4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help me with a bad Fogs relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:51 PM

Help me with a bad Fogs relay?

So as far as i know, the fogs haven't worked in my Maxima since i've owned it (which is less than a year). Today i went out and checked the bulbs, and they both look brand new. I checked the fuse box under the hood and the "15A" fuse for fogs didn't appear to be blown. So i got on here and did my search, and all i was able to find is bad wiring, a bad ground, or a bad relay. Now i don't know very much about wiring when it comes to cars, so i don't really want to mess with that unless i absolutely have to.

So my questions are:
How can you tell if a relay is bad, and if so, how do you replace one?
If it were a bad ground somewhere, is there any easy way to track this down? How would i go about grounding it if this is the case?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Whatchyou say?

Well, this is a good one. This might get a tad long, please bare with me. I'll do my best to help.

To start, let's look at what it could be. btw - FSM (field service manual) section EL - pg 54 - 55 cover this issue.

1. Bad switch?
2. Bad realy?
3. Wirring

Things you'll need:
screwdriver (phillips)
ohm meter

Let's start with #1 first. You can do this, it'll take about 5 minutes of time and a screw driver and that should let you know if it's a bad switch. You'll need to remove the steering wheel plastic shroud. A couple of screws on the bottom and a few tabs and it's off. Just becarful not to pry on the top peice and break it. You'll need to adjust the wheel up and down to remove the plastic. On the left hand side, you'll see the light switch, at the connector, look for a Green and a Yellow wire. These are the leads from the fog switch on the stalk. You'll need to use an ohm meter (very easy to use and cheap - any place usually has them) you want to (if you can get to the back side of the connector where the wires plug in, it's best, if not, carefully slice into the wire enough to stick the meter probe down onto the wire) probe the wires and turn the switch. *** NOTE - you need to have the light switch on (lights on) and in the low beam position. *** If you see (a digi meter will usually read OL or NG) OL / NG then turn the fog switch and you get 0.0 ohms, the switch is good. If you don't read 0.0 ohms, the switch is bad. Get a friend to help you if you need it, it's not difficult, but you say you don't know electronics, so it could help.

2. Bad relay? Possible, but not likely. I'd say the switch first, but then again, they do get equal use. The relay is under the hood and they usually just pull right out. You can do one of a few things here. To actaully test the relay is a PITA, but can be done if you know / understand how. The easy way to do it is to locate another relay that is the same (most of them are). Pull another relay (same from the ASCD (cruise controll) and swap it in. Just align it propperly and drop it in.

3. Wirring ... haaaaa, well the easy answer, it's not gonna be. It could be, but for both of them to not work, it's unlikely wirring.

Try step 2 first, it's easiest and costs nothing! Then if you still don't get results, check the switch. Post back ... let me know if any of this helps.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Wow, that was a lot haha, but thank you. Couple more questions though...

Regarding #1: I think i have a digital multimeter around the house somewhere, that can test ohms right? It has a positive and negative probe, and you said to check the yellow and green wire...which probe should go on which wire?

#2: I tried to pull out the relay earlier today...i took off the cover and gave the one that should be for fogs a good tug, but i couldn't get it to come out for anything...is there some trick to getting them out?
Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Whatchyou say?

Well ... sorry it was so long winded. MuhbadYo! lol

1. Doesn't matter which wire goes to what lead (black or red to either wire will give you the same results). And yes, a digital meter (at least all I have ever seen) can read Ohms.

2. Don't know of any trick off the top of my head. Sometimes there are little plastic tabs that 'lock' the relay in place. If you are careful, you can pop the plastic tabs. Problem is, they are under the relay, on the pins of the relay. Without looking at my Max (can't atm, at work) to tell you, I'm not sure, sorry.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:57 PM

Haha no man long is ok, we'll just call it comprehensive haha. Well i think i'll go check the relay tonight, gotta go to work in the morning so i don't really want my steering column all skeletal and stuff haha. I'll let you know what i find.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Whatchyou say?

I hope you can get it figured out. I'm a believer in 'it's gotta be something'.

On that relay, I recall on the cruise relay (ASCD) I used a small flat head screwdriver to pop the tab that was holding it in when I did the CC mod, not sure if the fogs is the same.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:09 PM

Well i went out there and pulled out the Fog relay, and then took the A/C relay (it was same color and had all the same numbers/markings on it) and swapped it in, and nothing....I had the lights set on low beams and fog switch on...So is it safe to assume it's the switch? Do they go bad often?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by aterfy27
Well i went out there and pulled out the Fog relay, and then took the A/C relay (it was same color and had all the same numbers/markings on it) and swapped it in, and nothing....I had the lights set on low beams and fog switch on...So is it safe to assume it's the switch? Do they go bad often?

I wouldn't say 'often' but they do go bad. You might be able to PM Maxima_joe and see if he has a stalk (with fog switch). He's a good guy to get used parts from. I've used him for several parts in the past and would again if need be.

I would say it's the switch. The contact points get worn out after so many years. That is also the drawback to getting a used stalk. If you want a new one, here's a link: best and cheapest I could find. This is for a 97' - don't know there's any difference. $60.00 aint too bad. Check the switch first, make sure you need it.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...220744-4654933