4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxprivate
We have 7 so far. One buyer has cash standing by and asked to anonymous. 7 buyers Mr Cats Lets Goooooooo!
Yes indeed. I received the same PM from Mr. Anonymous as well. Thanks Mr. Anonmous, that makes you #7.

Great to see you join in too aackshun!!

1. Maxprivate
2. The Wizard
3. The Wizard
4. Speedymax99
5. Schmellyfart
6. aackshun
7. Mr. Anonymous
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

come on we need one more person so we can get it started
Old 08-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Top of the week BUMP.

The 5th gen guys are enjoying their 3" Cattback, now it's time for us to do the same!

So, who's lucky number #8 gonna be??
Old 08-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

This will be a great exhaust for swaps, turbos, S/Cs, big-shot nitrous and built motor 4th gen Maximas! We can make it as soon as we have 8 confirmed orders.

Brian
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
interested.
Originally Posted by cardana24
me too
Old 08-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Black Lion

Come on guys one more and we are in business!!! Lets be the first to experience Cattmans 3" exhaust for the 4th gen
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Tempting. Was planning on upgrading to a 3" or 3.5" exhaust and of course doing back to back dyno runs with my VQ30DEK to measure the gains, if any. Just as I did with the Cattman headers.

I know fitment will be spot on, even with the stock muffler. However will all the flanges be stainless or at least nickel plated on this 600 ~ 800 dollar catback? I don't want anymore rusty exhaust flange syndrome that seems to plague every exhaust part that is made for a Maxima.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

We typically nickel-plate our 3/8" carbon plate flanges, but stainless steel is a poor choice for a flange material because it expands and contracts with heat much more than mild steel, and it can work the nuts/bolt loose over time. Stainless head flanges on header manifolds can actually pull the studs loose over time, which is a real bummer.

Brian
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
I know fitment will be spot on, even with the stock muffler.
As me and my demented self actually tried to fit the stock muffler on this system, I found it would take a little work, since the 3" flange is quite large in comparison to the OEM A33 and the flange holes do not line up.

BUT, the with a little work, they would and the old flange is right where it should be WRT to the Cattman system and OEM rear piece(this is for the A33).
Old 08-13-2010, 12:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
As me and my demented self actually tried to fit the stock muffler on this system, I found it would take a little work, since the 3" flange is quite large in comparison to the OEM A33 and the flange holes do not line up.

BUT, the with a little work, they would and the old flange is right where it should be WRT to the Cattman system and OEM rear piece(this is for the A33).

Due to the difference in flange sizes (between 3" and stock), I've been telling people that they're not really interchangeable, and what you've said about a bolt hole mismatch confirms that. However, its useful to know that the rear b-pipe and muffler flanges meet up where they're supposed to, that makes what you're doing possible.

Thanks for the information!

Brian
Old 08-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Blown

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Yes indeed. I received the same PM from Mr. Anonymous as well. Thanks Mr. Anonmous, that makes you #7.

Great to see you join in too aackshun!!

1. Maxprivate
2. The Wizard
3. The Wizard
4. Speedymax99
5. Schmellyfart
6. aackshun
7. Mr. Anonymous
8. cardana24
I'm in, do we know how much 30% is yet?
Old 08-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Awesome. Thanks for joining cardana24.

Now that we have 8, I'm sure Brian will let us know what 30% equates to, and the next step for all of us. If anyone else would like a 3" catback, please add your name to the list as well. The more the merrier.

1. Maxprivate
2. The Wizard
3. The Wizard
4. Speedymax99
5. Schmellyfart
6. aackshun
7. Mr. Anonymous
8. cardana24
Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Black Lion

YES!! We did it! Thanks to all for joining in, Im sure we will not be disappointed.

Brian are we going to be using a nice 3" exhaust tip like we used for the 2.5 exhaust? Don't forget to take into account that the rear bumper of the 97's is a bit longer than the 95/96 max (Im sure you know what your doing). Just a reminder so the muffler tip sits a slight bit past the bumper on the 97/99's. The muffler tip for my 2.5 sits a bit passed my bumper now and its perfect.

On to the next step Brian. Please fill us in.

Last edited by maxprivate; 08-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM

I'm really looking forward to this!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 PM

I'm definitely doing a before and after dyno, I just hope I can still afford the 30% and Headers!!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by aackshun
I'm definitely doing a before and after dyno, I just hope I can still afford the 30% and Headers!!!!
Your looking into getting the Cattman headers as well? Im not sure if the 3" exhasut that will soon be in production will bolt up to it. I have the Cattman headers now I believe they are 2 and 1/4", (someone correct me if Im wrong) in any event I'll be selling mine and going back to stock headers for the turbo.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
dot dot dot ...

Your looking into getting the Cattman headers as well? Im not sure if the 3" exhasut that will soon be in production will bolt up to it. I have the Cattman headers now I believe they are 2 and 1/4", (someone correct me if Im wrong) in any event I'll be selling mine and going back to stock headers for the turbo.
Cattman may chime in, but even then I have Cattmans Gen I headers (originally for the 3.0) and they work fine. Flanges & all bolt up.

IIRC, there is discussion about this on the 1st page of this thread.

Now, a 3" y-pipe would be fun.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Cattman may chime in, but even then I have Cattmans Gen I headers (originally for the 3.0) and they work fine. Flanges & all bolt up.

I'm pretty sure he tried that... Who knows if they're open tomoro I'd gladly spend another 30+ mins talkin to Brian.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:20 AM
Black Lion

I'm in, do we know how much 30% is yet?
If the price is say about 700, then times 700 by .30 that will give you 210. basically multiply what ever the price is by .30 and that will give you your 30%
Old 08-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Blown

If the price is say about 700, then times 700 by .30 that will give you 210. basically multiply what ever the price is by .30 and that will give you your 30%
hahahahah...I know how to do math. That's just my way of saying let me know when we know how much it will cost.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:07 PM

No, OBX's. Not going into detail why.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Black Lion

hahahahah...I know how to do math. That's just my way of saying let me know when we know how much it will cost.
got ya, believe it or not some people don't know how to figure out percentages.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

YES!! We did it! Thanks to all for joining in, Im sure we will not be disappointed.

Brian are we going to be using a nice 3" exhaust tip like we used for the 2.5 exhaust? Don't forget to take into account that the rear bumper of the 97's is a bit longer than the 95/96 max (Im sure you know what your doing). Just a reminder so the muffler tip sits a slight bit past the bumper on the 97/99's. The muffler tip for my 2.5 sits a bit passed my bumper now and its perfect.

On to the next step Brian. Please fill us in.

Not sure what tip we'll use. Since the opening at the end of the muffler has to be a minimum of 3", the tip might need to be slightly larger, but that's based on fabrication details that I'll need to discuss with my exhaust partner. We don't do grapefruit shooters, so no worries about that.

My favorite is always the clean, single-walled stainless steel tip, slightly slant-cut, like we use on the 5th gen - not dual tips, of course, but a larger version with a single tip.

Keeping in mind this isn't our first rodeo with the 4th gen catback, we've never made two different mufflers, just a matter of averaging out the difference in length - one size fits all.

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

The outlet of our header y-pipe is 2.5", and if a Cattman FastCat is involved, that opens up to 2.75" and the catback of course is 3.0". All fit perfectly (even with a stock cat) and may I point out that this is the perfect transition?

Quite a few turbo builds have incorporated our headers with excellent results, but that really depends on the approach the system designer takes and how radical it will be. They work great in an 8-9lb system (or up to 350-375whp), but in all honesty, I don't think that tubular headers are appropriate on big-turbo builds. You really have to use a cast iron product (ideally a plenum-style cast manifold like JWT designed for their Z turbo) to stand up to the incredible heat and stress of a high boost/big turbo system. Nobody's going to design a cast product for one or a few turbo systems, so that leaves the stock manifolds (after a honing, I assume).

Brian
Old 08-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Already chimed in on the other part, but I'm not sure about a 3" y-pipe if its attached to stock manifolds. If everything remains stock between the engine and two y-pipe downpipes, increasing the diameter of the y-pipe outlet would not necessarily make power. I prefer to emphasize exhaust velocity going into the cat, smaller-larger-larger, as it goes from Y to cat to catback. Larger-smaller-larger, with the cat as the bottleneck, isn't so great. IMHO, even "same-same-same", with a 3" y-pipe, cat and catback, wouldnt be ideal.

Brian

Last edited by Cattman; 08-15-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by Cattman
The outlet of our header y-pipe is 2.5", and if a Cattman FastCat is involved, that opens up to 2.75" and the catback of course is 3.0". All fit perfectly (even with a stock cat) and may I point out that this is the perfect transition?

Quite a few turbo builds have incorporated our headers with excellent results, but that really depends on the approach the system designer takes and how radical it will be. They work great in an 8-9lb system (or up to 350-375whp), but in all honesty, I don't think that tubular headers are appropriate on big-turbo builds. You really have to use a cast iron product (ideally a plenum-style cast manifold like JWT designed for their Z turbo) to stand up to the incredible heat and stress of a high boost/big turbo system. Nobody's going to design a cast product for one or a few turbo systems, so that leaves the stock manifolds (after a honing, I assume).

Brian
This is great news, now at least I will be able to reuse the Fast cat with the 3" exhaust . Im assuming that the 1/4" difference between the Cat and exhaust wouldn't hurt power output of the turbo. I also heard about the headers and the possibility of them not be able to with stand the added heat and pressure, which is why Im going back to the stock headers. Good to hear you confirm this.

Not sure what tip we'll use. Since the opening at the end of the muffler has to be a minimum of 3", the tip might need to be slightly larger, but that's based on fabrication details that I'll need to discuss with my exhaust partner. We don't do grapefruit shooters, so no worries about that.

My favorite is always the clean, single-walled stainless steel tip, slightly slant-cut, like we use on the 5th gen - not dual tips, of course, but a larger version with a single tip.

Keeping in mind this isn't our first rodeo with the 4th gen catback, we've never made two different mufflers, just a matter of averaging out the difference in length - one size fits all.

Brian
An enlarged version of the 2.5" exhaust tip would be awesome. In addition, it would fill in the exhaust cut out on the bumper a bit more snug.

Last edited by maxprivate; 08-16-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Most turbo systems aren't intended to make over 350-375 whp, so the headers will work great (add power primarily at the top end), but if you're going to get crazier than that the stresses are too intense and the higher boost levels makes that flow less critical.

Brian
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Black Lion

Most turbo systems aren't intended to make over 350-375 whp, so the headers will work great (add power primarily at the top end), but if you're going to get crazier than that the stresses are too intense and the higher boost levels makes that flow less critical.

Brian
Yes, Im not looking on making over 350 whp and I doubt I could with the Vq30 without blowing up the motor.

I heard from a member here that the Cattman headers need to be chopped up to make the custom pipes to weld/v band ( which ever method to connect the pipes) to it. He told me Im better off using the stock headers and selling the cattmans, also he said the bigger headers ( cattmans ) will cause turbo lag so stock headers were the way to go. Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Yes, Im not looking on making over 350 whp and I doubt I could with the Vq30 without blowing up the motor.

I heard from a member here that the Cattman headers need to be chopped up to make the custom pipes to weld/v band ( which ever method to connect the pipes) to it. He told me Im better off using the stock headers and selling the cattmans, also he said the bigger headers ( cattmans ) will cause turbo lag so stock headers were the way to go. Can anyone else confirm this?

There are many different ways to configure a turbo build. We've sold several manifold pairs to builders who were going to leave them intact. In a couple of cases, the turbo designer even wanted to modify the y-pipe. It was going to be chopped and changed, but that builder figured he was farther ahead by modifying our y-pipe than building one from scratch.

Figure out who you want to do it, work out the design details, and let them determine what to do about manifolds.

Brian
Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Black Lion

There are many different ways to configure a turbo build. We've sold several manifold pairs to builders who were going to leave them intact. In a couple of cases, the turbo designer even wanted to modify the y-pipe. It was going to be chopped and changed, but that builder figured he was farther ahead by modifying our y-pipe than building one from scratch.

Figure out who you want to do it, work out the design details, and let them determine what to do about manifolds.

Brian
Yeah, thats exactly what I'll do when Im ready to have the pipes made up. I was just concerned about having a slow turbo spool do to the larger diameter of the headers as compared to stock. Thanks for your input.

Please Update us when your ready to get his exhaust system made up. We have 8 buyers now so we should be ready to roll.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

bump so what going on ? when is this going to start ?
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Black Lion

Im thinking the same, waiting to hear from Cattman on the next step.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Bump!
Old 08-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

OK, now things get serious! Initial response has been good, but now we start the "real" list that will determine if this project moves forward.

Introductory "early order" price for the first batch of Cattman 3" catbacks for the 95-99 Maxima will be $725/unit. A 30% non-refundable deposit of $220 will be required, but I won't charge any CCs until we have at least 8 orders in hand. So, no payments until we know we have the minimum # of orders.

I expect development to proceed quickly since there's a donor vehicle available and we're modifying an existing part rather than developing a new one, so I'll estimate 5 weeks between the fitment session and a finished product (perhaps a bit sooner).

We take orders by phone at 800.759.9920 and I'm usually available to answer any questions too. Our hours are 9-5 MST/PDT, M-F.

Place your orders ASAP and lets get this project rolling!

Brian
Old 08-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Black Lion

OK, now things get serious! Initial response has been good, but now we start the "real" list that will determine if this project moves forward.

Introductory "early order" price for the first batch of Cattman 3" catbacks for the 95-99 Maxima will be $725/unit. A 30% non-refundable deposit of $220 will be required, but I won't charge any CCs until we have at least 8 orders in hand. So, no payments until we know we have the minimum # of orders.

I expect development to proceed quickly since there's a donor vehicle available and we're modifying an existing part rather than developing a new one, so I'll estimate 5 weeks between the fitment session and a finished product (perhaps a bit sooner).

We take orders by phone at 800.759.9920 and I'm usually available to answer any questions too. Our hours are 9-5 MST/PDT, M-F.

Brian
Time to step up fellas, Brian I'll give you a call either tonight or tomorrow for that deposit.

Is the exhaust going to have a resonator?
Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Give me some time, been delayed by my radiator.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Brian
Will there be a different design for the '95~'96 vs the '97 ~ '99 in regards to the exhaust tip sitting flush with the bumper? I know the '97 ~ '99 are more popular so I am assuming the tip will sit flush with those bumpers and stick out a bit on the '95 ~ '96 bumpers. Id like a 3" exhaust tip as well keeping it low profile and classy, not some 5" chrome cannon tip.

Reason I ask is that I want to have the muffler hidden as much as possible. I might spray paint my existing Remus muffler setup black. Cali may have bad smog laws but all aftermarket exhausts are illegal in Mass, regardless if they are below the DOT approved level for exhaust noise levels. It is the officer's choice to ticket you, no sound dB meter is needed. So most cops ticket younger people driving import cars or ticket if exhaust sounds like something the cop doesn't like. I am getting sick of cops seeing my car's shiny muffler and then tailing my car for a couple miles especially at night.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
Will there be a different design for the '95~'96 vs the '97 ~ '99 in regards to the exhaust tip sitting flush with the bumper? I know the '97 ~ '99 are more popular so I am assuming the tip will sit flush with those bumpers and stick out a bit on the '95 ~ '96 bumpers. Id like a 3" exhaust tip as well keeping it low profile and classy, not some 5" chrome cannon tip.

Reason I ask is that I want to have the muffler hidden as much as possible. I might spray paint my existing Remus muffler setup black. Cali may have bad smog laws but all aftermarket exhausts are illegal in Mass, regardless if they are below the DOT approved level for exhaust noise levels. It is the officer's choice to ticket you, no sound dB meter is needed. So most cops ticket younger people driving import cars or ticket if exhaust sounds like something the cop doesn't like. I am getting sick of cops seeing my car's shiny muffler and then tailing my car for a couple miles especially at night.
The exhaust tip will sit past the bumper about 1" or so for the 97. I have the 2.5 Cattman exhaust and it sits past my bumper as mentioned above. Brian said it will be about the same for the 3" exhaust. The exhaust tip will hopefully be no bigger than 4" diameter Im assuming.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:28 PM

Does the $725/unit include a resonator?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'm not a fan of grapefruit-shooters and I know you guys aren't either. Depending on how the muffler is actually constructed (it will be built in-house, not purchased) the tip will either be the same diameter as the tubing inside of the muffler (3") or slightly larger (3.5" at the outside).

Resonated? Oh yes, gotta be for all except perhaps turbo owners. Let's put it this way, if you DON'T want a resonator, let me know when you order. I'll knock $40 off the price, but that makes it a custom order because few will want it this way... I'll discuss with whomever wants it this way.

Tips... Seems like this came up already, but maybe I discussed in a PM. I realize there's a slight change in bumper "protrusion" between 96/97, but we've always taken a one-size-fits-all approach that's worked out pretty good. That said, we'll be eyeballing the design so that its the minimum length that makes sense on the 98 fitment car, and that will work fine on the 95/96.

BTW, when I'm measuring the tip relative to the muffler, I'm looking directly down (perpendicular to the ground) and measuring the tip against the edge of the bumper that sticks out the farthest (a few inches above the tip), not the opening in the rear valance.

I suppose its possible to paint the muffler, but it tends to come off. A customer asked recently about having another muffler we make ceramic coated in black or dark grey (everything but the tip) because he wanted to be as stealth as possible. There is a coater by our exhaust partners, and I'm looking into prices, so that could be a possibility as a custom option. I think it would be pretty cool.

Finally, I don't want seem like I'm picking on anybody, but I'll point out that all it takes is a couple guys who "aren't ready yet" and this project goes on hold. That's always the challenge. Not so hard to find a group of people who will say "me, me", but that can fall apart if a few drop out when it comes time to put up. That's why I won't take any deposits until I'm holding the minimum # (8) of paper orders.

Brian

Last edited by Cattman; 08-25-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Gauging Interest in a 3" exhaust from Cattman