4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th Gen 99 Maxima GLE Lot's of Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:25 PM

4th Gen 99 Maxima GLE Lot's of Problems

Hey Guys I've been searching around here since I've fired my mechanic and refuse to shell out a mortgage payment to these stealerships, dead beat local shops and chains.

This is what I brought for $1k with 93k miles at the time of purchase, she has 113k miles on it now.

I brought her with damage to the right fender, hood and rt side marker lights missing.

Had the fender replace with brand new, hood repaired, purchases clear diamond bumper lights and got a side marker light at the junk yard and painted half the car all for $936.00 Total.

Making a purchase price of $1936.00 I thought at that time I had a great deal until mechanical things began to happen.

The alternator was going bad so I took it too Nissan Dealership in my area and was quoted a way out there f8ckin mind price well seeing what I spent in labor after going to a back alley mechanic I might as well paid nissan. I went thru five alternator in 1yr @ $70 each to install. The six alternator I put in myself last week thanks to the org.

I knew I couldn't afford a stealership nor did I trust local shops and those chain shop love to up sale for other stuff you don't need with scare tactics. So I'm asking if the car is worth everything else that needs to be done.

Engine:
Knock Sensor (needs)
EGR tube cleaned (needs)
Alternator (done six times) sixth I did myself
Starter (done)
new plugs NGK Plat (done myself)
Coil pack (3 fronts done myself)
fuel filter ( done)
air filter (done)
PCV (needs)

Trans:
fluild change (needs) a little brown color right now
Filter (needs cleaning or replaced)
Axles (needs both)
note: works ok at this moment

Suspension:
Ball joints (needs)
Sway bar Bushing (needs)
Sway bar Links (needs)
Shocks/Struts (done)
Springs (not sure if I need to replace)
Tie rods ends Inner and Outer (needs)

Brake:
rear rotors (done myself)
rear pad (done myself)
rear caliper (I rebuilt myself)
Front rotors (need)
Front pad (should replace with new rotors?)
Front caliper (look good but will service myself)

any suggestion will be taking grateful and appreciated. Oh and any locals of Baltimore would love your assistance.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by najee1062; 07-29-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by najee1062
Engine:
Knock Sensor (needs)
EGR tube cleaned (needs)
Alternator (done six times) sixth I did myself
Starter (done)
new plugs NGK Plat (done myself)
Coil pack (3 fronts done myself)
fuel filter ( done)
air filter (done)
PCV (needs)

Trans:
fluild change (needs) a little brown color right now
Filter (needs cleaning or replaced)
Axles (needs both)
note: works ok at this moment

Suspension:
Ball joints (needs)
Sway bar Bushing (needs)
Sway bar Links (needs)
Shocks/Struts (done)
Springs (not sure if I need to replace)
Tie rods ends Inner and Outer (needs)

Brake:
rear rotors (done myself)
rear pad (done myself)
rear caliper (I rebuilt myself)
Front rotors (need)
Front pad (should replace with new rotors?)
Front caliper (look good but will service myself)

If you are going to do everything yourself, it is definitely worth it. Everything on your list is typical for the mileage/age of your car. Why don't you price everything out in a spreadsheet and see if it is worth it to you. If it adds up to 5000.00, would you be able to find a 5000 dollar car in that sort of shape with as many new parts? Probably not. Here is what I am doing to my 1999 Max to keep her going (All myself):

Front axles: $128.00
Front rotors: $40.00
Front Pads: $ 30.00
Struts: $ 248.00
Belts: $40.00
Gear oil change: $60.00
Rear Caliper Brackets: $40.00

TOTAL: $586.00

We all reach the turning point with these cars, especially when they were 10+ years old. To me, the repairs are worth it for a very reliable car.

Last edited by 99sagelimited; 07-29-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by 99sagelimited
If you are going to do everything yourself, it is definitely worth it. Everything on your list is typical for the mileage/age of your car. Why don't you price everything out in a spreadsheet and see if it is worth it to you. If it adds up to 5000.00, would you be able to find a 5000 dollar car in that sort of shape with as many new parts? Probably not. Here is what I am doing to my 1999 Max to keep her going (All myself):

Front axles: $128.00
Front rotors: $40.00
Front Pads: $ 30.00
Struts: $ 248.00
Belts: $40.00
Gear oil change: $60.00
Rear Caliper Brackets: $40.00

TOTAL: $586.00

We all reach the turning point with these cars, especially when they were 10+ years old. To me, the repairs are worth it for a very reliable car.
I've spent that and more already and you're right I think it's worth it but I need to be sure. Where are you getting axles for 128.00? and I did all of what you have on your list except Gear oil change... you have a 5speed...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Yeah. I have the 5-speed. 132,000 miles too. I bought it with 90,000 miles and only had to do a coil pack and exhaust in that time.

I got the axles from advance auto. The brand is GSP, which many orgers advise against, but they have a lifetime warranty and they are new, not reman's. I baby my car and it isn't lowered, so I am not worried about wrecking them.

I also forgot to add a fan relay to the list. I need this soon.

BTW, your car is in great shape cosmetically.

Last edited by 99sagelimited; 07-29-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:34 PM

car looks great and has low mileage, none of problems is big deal, IMAO worth fixing
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM

You have low mileage for the age of the car man, its worth it if you do it yourself and shop around for parts there's alot of good prices on parts on the net google is your friend
Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 PM

Listen man, that car is worth keeping and fixing.Your problems are minor but the issue with the alternator blowing out 6 times in a year, is an issue that should have been checked by the mechanic that worked on the car. Absolutely there is a problem with the charging system which needs to be rectified. How are the alternators dying?? Did you ever replace the battery during the times you replaced all 6 alternators??
Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM

I'm sure you can find a maxima guy or guys in your area to help you out with anything you need done to it provided you have pizza and beer on hand. I dont know what you americans eat on such occasions but beer, pizza and the occasional post work kush does the job for us canucks

p.s. it's a great way to learn and to start knowing your car.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Listen man, that car is worth keeping and fixing.Your problems are minor but the issue with the alternator blowing out 6 times in a year, is an issue that should have been checked by the mechanic that worked on the car. Absolutely there is a problem with the charging system which needs to be rectified. How are the alternators dying?? Did you ever replace the battery during the times you replaced all 6 alternators??
My battery is only a year and a half. The original one I believe went dead when my battery was bad and I kept getting hot shots instead of just replacing it. Once I replaced the battery is when I started replacing alternators. Plus they are refurb. alternators with 3year warranty from a local parts store (Salvo's) I think they're just cheap. 2nd one wouldn't charge after a day, third one had bad brushes, forth one lasted a almost a year and the brushes went bad. the fifth one diodes and the six one I put in. Check all wires clean the all ground connects. so far so good.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Me[kk]A
I'm sure you can find a maxima guy or guys in your area to help you out with anything you need done to it provided you have pizza and beer on hand. I dont know what you americans eat on such occasions but beer, pizza and the occasional post work kush does the job for us canucks

p.s. it's a great way to learn and to start knowing your car.
That's no Problem... just havn't found anyone yet. I'm just learning myself from you guys on the org. and I don't mind getting my hands dirty for the next guy needs help. I like buffalo wings and Bud Lime myself...LOL

Last edited by najee1062; 07-29-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by 99sagelimited
Yeah. I have the 5-speed. 132,000 miles too. I bought it with 90,000 miles and only had to do a coil pack and exhaust in that time.

I got the axles from advance auto. The brand is GSP, which many orgers advise against, but they have a lifetime warranty and they are new, not reman's. I baby my car and it isn't lowered, so I am not worried about wrecking them.

I also forgot to add a fan relay to the list. I need this soon.

BTW, your car is in great shape cosmetically.
Good looking out... Love that color you have... I never seen one in that sage green ever.

Last edited by najee1062; 07-29-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:53 AM

clean her up man. whats wrong with u

I seen 99s with 150k+ selling for over $2999. Think how much yurs worth
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM

Ive seen them go for $3500
Old 07-31-2010, 10:44 PM

Thanks guys for the confidences... I really didn't realize what I have. I was almost about to sell her and was thinking of selling $2500 OBO. no dice now!!!! anybody in the Baltimore area willing to look at her and tell me what they would do next?
Old 07-31-2010, 11:12 PM

keep the car man, AND PLEASE CLEAN IT UP, leather treat those seats and shine them up mine turn out sooo damn clean after a clean. trust me all those problems are minor. that car is good for another 200,000 miles,its fully loaded also man its nice inside.

i have 295k miles, original motor i race it a lot and drive 120 miles a day monday through saturday. what have i done to this car? everything is original except except regular wear and tear items.

i just found out i got original 1995 295k mile alternator OEM and i got a 2000 watt stereo system. go to dealer and buy OEM alternator or go to junkyard and see if their s OEM in one of them. i hate remans waste of time.

the last 95k miles i have had ZERO problems. only thing i do is my oil changes. the only major work i had to do is the tranny gave at 280k miles because i was doing burnouts in 2nd gear and trying 3rd gear and screwed it allll up. i have driven the hell out my car and only changed minor stuff.

i have been through lots of cars and trust me these maximas are like the ost durable cars out their.

oh and to make you feel better i been driving with bad knock sensor for over a year and a half and still getting 20MPG and still smoking new Impalas,jettas,malibu cars with bigger motors then me and 1/4 the miles of my motor. im proud of the maxima and definitely will have mine for a while.

Last edited by TravisCadello; 07-31-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
keep the car man, AND PLEASE CLEAN IT UP, leather treat those seats and shine them up mine turn out sooo damn clean after a clean. trust me all those problems are minor. that car is good for another 200,000 miles,its fully loaded also man its nice inside.

i have 295k miles, original motor i race it a lot and drive 120 miles a day monday through saturday. what have i done to this car? everything is original except except regular wear and tear items.

i just found out i got original 1995 295k mile alternator OEM and i got a 2000 watt stereo system. go to dealer and buy OEM alternator or go to junkyard and see if their s OEM in one of them. i hate remans waste of time.

the last 95k miles i have had ZERO problems. only thing i do is my oil changes. the only major work i had to do is the tranny gave at 280k miles because i was doing burnouts in 2nd gear and trying 3rd gear and screwed it allll up. i have driven the hell out my car and only changed minor stuff.

i have been through lots of cars and trust me these maximas are like the ost durable cars out their.

oh and to make you feel better i been driving with bad knock sensor for over a year and a half and still getting 20MPG and still smoking new Impalas,jettas,malibu cars with bigger motors then me and 1/4 the miles of my motor. im proud of the maxima and definitely will have mine for a while.
Thanks guy... I have clean her up since these last pic. these were taking a year ago. I have no power what so ever and couldn't beat a turtle. I don't know what's wrong at this point... I thought maybe it was the knock sensor but idk. Still in working progress on that solution. What did you use on your leather seats?
Old 08-01-2010, 12:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you can do the work yourself then definitely keep it. Are you showing any CEL's?
Just take your time and read on the org...we will help you.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
If you can do the work yourself then definitely keep it. Are you showing any CEL's?
Thanks guy, I'm definitely trying. Glad I found you guys and the org. I can say I'm a D-I-Y mechanic now...LOL
Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 PM

i got a leather care spray from autozone and cleaned em up and made them moisturise up and then black majic protectant sprayed it and they SHINE for weeks.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
i got a leather care spray from autozone and cleaned em up and made them moisturise up and then black majic protectant sprayed it and they SHINE for weeks.
Kool i'll make sure I pick up some of that next trip to the zone.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
Yea I do have one code... I can't remember what is was right now. but I know it had something to do with faulty curcuit and it has a miss fire somewhere but there no codes for where or maybe that one code has something to do with that.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Like everyone said man, keep it and fix it. Let it be your learning car and dont be afraid to break anything as you do have us

Basically, if you go down that list and compare to your current mileage.. its all really just routine maintenance and if some of that stuff is original (which I'm almost positive it is) then it certainly is overdue and actually lasted longer than the replacement intervals are. Just replace the parts and you'll probably never have to replace them again for a very long time. Unless you get ****ty aftermarket parts. Stick to OEM and you'll own this car for many years to come.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Like everyone said man, keep it and fix it. Let it be your learning car and dont be afraid to break anything as you do have us

Basically, if you go down that list and compare to your current mileage.. its all really just routine maintenance and if some of that stuff is original (which I'm almost positive it is) then it certainly is overdue and actually lasted longer than the replacement intervals are. Just replace the parts and you'll probably never have to replace them again for a very long time. Unless you get ****ty aftermarket parts. Stick to OEM and you'll own this car for many years to come.
@colombianMax, I most certainly will take your advice on keeping her and not using that crappy aftermarket stuff. Looking over the car you're right it's all original except for the parts I replace already. So Yea I will be making this one a learning tool. thanks guys for stopping a big mistake of selling her.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
clean her up man. whats wrong with u

I seen 99s with 150k+ selling for over $2999. Think how much yurs worth
Mine is nearly 190K right now... bought with 184K on it. .....

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Ive seen them go for $3500
Paying 4K for mine (but it's in really good 'Mechanical' shape, and has a JWT ECU).

Originally Posted by najee1062
Thanks guy, I'm definitely trying. Glad I found you guys and the org. I can say I'm a D-I-Y mechanic now...LOL
Once you know the basics of 'maintaining' your Maxima - you'll find it to be a great car, and you got yours for a STEAL. As for the Alternator... get a lifetime warranty - and they replace it (you install)...

Seriously nice looking Maxima.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by SiathLinux
Mine is nearly 190K right now... bought with 184K on it. .....

Paying 4K for mine (but it's in really good 'Mechanical' shape, and has a JWT ECU).

Once you know the basics of 'maintaining' your Maxima - you'll find it to be a great car, and you got yours for a STEAL. As for the Alternator... get a lifetime warranty - and they replace it (you install)...

Seriously nice looking Maxima.
Thanks Guy.... I do have a 3year warranty and they won't last a good 1 and a half... so it's seems like a lifetime. LOL and I don't want to keep changing one either. Next one will be OEM
Old 08-20-2010, 04:19 PM

Did a interior clean this week... you guys told me to clean her up. So the process has began...LOL

rear seat cleaned and conditioned

Fronts cleaned and conditioned and reinstalled.

Next I will clean the engine, finishing off with Clay Bar and glazing of the paint finish. Pic of that once done.

Any other things I maybe forgetting let me know
Thanks guys

Note: Pic are awful I will be doing new pic in digital or HD of the finished works

Last edited by najee1062; 08-20-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:34 PM

im glad you decided to keep her, as everyone else said multiple times these are reliable cars if properly taken of, they'll last you longer than any of these new cars will. after your done with all the cosmetic stuff then you can throw in a 00vi and then some lol. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by mista0406
im glad you decided to keep her, as everyone else said multiple times these are reliable cars if properly taken of, they'll last you longer than any of these new cars will. after your done with all the cosmetic stuff then you can throw in a 00vi and then some lol. good luck and keep us posted.
I sure will keep you guys posted on everything done.... Also love the grill set up you have
Old 08-24-2010, 01:12 AM

Your '99 really isn't that bad off -- keep at it! My '95 was recently in a similar state, and with a little bit of help from my father-in-law, it's condition has improved substantially and I've completely weaned myself off the local mechanic I had been using to keep it running. I feel a lot more confident about the car now after doing these repairs myself and don't see any reason why it won't go another 150K.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by ugufru
Your '99 really isn't that bad off -- keep at it! My '95 was recently in a similar state, and with a little bit of help from my father-in-law, it's condition has improved substantially and I've completely weaned myself off the local mechanic I had been using to keep it running. I feel a lot more confident about the car now after doing these repairs myself and don't see any reason why it won't go another 150K.
From the feedback I've had I decided to keep her and work on her myself... I've definitely fired my mechanic and will never allow another mechanic to even touch her without my supervision. Most of the problems have been taking care of except for some suspension work. She definitely will do another 150k.

Thanks guy for your feedback