4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman vs Warpspeed Y-Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:41 PM

Cattman vs Warpspeed Y-Pipe

So thinking about getting a Y-pipe and axleback for my 99 i30, is the $100 more for the Cattman versus the 250 for the Warpspeed really worth it? I'd be running the cattman axleback on it either way, unless warpspeed makes one also.

Thanks,
J-RAD
Old 07-31-2010, 11:52 PM
4th Gen Parts King

I would go with Cattman. I have owned 2 Warpspeed y-pipes and the inner flex collapsed on both of them with very low mileage. Dallas at Warpspeed did offer to repair them but I never sent them in.
Also if your a Cali spec I would recomend changing to a fed spec front exhaust manifold and getting a fed spec y-pipe.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:52 AM

How do i know which one I am? I got a 1999 I30 non touring
Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 AM
4th Gen Parts King

So how do I tell if my car is Cali or Fed spec?

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California
Old 08-01-2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima_Joe
So how do I tell if my car is Cali or Fed spec?

Raise your hood. Look for a shiny metal identification tag fastened to the passenger side of firewall. The top row is the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with J. The second row is model information. The first five characters are BLHUL. The 12th character is the destination:

N = Canada
V = California
U = US, not California
Ima guess its a U since its been in MN since day 1
Old 08-01-2010, 08:01 AM

well no it could still be a cali spec, i live in jersey and i wound up with a cali spec and its been registered in jersey its whole life.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go with the Cattman, and like above, Cali's are everywhere (PA)
Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Go with Cattman.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Got Retrofit?

Definitely go with Cattman.

I used to have a Warpspeed and my flex section collapsed as well.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 AM

damn im gettin scared now about my warpspeed
Old 08-01-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by eFLO
damn im gettin scared now about my warpspeed
Yea me too, but you can always just get a new flex section welded in. Besides, wasn't the flex section a problem with the early warpspeed's? I thought they fixed that problem, didn't they?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Cattman no doubt. Thicker tubing which will keep the the noise in check as well as durability, better welds, better flex section etc etc
Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 PM

You get what you pay for. I think a lot of the flex sections go bad on the 4th gens though because I have been through two of them.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 AM

Just bought myself a SS version from WS
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM

Anyone know the sound difference between warpspeed's and cattmann's? I am ordering one in the next few days and want a y pipe that offers less sound.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Nismo
Yea me too, but you can always just get a new flex section welded in. Besides, wasn't the flex section a problem with the early warpspeed's? I thought they fixed that problem, didn't they?
Yes Warpspeed has updated the flex section and claims it's better than there original version and better than there competitors(Cattman). I'm getting ready to buy y-pipe myself and have been looking into same issues.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:18 AM

i had a warpspeed y pipe for many years and that thing is still solid. it is aluminized steel and you can feel the hp gains as soon as you put it on. and as for cattman the price is very high and i bet the quality is the same so i would go with warpspeed its the bang for the buck
Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TurboA32
i had a warpspeed y pipe for many years and that thing is still solid. it is aluminized steel and you can feel the hp gains as soon as you put it on. and as for cattman the price is very high and i bet the quality is the same so i would go with warpspeed its the bang for the buck
Quality is not the same between the two. I've compared them side by side. Cattman wins hands down for multiple reasons.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Quality is not the same between the two. I've compared them side by side. Cattman wins hands down for multiple reasons.
well i kno warpspeed is good quality and i bet the hp gain are the same
Old 08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TurboA32
well i kno warpspeed is good quality and i bet the hp gain are the same
The definition of "good quality" is subjective it seems...

Have you done a dyno comparison? Any more blanket statements you care to add?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Any more blanket statements you care to add?
I agree. That was a blanket statement, but... The same question could be asked of you.
Seems a little vague. Maybe it would help if you were specific about the quality differences.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:56 AM

The definition of "good quality" is subjective it seems...

Have you done a dyno comparison? Any more blanket statements you care to add?
lol you are funny. and i did mention it was quality i just added my "blanket statements" because i wanted to. i jus wouldnt just buy a y pipe for just the quality just my .02 so dont take it personal lol
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM

HP gains vs cattman and warpspeed are minimal at best... The extreme difference in price comes from the quality of the pipe itself.

My warpspeed is falling apart as we speak and developed a few leaks (I have to admit @ WOT it sounds pretty damn sweet), I'd just accept it and be like "sure that's what I get if I lived in the north" where one has to deal with exhaust degrading climates, but this y-pipe has been in texas most of it's life and has NOT seen a Kansan winter.

If you don't plan on going far with your maxima, i'd suggest spending the money on a cattman Y-pipe, cause it WILL last, unless you're going to use the money you saved on the Y-pipe purchase to make some alterations to it to help it last longer/perform better.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 PM

You can always have it coated with some exhaust primer/paint to help them live longer. I also believe that they offer 2 differn't type y-pipes- aluminum or 304 SS mig for 50 bucks more.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:45 PM

welcome to conjecture

I posted, admittedly in the wrong thread, about this same question.

From what I can tell, many SAY that cattman is better, and have zero hard data to back up that claim.

I basically called Cattman out and said, 'uhh, why dont YOU do the comparison yourself?' - got nothing in response.

Everyone on here loves to ride Cattman's nuts, so you have to take that into account. That being said, I am sure Cattman's Y is of high quality. But to base your purchasing decision on a few heads saying 'oh my ws flex section went bad', is retarded. also, blindly subscribing to the theory of 'you get what you pay for' is totally antiquated and doesnt hold up 50% of the time anyway.

SHOW me EXACTLY why cattman's pipe is better. SHOW me EXACTLY why WSP's pipe is worse. Cant be done. and until someone can give a really solid answer as to why Catt's pipe is $150 more, i really see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt over a very reputable company.

long story short - no one knows which is better.

Last edited by illgiveyathetick; 08-05-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by illgiveyathetick
I posted, admittedly in the wrong thread, about this same question.

From what I can tell, many SAY that cattman is better, and have zero hard data to back up that claim.

I basically called Cattman out and said, 'uhh, why dont YOU do the comparison yourself?' - got nothing in response.

Everyone on here loves to ride Cattman's nuts, so you have to take that into account. That being said, I am sure Cattman's Y is of high quality. But to base your purchasing decision on a few heads saying 'oh my ws flex section went bad', is retarded. also, blindly subscribing to the theory of 'you get what you pay for' is totally antiquated and doesnt hold up 50% of the time anyway.

SHOW me EXACTLY why cattman's pipe is better. SHOW me EXACTLY why WSP's pipe is worse. Cant be done. and until someone can give a really solid answer as to why Catt's pipe is $150 more, i really see no reason to give him the benefit of the doubt over a very reputable company.

long story short - no one knows which is better.
Dear lord 1/2 mercy....

Subscribe to this thread, and give me a month, I'll show you what a warpspeed looks like after 2 years of use in a southern climate.

In the meantime, someone should take pics of their cattmans....

Who knows!! Maybe the Cattman D' Riders will increase or decrease... but I'm taking this warpspeed off of my car soon, so hopefully someone can help me out by getting pics of their used cattman.

(Shameless plug... I'm selling it for $70+ shipping when it comes off btw).

Last edited by aackshun; 08-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Dear lord 1/2 mercy.....

this disturbs me. do you mean to tell me that you think the phrase is 'lord half mercy'?!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM

this disturbs me. do you mean to tell me that you think the phrase is 'lord half mercy'?!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 PM

Ok i gotta toss my two cents in..I have had both Iv had a Cattman ypipe since 04..in that time iv ran ss autochrome headers and y and a warpspeed y..in a 5th gen and in the past few weeks have had Cattman and Warpspeed Ys on my 4th gen..the cattman hands down will last the longest the warpspeed iv had since 07 and it was only on my 5th gen for a short time it has some small rust spots nothing bad..cattman has 0 rust and has seen 3 times the road time..as for sound I think the warpspeed is louder kinda higher tone then the cattman..as for hp I cant tell a diff..the welds on the flanges seem much more robotic on the cattman compaired to the warpspeed...I will say that iv never read or heard some one say a bad thing about Brians (Cattman) stuff plus he is fun to Bs with on the phone..Long story short take a vote Cattman will win every time..
Old 08-13-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Definitely go with Cattman.

I used to have a Warpspeed and my flex section collapsed as well.

my cattman ypipe's flex section failed on me too..
Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 PM

Wee-woo, wee-wooo, wee-wooo, oh noes it's teh gramm4r p0lice!!!!!!

It's an old internet joke, but since you appear to not be "hip" with things...

"Lord have mercy"***

Better?

Also, does anyone have a used cattman Y they can take pictures of? I'd love to make this thread a nice fully detailed comparison thread...
Old 08-14-2010, 08:59 AM

$200 WS vs $350 Cattman is not a true comparison!

$250 WS vs $350 Cattman is a true comparison!

Reason:
Both are T-304 grade SS.
Also, both need to be similar versions, because both have gone through more than four versions.
Comes down that $100, will buy you..... a name that everyone on this forum thinks is god.
I am completely happy with my non SS WS Y.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:54 AM

There is a reason that people like Cattman...I have nothing bad to say about the Warpspeed other then stated above..Warpspeed does have very good CS the people are always very nice..

Last edited by cjlgarage; 08-14-2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 08-14-2010, 01:02 PM

Well so that we can all be informed, can anyone give specific comparisons? The Wizard said "I've compared them side by side. Cattman wins hands down for multiple reasons." Would you mind going into detail, b/c I am curious myself. I have a Warpspeed now, but I may change to Cattman (sometime down the road, not now), but I want to know just what exactly makes it better, not the typical "Brian Catts is better quality just b/c." I've bought things from him, so I know he is a good guy, and his products are top notch, but in the case of y-pipes for the Maxima, I want to know some exact differences in quality, performance, etc. Anyone plz chime in with some specific info, im def curious, but no one is really giving specific reasons why the Cattman y-pipe is better, which really isn't helpful when trying to make an informed decision.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:59 PM

SHIFT NISMO did you read what i typed above...when i get back to my MAX I will try and take side by side photos...of my cattman iv had since 04 and my warpspeed Iv had 3 years..Im not anyones sack rider so i have no favs..I callem how i see them..
Old 08-14-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by cjlgarage
SHIFT NISMO did you read what i typed above...when i get back to my MAX I will try and take side by side photos...of my cattman iv had since 04 and my warpspeed Iv had 3 years..Im not anyones sack rider so i have no favs..I callem how i see them..
Was it SS or non SS?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by cartman854
Was it SS or non SS?
..The warpspeed isnt stainless steel...I like the warpspeed ..I called them friday and said the flex section had rust on it..They said "send it in and we will fix it free"..so im gonna mail it to them and see what happens...

Last edited by cjlgarage; 08-15-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by cjlgarage
..The warpspeed isnt stainless steel...I like the warpspeed ..I called them friday and said the flex section had rust on it..They said "send it in and we will fix it free"..so im gonna mail it to them and see what happens...
that's pretty sweet, let us know how it goes
Old 08-21-2010, 11:33 PM

i live in new york, and i know that id rather just buy the warpspeed because it seems that both have their differences, but are similar in performance. Also, the rust doesnt come for a while I guesssssss.

warpspeed ftw?
Old 08-25-2011, 04:11 PM

I just bought a 2000 Maxima GXE (first car) and other an CAI my first mod is going to be the Y-Pipe ( seems like most bang for buck). I need to know how and why the Cattman is $100 differnece on virtually the same item?

Help a Kid OUT!!

Quick Reply: Cattman vs Warpspeed Y-Pipe