4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Does my car sound normal? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 PM

Does my car sound normal? (video)

I made a post in another thread indicating that I didn't feel like replacing my wheel bearings, and the response has got me thinking about it.

Fortunately I happen to have taken this video a month or two ago. If you skip a minute or three in you can hear more of what I think is bearing noise. (btw: I took the video by jamming my phone in between the passenger seat and headrest. It's a good place to hold a camera if it doesn't cover the mic)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rwz-G23Dvs
I made that big 'cause I usually put too much text in my posts and nobody can find useful information.

At speeds above 30mph that background moaning is the dominant sound in the cabin. It's been there since I bought the car ~6-7k miles ago; I assumed it was more or less normal, and the Maxima was just a loud car. The sound hasn't gotten any worse over those miles. It's louder on some days than on others.

So is this sound a sign of impending failure or just a tired bearing that can keep going, if not entirely happily? Any input would be appreciated.

EDIT: Dammit, you can't hear anything in that video, and the sound is not synchronized with the video at all. Well, hopefully someone can get something from it. I'll see if I can't re-upload it with better quality.

Last edited by j-dawg; 08-03-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:16 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Does the 'moaning' sound gradually increase in volume and frequency as the vehicle speeds up? Once you get to a speed where you can hear it loud, put the car in neutral and coast for a bit (safety warning: Do this in an area with little/no traffic). Does the noise immediately go away? Does it gradually go away? Can you isolate the noise front/rear, left/right? Get a friend to drive while you ride in the backseat. Does the origin of the noise sound closer/louder? Hopefully, it's a rear wheel bearing. A little pricey, but very easy/quick to replace.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 PM

i didnt hear any problems just wait it out and see if it gets worse if not then ur good to go.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM

I have the same problem and I've checked for wheel bearings failure and they are good so could this noise be coming from a axle cause everytime I get a oil change the noise goes away for awhile and then come back and some day I don't hear it and some day it's louder
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 AM

can you tell if the sound is coming from the front or rear more, that could help you locate the issue.. if it was me i would go ahead and replace the entire rear hubs if its coming from the rear.. shouldnt be too bad i had to replace both rear hubs on my last car and it immediately fixed the sound
Old 08-04-2010, 07:59 AM

nelledge: The sound increases in volume, and to a lesser extent in pitch. It is definitely something in the running gear and not the engine or transmission; it happens clutch in or clutch out and if I shut the engine off while rolling, and it doesn't change with gear selection. It comes in and goes out in a pretty much linear fashion; the faster I go, the louder it gets.

Its volume also oscillates, leading me to believe there may be multiple instances of the problem resonating with each other. This might also explain why I have a hard time pinpointing it for direction. As I recall, it is decreased when I turn right, so it may be (at least in part) the front right bearing. I will check again when I drive home. I also noticed, upon installing some sound deadening on the doors, that the car's road noise seems to have shifted rearward, so perhaps at least one rear is to blame.

beatdown97: You replaced the hubs, too? Or just the bearings? I am hoping not to have to replace the hubs...

najee1062: I changed the oil several thousand miles ago and the sound did not go away, though I wasn't looking for it. How does engine oil affect axles? Is it shared with the trans? I'm not really familiar with the Maxima's lubrication system, so yeah. Will probably change it some time in the next month. I'll look for that, thanks.

TravisCadello: lol that's pretty much what I've been doing. I've figured it's not a big deal since it isn't getting worse, but I want to be sure. Also, it would be nice if the car were quieter.

Anyone: About how many dollars/how much time would it take to replace the front or rear bearings? I haven't got a press, but I'd be willing to take everything apart up to that point. Also, how much for bearings, and where? AutoZone has got Timkens, I believe, as has Rock Auto.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:15 AM

try to take some turns (left and right) and see if the sound increases. that would be most likely indicate a bad bearing. try wiggling your wheel (raise the car, of course) at 12 and 6 o'clock and 9 and 3 o'clock. see if you get any play.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM

rear wheel bearings (some say you can just get the bearings, some say you have to get the whole hub). You're looking at $130 each from daveb. Dealer was the only place i found the bearings with hubs. Couldn't find bearings itself.

With the front, its a little more tedious. You need to take off the axle nut, pull the hub off, take off the two bolts for the strut, take off the tie rod, and separate it from the ball joint. When i took these things off, i ruined the rubber seal that goes on the ball joint and the outer tie rod. It didn't bother me as i was replacing them anways. But you might have a hard time getting those items out without damaging the rubber seals. You need to separate the hub from the knuckle, and take the knuckle off. Not as fun, but cheaper (around $55 with the seal).

In order to diagnose further, does the sound grow when you bend left or right on the highway? Jack up your car and see if you can shake the wheel in the 3 and 9 position and 6-12, a bad wheel bearing will have play (movement) when you shake it. If you only have play in 6-12 position but not 3-9, you might have a bad ball joint
Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

The last time I had a bad wheel bearing it was in the rear. It took some time to isolate the noise, but it was from the rear. Tried to diagnose it the lazy way by lifting the wheel off the ground, spinning it, and feeling for a dead spot. Nothing. Also, no lateral movement in the wheel at any position. So, I removed the wheel, pulled the bearing/hub and then 'felt' it as I turned the bearing by hand. The bearing had a little dead spot in the same place on each rotation. Just a small amount of friction causing all that noise. I purchased a bearing assembly from Nissan, slapped it in, and took it for a ride. No more 'groaning' at speed. I now enjoy the sole sound of engine revolutions. Ahhh, life is good.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 PM

Hmm...I'll lift the car when I get back, but I'm running out of town for a few days. Until then, enjoy my latest video hit - I hope to be as popular as one of those serial Youtube celebrities someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfhW5Nk-BKw

I learned - the hard way - that my phone's mics are covered up by the seat and headrest, so the sound is hella muffled. But around 1.00 you can really hear what I'm talking about. Also when I take the offramp at the end.

Thanks for the input so far, guys - I really appreciate it. I have no idea what I'm talking about here, so it's good to have experience on my side.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
SLOW

everything I've read in this thread indicates wheel bearing to me. I've replaced them in 4th gens before and have a bad one in my non-daily driver right now, and the behavior is as you describe.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 PM

did you just get new tires? i have a friend who purchased a set of tires that made a lot of noise on the highway. i wish i remembered what kind they were.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
nelledge: The sound increases in volume, and to a lesser extent in pitch. It is definitely something in the running gear and not the engine or transmission; it happens clutch in or clutch out and if I shut the engine off while rolling, and it doesn't change with gear selection. It comes in and goes out in a pretty much linear fashion; the faster I go, the louder it gets.

Its volume also oscillates, leading me to believe there may be multiple instances of the problem resonating with each other. This might also explain why I have a hard time pinpointing it for direction. As I recall, it is decreased when I turn right, so it may be (at least in part) the front right bearing. I will check again when I drive home. I also noticed, upon installing some sound deadening on the doors, that the car's road noise seems to have shifted rearward, so perhaps at least one rear is to blame.

beatdown97: You replaced the hubs, too? Or just the bearings? I am hoping not to have to replace the hubs...

najee1062: I changed the oil several thousand miles ago and the sound did not go away, though I wasn't looking for it. How does engine oil affect axles? Is it shared with the trans? I'm not really familiar with the Maxima's lubrication system, so yeah. Will probably change it some time in the next month. I'll look for that, thanks.

TravisCadello: lol that's pretty much what I've been doing. I've figured it's not a big deal since it isn't getting worse, but I want to be sure. Also, it would be nice if the car were quieter.

Anyone: About how many dollars/how much time would it take to replace the front or rear bearings? I haven't got a press, but I'd be willing to take everything apart up to that point. Also, how much for bearings, and where? AutoZone has got Timkens, I believe, as has Rock Auto.
What I meant was every time I go for an oil change I go to Jiffy Lube and they not only do the oil but top off and grease chassis. Question is there any gear oil leakage or maybe by you having a 5 spd you don't. Have you look into carriage bearings? That is what I'm looking towards in my situation. cause it when I get oil changes and they top off and grease are they topping of a leak somewhere i'm not aware of.