4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Water leak in trunk... Pls help...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 02:14 PM

Water leak in trunk... Pls help...

My pops 97 Maxima Se has water coming into the trunk has anyone experienced this before with there's I'm figuring its the weatherstrip.. Anyone have any other ideas? Thx
Old 12-14-2001, 04:05 PM

Fixing a trunk leak

Originally posted by fdxsiboy
My pops 97 Maxima Se has water coming into the trunk has anyone experienced this before with there's I'm figuring its the weatherstrip.. Anyone have any other ideas? Thx
Yes, I had this problem, too. Here's what to do:

1) Inspect the top side of the trunk gasket (part that seals against the inside of the trunk-lid surface) to make sure it is not torn anywhere. If it is, you may be able to mend it using clear silicone. (Allow to dry with the trunk open, so the gasket doesn't get "sealed" to the trunklid by the silicone).

2) If the trunk gasket is torn too badly, replacement may be your only option - check a junkyard for this.

3) If the trunk gasket appears to be in good condition, carefully remove it from it's mounting surface, peeling it off around the opening. Note the correct orientation of the gasket to the flange at this time.

4) Now, use a clean shop towel and some glass cleaner to wipe down (clean) the metal mounting flange that the trunk gasket was sitting on. Allow to dry thoroughly.

5) Then, use a clean cloth to clean the inside rubber mounting groove on the inside of the trunk gasket.

6) Once both the trunk flange and the trunk gasket mounting groove are clean & dry, hold the gasket up to the flange and get a rough idea of the correct orientation of the gasket to the flange.

7) Now, lay the trunk gasket upside-down (groove facing up) on a clean, flat surface & using a tube of clear silicone adhesive with a standard cone-tip cap applicator, lay a bead of silicone all the way around the trunk gasket inside at the bottom (trough) of the groove, the whole way around the gasket. (The bead should be about as thick as a #2 pencil)

8) Then, carefully reposition the trunk gasket on the mounting flange, being careful it is in it's original orientation, & being careful not to get the silicone on anything inside the trunk. (If you have a helper for this part, that's best). Starting with the upper, forward corners of the gasket, push it firmly back into place on the flange. Work your way around until the entire gasket is firmly seated on the flange. Wipe away any excess silicone (there shouldn't be any if you used the prescribed amount).

Silicone is an excellent sealant and should resolve any leaking problems in your trunk. It will take 24 hours to completely cure, but you can use the trunk as normal following this procedure while the silicone is drying.

-K-
Old 12-14-2001, 08:07 PM

Thx alot for the detailed instructions I'll give it a shot.. Thx again..
Old 12-14-2001, 08:56 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by fdxsiboy
Thx alot for the detailed instructions I'll give it a shot.. Thx again..
have the car even been in a accident? the back part? if yes...check all the seams and around tailight.

this is if the weather stripping is ok.
Old 12-14-2001, 09:10 PM

No the car has never been hit I checked it up and down.. Everything is original... Its strange though..

Originally posted by DanNY

have the car even been in a accident? the back part? if yes...check all the seams and around tailight.

this is if the weather stripping is ok.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:09 PM

I noticed that you mentioned that it was SE. The SE has a spoiler. Sometimes the plastic stud that they put into the holes in the trunk lid to hold the snap portion of the spoiler wears out and leaves a gap between the spoiler and the trunk lid.

Mine doesn't leak, but pretty often, I need to press down on one side of the spoiler to snap it back down. I don't know if it's a factory defect or if someone just tried to steal my spoiler before, but that's one thing you can check out.

-V
Old 12-15-2001, 09:01 PM
Ramius83

My Max did it when I first bought it. I checked everything in the rear end and couldn't find it. But the last thing I checked, of course, was the weather stripping. It was loose on the passenger's side. So to fix it, I cleaned the area where the weather stripping was loose and applied clear acrylic caulk. Then just pushed the weather stipping on it and it sealed. No more problems now.

Old 12-15-2001, 09:03 PM

Duct tape...

... naj, it can't true if it leaks. Need to start at the hinges.
Old 12-15-2001, 10:48 PM

Thx for all of the input... I will ck everything mentioned above and see what happens...