4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

TPS question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 PM

TPS question

Recently my tps was acting up and it turns out that it was the wiring. previous owner for some reason has extended/changed one of the wires going to the tps connector. The part where the wire was extended was not soldiered so i did that today and the car was much better for a while then started to act up again... i later noticed that the wire wasnt sitting in the connector properly does any one know how to properly remove the wire from the connector and place it back in for a better connection?

picture below

http://yfrog.com/6limg0839qj
Old 08-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Whatchyou say?

Is that the end lead? If so, what I would do is cut the side of it off, set the wire in place (w/ connector) and then glue (or epoxy) it back to 'normal'. Most connectors like that are molded. Some on the other hand have small metal inserts that the wire goes into, gets crimped and then the wire is slid in place and locked in. The metal connectors have small locking tabs on them in most cases. A good push from an awle or punch might push the connector out, but .... a lot of times it will not. Worth a try I guess. Like I said ... I'd just slice the side, make a 'new' connector and glue it.

Other option would be to find another connector (with wires in place) and just splice it in further up the line. Either way would work ok.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Is that the end lead? If so, what I would do is cut the side of it off, set the wire in place (w/ connector) and then glue (or epoxy) it back to 'normal'. Most connectors like that are molded. Some on the other hand have small metal inserts that the wire goes into, gets crimped and then the wire is slid in place and locked in. The metal connectors have small locking tabs on them in most cases. A good push from an awle or punch might push the connector out, but .... a lot of times it will not. Worth a try I guess. Like I said ... I'd just slice the side, make a 'new' connector and glue it.

Other option would be to find another connector (with wires in place) and just splice it in further up the line. Either way would work ok.
okay thanks i'll try that.. do u know where i can get it new? ive looked all over i could only find the actual tps and not the harness
Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM

go to your local salvage yard and cut one off. easiest and cheapest way as long as you have a salvage yard with a max that is close enough to your area
Old 08-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Swazey
go to your local salvage yard and cut one off. easiest and cheapest way as long as you have a salvage yard with a max that is close enough to your area
Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

went to crazy rays and got the cable off of a 98max... connector was different but still fit my 99 perfectly ... spliced, heat shrunk, and wrapped the wires with electrical tape, and car runs MUCH better than before check engine light turned off as soon as we were done. thanks for the suggestions and inputs
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by carcrazyM01
went to crazy rays and got the cable off of a 98max... connector was different but still fit my 99 perfectly ... spliced, heat shrunk, and wrapped the wires with electrical tape, and car runs MUCH better than before check engine light turned off as soon as we were done. thanks for the suggestions and inputs

Glad to hear that worked out for you and saved yourself some money. Another win for the org..