4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do I replace rear passenger door?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM

How do I replace rear passenger door?

I cant find any info on how to do this. My car has a little crumple zone on the rear passenger door that extends into the fender. I know if I take it to a shop, theyre gonna want to just replace the door. I can get a cheap door at a local junk yard, but I dont know how to remove it. Has anyone done this? I see its only a few bolts and a wire, but will there be any alignment issues or anythng else I should know? Any info is much appreciated....
Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Kevlo for President

Nope its pretty much a direct replacement, you will have to remove the panel of course to get to the wireing harness but that is like 5 extra min of work. Just have a friend or two hold the door in place while you align the bolt holes.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Should be very easy. I did it on my friends Infiniti G20t a few months back. I didn't take off his door panel, I was able to unplug the harness by pulling out the rubber insulation where the plug was.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
Nope its pretty much a direct replacement, you will have to remove the panel of course to get to the wireing harness but that is like 5 extra min of work. Just have a friend or two hold the door in place while you align the bolt holes.

Originally Posted by Mistertones
Should be very easy. I did it on my friends Infiniti G20t a few months back. I didn't take off his door panel, I was able to unplug the harness by pulling out the rubber insulation where the plug was.

Oh ok, cool, looks like im going to be doing this. Thanks
Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM

Just did this job today actually lol.

But basically there are 12mm bolts that hold the door on. (4 of them I belive)

And also there is one 10mm that hold the piece that extends the door out in the middle that needs to be undone.

Have a friend (or a milk crate) hold up the end of the door while you undo the bolts. Once all of them are completely off, the door will be free. Then you get a flathead screwdriver and take out the grommet that connects the wrapped wires into the door. Once that comes out, pull the wrapped wires from the frame and out comes the infamous Nissan electrical connector. Just press down on the necessary end of the connector and remove it.

Then repeat with the door on (it's rather tough to hold the door this time because of there being complete weight on the free end.)

Then attempt to line up the bolts and get them on, then tighten them. Before putting in the middle piece re-attach the grommet into the designated hole you took it out of until it pops back in. Then re-attach the metal piece, and boom you're done.

Oh and a heads up, the easiest way to hold on to the door and to transport it is to open the window first

Hope that helps-Spence'
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Spence
Just did this job today actually lol.

But basically there are 12mm bolts that hold the door on. (4 of them I belive)

And also there is one 10mm that hold the piece that extends the door out in the middle that needs to be undone.

Have a friend (or a milk crate) hold up the end of the door while you undo the bolts. Once all of them are completely off, the door will be free. Then you get a flathead screwdriver and take out the grommet that connects the wrapped wires into the door. Once that comes out, pull the wrapped wires from the frame and out comes the infamous Nissan electrical connector. Just press down on the necessary end of the connector and remove it.

Then repeat with the door on (it's rather tough to hold the door this time because of there being complete weight on the free end.)

Then attempt to line up the bolts and get them on, then tighten them. Before putting in the middle piece re-attach the grommet into the designated hole you took it out of until it pops back in. Then re-attach the metal piece, and boom you're done.

Oh and a heads up, the easiest way to hold on to the door and to transport it is to open the window first

Hope that helps-Spence'

lol thats awesome info. Thanks....
Old 08-18-2010, 11:29 PM

Just wondering... why are you giving to shop to install if you can take it off all in once peice yourself?

About alignment issues, I bought a door off ebay once and it looked fine but the shop complained so much about alignment issues... Maybe my car was wacked form the accident.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM

door replacement is pretty simply, it takes 2 people and about 40 min. first unplug the wireharness from the rest of the car, its in the pillar. then have a friend hold the dor steady whily u unbolt it i believe its 12mm nuts. then do in reverse for putting the new door on, as far as aligning eye it up and first, then u can measure it up off the other side if u want it perfect
Old 08-19-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
Just wondering... why are you giving to shop to install if you can take it off all in once peice yourself?

About alignment issues, I bought a door off ebay once and it looked fine but the shop complained so much about alignment issues... Maybe my car was wacked form the accident.
Actually, im gonna have the shop just fix the fender part. Im gonna replace the door myself, just wanted some info on the complexity of it....
Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by musictech55
door replacement is pretty simply, it takes 2 people and about 40 min. first unplug the wireharness from the rest of the car, its in the pillar. then have a friend hold the dor steady whily u unbolt it i believe its 12mm nuts. then do in reverse for putting the new door on, as far as aligning eye it up and first, then u can measure it up off the other side if u want it perfect
thanks, ill update this thread once its done...
Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 PM

no prob hope it goes well, i just changed my front passenger door inbetween these posts ( it didnt take the whole time inbetween), lemme know if you have questions
Old 08-21-2010, 02:24 AM

If there's some fender damage try taking off your wheel and banging it out with a hammer. (if you can access it) It's worth a try, and if you don't succeed then the shop can always fix it. Chances are you're not going to make it any worse if your denting out the opposite way that the dent is in.