4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

quick question about audi style led strips

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 PM

quick question about audi style led strips

I just got my led strips off ebay. i want to put them below the headlights and set them up so they come on with the park lights. does anyone know the color of the park light wire and where it's at? also the led strip has one clear wire and another clear wire with a red stripe on it. anyone have an idea which one is for ground? thanks.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 PM

what would be great is a write up for this. i've been wanting to do this but have no clue how or where to start. im fairly wiring inept but good at following directions! haha if you figure it out you should def do a lil right up with some pics if you have the time or even feel like it. i would be very grateful. good luck with the project!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:25 PM
Got Retrofit?

Just tap into the corner light harness. Use a test light to figure out which wire is positive.

On the LED strips, positive is probably the clear wire with the red stripe, ground is clear.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:31 AM

Use a wiretap to make the connections (use the ones for 22-18 awg)

And use plenty of electrical tape around the connection to seal it up.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM

so now i got my other set of leds to put under the dash. where do i connect those wires to??? i'll try n post pics of the leds.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Use the wires for the parking lamps in the steering column.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:02 PM

well the good news is i figured it out and got one led strip on and working. the bad news is i cut the other strip too short and ruined it. is there a way to put it bad together and make it work or am i screwed? now i have one strip on the car and it'll look retarded like that.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

Take some pictures of the cut strip.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:46 PM

this is the led strip i put on

Last edited by ivorton23; 08-19-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM

this is the strip that i ruined. i was trying to cut to the length of the headlight.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by ivorton23
so now i got my other set of leds to put under the dash. where do i connect those wires to??? i'll try n post pics of the leds.
I wrapped the ends of the wires around the cig. lighter plug. Worked fine for me.

BTW, the strip looks good, but I think you should change the amber corners to white. It would look better.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:43 AM

this is the strip that i ruined. i was trying to cut to the length of the headlight.
I think it would be next to impossible to repair that. The flexible circuit board does not lend itself well to soldering.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:19 AM

not bad doesnt look bad at all
Old 08-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I wrapped the ends of the wires around the cig. lighter plug. Worked fine for me.

BTW, the strip looks good, but I think you should change the amber corners to white. It would look better.

how do i get the cigarette lighter out? or can i tap a park light wire inside the car? where is that at and what color is it?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Got Retrofit?

how do i get the cigarette lighter out?
It's extremely easy, you can pop it out with a small screwdriver. Once you pop it out, you'll see that it unplugs. Going into the harness there are 2 wires, one that's black and one thats black and has either a red or orange tracer. Follow the wires to where they plug and you'll figure out which plugs are positive or negative. Then wrap the wire around the plug, and plug it back into the harness. Turn your key to the ON position and see if they turn on.

That's what I did and I haven't had any problems.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:00 PM

this is the led strip i put on
I've seen these set ups around in person and me personally I don't like it to well for the 4th headlight housing being place on the outside. I know some love the Audi LED running lights and as I do but this is a cheap way for that look. No offense to you guy it's your car and if you like it that's all that counts.

Love the interior lights and the color is great... specially if you're using them while driving. Love it.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:08 PM

looks about like mine (interior). Good Job!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

Well I finally got it! i just connected the wires to my taillight fuse and got ground from under the dash and shes working great. i'll take some pics. my next project will be the gauge cluster!!

@najee1062 i know its the cheap way but its what i can afford at the moment...know what i'm saying??!!....i think it looks great anyway. it'll have to do until u give me money the do it the expensive way(haha jus kiddin)...or until i get a raise at my job.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:32 PM

Well I finally got it! i just connected the wires to my taillight fuse and got ground from under the dash and shes working great. i'll take some pics. my next project will be the gauge cluster!!

@najee1062 i know its the cheap way but its what i can afford at the moment...know what i'm saying??!!....i think it looks great anyway. it'll have to do until u give me money the do it the expensive way(haha jus kiddin)...or until i get a raise at my job.
I feel your pain... I'm in the same sinking boat LOL. I am researching some alternatives with that set up and trying to find the cheapest way possible but integrated it within the all in one housing. I've seen one other set up like that and I believe it will cost just as much but only for those who have to all in one housing. Also I will be doing custom LED Tails. But again I hope I didn't offend.... I had been considering that set up also at one time....
Old 08-20-2010, 05:22 PM

yeah i wanted to do led tails to but i dont know if i can do it with 96 taillights. i'm thinking about converting to 97 trunk and getting those skyline style led tails. i just love those ones. right now i need to replace my entire exhaust system cuz its all rusted out. i took it to have my new fireball muffler welded on but couldn't cuz its to rotted to be welded on to. so i gotta come with at least 500 bucks to replace that!!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:42 PM

so this is the finished product. looks much better and brighter in person. next is the gauges!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:45 PM

yeah i wanted to do led tails to but i dont know if i can do it with 96 taillights. i'm thinking about converting to 97 trunk and getting those skyline style led tails. i just love those ones. right now i need to replace my entire exhaust system cuz its all rusted out. i took it to have my new fireball muffler welded on but couldn't cuz its to rotted to be welded on to. so i gotta come with at least 500 bucks to replace that!!!!
converting to 97 truck and get some clear you can do custom LED tails if you have the time... but I love those skyline LED's too. Just to many others have them. I trying to do something different.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM

so this is the finished product. looks much better and brighter in person. next is the gauges!
Love it nice job!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:27 PM

thanks...i ordered another led strip to put on the right headlight..should get it by middle of the week.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:34 PM

I hope they are more reliable then the Audi ones. I've seen so many newer Audis with one LED strip turned on and the other off and it's pretty weird for such a "reliable car" for those to be faulty.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Atimaxx
I hope they are more reliable then the Audi ones. I've seen so many newer Audis with one LED strip turned on and the other off and it's pretty weird for such a "reliable car" for those to be faulty.
Right... my neighbor has an audi suv and a few of his LED's are blown out. They told him they would have to install the whole light housing and he would have to order due to a back log or orders and his been waiting 3 months now. They are sooner or later going have them recalled

Nice look on them though but they have to get those glitches out....
Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 PM

God I love blue interior lights...
Old 08-22-2010, 02:03 PM

word...cant wait to make my gauges blue...that'll be swweeetttt!!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:35 PM

so here's the finished result..what yall think?
Old 08-28-2010, 10:18 PM

Looks good.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello~I already using the LED under the dash.
I connected the wire with the dome light connection.
It working so good.
If you want to see it, just let me know. I'll upload the pictures.

Last edited by KAZEN Inc.; 12-18-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:51 PM

i really like the strips and the orange you have going on, ive always loved that look!!

i really do hate that people hook these up as intended for running lights like the audi but then keep them on with their headlights. it looks funky and bad to me. not trying to bash on you i just see it all the time on hondas and what not. its not that hard to hook up a switch to control when the lights come on or off.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM

got cheese? lol
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM

The lights look good. If you could some how block the light from reflecting back in to the headlight, that might make it look even better in my opinion.
Also liking the under-dash lights. Mine are set up so that when I open the doors, they would come on and shine bright white. More of a function then form thing for me.
You might want to consider another LED that just shines down on the dash. I have a LED mounted behind my review mirror that just shines VERY FAINTLY down on the dash and illuminates it. Similar to a Mercedes Benz or the New 2010 Maxima "Mood Lights" but the same or dimmer.

While we're on the subject of LED lights and led strips, I was wondering where would be a good position to place turn signal LEDs on the side. Sorry if I'm thread jacking.

Here is my position: Our cars can signal well front and back, but when people are on our sides, they have no way to tell we are signaling to go into their lane. So, I was considering adding LED strips on the side of the car somewhere so I could get that type of functionality. I've considered a lot of ideas, but I'm still kinda "ehh" on where I should place them and not mess up the overall design of the car. I also want them in a place that would not fall off easily, nor do I want them in a place that impedes safety.
I've considered:
- On my mirrors (Like some Ford cars) but that blocks some of my rear views.
- Around the outside of the mirror shell (Like some Audis) but this design is too exposed.
- On the triangular mirror mount, (next to the window there is a thin and small triangular area) but this limits the amount of "signal area" that the light has and is some what exposed
- On my mud flaps, but that is just too low to be effective, and very exposed
- Inside the car, however I don't want to compromise the beauty of the interior with a random light.

Last edited by Akiyukio; 08-31-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: forgot a few words
Old 09-01-2010, 07:21 AM

Those LEDs are cheap and burn out quickly. I hope yours last though.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Akiyukio
The lights look good. If you could some how block the light from reflecting back in to the headlight, that might make it look even better in my opinion.
Also liking the under-dash lights. Mine are set up so that when I open the doors, they would come on and shine bright white. More of a function then form thing for me.
You might want to consider another LED that just shines down on the dash. I have a LED mounted behind my review mirror that just shines VERY FAINTLY down on the dash and illuminates it. Similar to a Mercedes Benz or the New 2010 Maxima "Mood Lights" but the same or dimmer.

While we're on the subject of LED lights and led strips, I was wondering where would be a good position to place turn signal LEDs on the side. Sorry if I'm thread jacking.

Here is my position: Our cars can signal well front and back, but when people are on our sides, they have no way to tell we are signaling to go into their lane. So, I was considering adding LED strips on the side of the car somewhere so I could get that type of functionality. I've considered a lot of ideas, but I'm still kinda "ehh" on where I should place them and not mess up the overall design of the car. I also want them in a place that would not fall off easily, nor do I want them in a place that impedes safety.
I've considered:
- On my mirrors (Like some Ford cars) but that blocks some of my rear views.
- Around the outside of the mirror shell (Like some Audis) but this design is too exposed.
- On the triangular mirror mount, (next to the window there is a thin and small triangular area) but this limits the amount of "signal area" that the light has and is some what exposed
- On my mud flaps, but that is just too low to be effective, and very exposed
- Inside the car, however I don't want to compromise the beauty of the interior with a random light.
What wire(s) did you tap into to have your interior LEDs come with when the door is open?
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by queenambeach
What wire(s) did you tap into to have your interior LEDs come with when the door is open?
just tap into the door switch wires i think its the red with a white stripe iirc. its a neg trigger.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM

@ queenambeach....yeah i hope it lasts long too. im the only person in this town that has leds like these. everyone looks at them when i have them on at night. i especially love the ones under the dash....i have to extra led strips lying around. am trying to figure where to put them...any suggestions??

@akiyukio...why not just get those m3-style led side mirrors....that would solve that issue.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM

@ queenambeach....yeah i hope it lasts long too. im the only person in this town that has leds like these. everyone looks at them when i have them on at night. i especially love the ones under the dash....i have to extra led strips lying around. am trying to figure where to put them...any suggestions??

@akiyukio...why not just get those m3-style led side mirrors....that would solve that issue.
Do you have your LEDs inside or outside the headlights? I have some inside my I30 headlights, but I use a different kind. The ones like your I had over my license plates in the back and they blow out after like 2 days. Installed some others in my Maxima headlights and they blew out after like 45 minutes...

Quick Reply: quick question about audi style led strips