4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

recap of my lower radiator support R&R

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 01:40 PM

recap of my lower radiator support R&R

To all of those who have replaced a lower radiator support, you have my respect. It wasn't overly complicated, just extremely tedious. Being **** about things, I searched and read every post with regards to the process, and thanks to all who have supplied pictures with write-ups. I won't duplicate those efforts, but I will add some tips that might help the next guy.

1) Be religious about keeping track of the fasteners. I used like a dozen bags, labeled with where the various nuts, bolts and various plastic fasteners went. I also removed the inner fender liners, just so I didn't have to work around them. As someone mentioned, I also removed the radiator as it facilitates getting at a few of the spot welds. And after 12 years, I figured I would replace the hoses and thermostat as long as I had the radiator out.

2) I used ramps to get the car up to a more comfortable working height.

3) Buy a spot weld cutter, it was worth it's weight in gold. Also, when you buy it, get a spare pack of cutters, you will use them, really.

4) Don't start cutting the spot welds until you have the new part. This way you can see which are welds hold the support in place versus welds that hold the support together.

5) Weld, weld, weld. Don''t try to get by with the various bolts that hold components to the support. I used the spot weld cutter to cut plugs out so they could plug weld.

6) The thin metal that sits to the right and left of the a/c condenser/radiator, I might suggest drilling and using sheet metal screws to secure only those areas. Why, the welder had a hard time with those areas as the metal is so thin it was burning through. Again, there is really no structural function, but mainly (I'm guessing) to funnel air to the radiator area, so sheet metal screws would be better than welding.

7) Did I mention, do your homework. Read the posts of those that have completed this process, their insight will be invaluable.

Lastly a plug. I bought all my parts through orderinfinitiparts.com as I have a I30T. These guys, specifically Brad, were super. They have the best prices for Infiniti branded parts, although many of the parts cross directly to the Nissan numbers. Anyhow, though an error on my part, Brad FedEx'ed overnight the right part, AT HIS EXPENSE.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Lastly, for those that have done the r&r, what is you method of rustproofing the new support, if anything. I am seriously considering using low expansion foam and just fill the channel. Any thoughts or has anyone done this?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:27 PM

I am not sure what you'll come up with as far as rust-proofing, but didn't one of the write ups mention rustoleum?

I am not sure, but perhaps Wurth maybe a decent choice. Just throwing it out there. It's not an area that gets sunlight so...

The link is below as the Hyperlinking is not working for me..

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...ercoating.html

Last edited by atriuum; 09-03-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I've done about 6 of these. Can't say I've rust-proofed any of them, meh should last as long as my Max considering I'm at 338k lol
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Too bad you're not in NY, as I have to do this before this winter...
Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by atriuum
Too bad you're not in NY, as I have to do this before this winter...
How much money do you have? I can talk to my body man and see if he can put it in for you for a reasonable price...which means he will put it in but will not paint over the front half of your car.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:38 PM

I have a million dollars.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:38 AM

i just replaced that mount this week. huge job, wish i knew about the spot welds before i started lol. as far as rustproofing i would say drench it in fluid film, i seems to work its way into every nook and cranny.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42 AM

anyone try powder coating it?

i was think of powder-coating and/or filling w/expanding foam