4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

please help 98 maxima wont start with ignition just backfires" but pop start

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:29 PM

please help 98 maxima wont start with ignition just backfires" but pop start

i have a 98 maxima se 5 speed i just put a motor in it from junk yard w 90k on it.if i try to start it back fires through the intake and wont start.if i roll it down my drive way and pop clutch it starts up and runs and drives like a new car.only code present is maf but thats prob from backfiring.it has new ngk plugs 6 new injectors,new fuel pump,new fuel filter and a tank of new 93 fuel.we have been trying to get this car to start with the key for a week burned out 1 battery and two starters in the prosess.if anyone can help id appreciate it.we are out of money and out of a car please help.

Last edited by 00maxima-se617; 09-08-2010 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...eak-start.html

Just click on the pic to watch the video of my car having trouble starting. It didnt pop/backfire in this video but thats what it used to do. Sounds like a ground issue IMO
Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

You're telling me this car is backfiring THROUGH THE INTAKE because of a poorly grounded car? As in he needs to clean his grounds, to fix his problem??! Did I get that right? As in poor grounding is causing detonation that travels through the throttle body, air filter box, and out the front of the car?! I must be misreading this post completely, so I apologize in advance.

He just replaced his engine, and you think of all the things that could have been put back azz backwards, it was his grounds that are the issue. Dude, that's fascinating.

Last edited by atriuum; 09-08-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 PM

honestly i think u are right.backfire is just pre detonation from unburnt fuel from trying to start.i am going to buy a ground and try it car runs to dam good for it to be anything major and no check engine light after a 2 hr pushstart ride today.also i had a few fuses pop possibly due to the bad ground.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by atriuum
You're telling me this car is backfiring THROUGH THE INTAKE because of a poorly grounded car? As in he needs to clean his grounds, to fix his problem??! Did I get that right? As in poor grounding is causing detonation that travels through the throttle body, air filter box, and out the front of the car?! I must be misreading this post completely, so I apologize in advance.

He just replaced his engine, and you think of all the things that could have been put back azz backwards, it was his grounds that are the issue. Dude, that's fascinating.
Yessir. Loose, dirty, or completely disconnected ground(s) is what I think may be his problem. His described problem sounds just like what I had. I dont even think my FPR was bad and I think my problem was that one ground all along.

Just like him, I dropped a different VQ30DE in my 97 and I missed one ground which caused issues. He might've also forgotten to plug one in.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Yessir. Loose, dirty, or completely disconnected ground(s) is what I think may be his problem. His described problem sounds just like what I had. I dont even think my FPR was bad and I think my problem was that one ground all along.

Just like him, I dropped a different VQ30DE in my 97 and I missed one ground which caused issues. He might've also forgotten to plug one in.

I agree, sounds like it to me. That starter pulls a LOTTA amps and if you have (a) poor ground(s) it can burn out the starter for sure, cause fuses to pop (but this can also help tell you which ground it may be in some cases), and cause the starter to not get 'enough' current to opperate propperly (thus buring it out) and not turning the flywheel fast enough. The injectors fire in pulse mode during start up so this dumps raw fuel into the clynders and yes, it comes back into the intake when the valves open and can detonate. I was working on a Grand Prix one time (plastic UIM FTL!!!!) and had the UIM split right in half, shot across the shop and left a gaping hole to stare into. One of the coolest things I think I've ever seen honestly.

Stuff happens I guess is the point here. lol
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM

If the mating surfaces between the Engine and Trans are not clean, they will also cause grounding issues which in turn will not let your engine start.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by boneebone
If the mating surfaces between the Engine and Trans are not clean, they will also cause grounding issues which in turn will not let your engine start.

Can cause - the engine / trnasaxle is not a primary source for a ground, however oddly enough, this can occur - you are correct.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05 PM

thanks.i just added a ground car started right up good looks man.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 AM

haha you got owned!
Old 09-10-2010, 08:46 AM

OP prolly jus explained it incorrectly.

Originally Posted by boneebone
tHis is a common problem whenever separating the engine from tranny. If the mating surfaces arent perfectly clean, YOU WILL HAVE GROUNDING ISSUES.

Do a SEARCH. Its proven fact

Originally Posted by 00maxima-se617
thanks.i just added a ground car started right up good looks man.
NIce man. The rememdy is to add a ground from tranny housing to neg battery lead.

I was havin similar issues. Added the ground and viola no more starting issues. WXM, Trini, Slow yota will all say the same thing.

Interestingly, I tried moving the ground from tranny to the chassis and the problem came back. As soon as i put the ground back to the battery i got clean starts.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM

I've read two long posts recently, where grounds are the first thing mentioned, but didn't solve the problem. Although checking and cleaning them is a simple a cheap solution, and by way of elimination perhaps they should be first because of that, often these "grounds" suspicions are blown out of proportion, and the problem is somewhere else entirely.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...h-started.html

Originally Posted by Br0nz
haha you got owned!
I get "owned" quite bit around here. And I suppose I was being a bit of a ****. If grounding solved his problem then great.