4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whine coming through the speakers.. when the car is off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:55 PM

Whine coming through the speakers.. when the car is off?

Solution: Well... The Pioneer F-Series has whats known as eFuses inside of it, in this case particularly for the pre-outs. At some point in time my positive pre out prong touched a ground, and well.. They Blew. So to solve my issue... which was literally enough to give me a pounding ****ing head ache everyday was solved with 6 inchs of wire soldered to one of the RCA's and a suitable ground..

So, for the past few days ive been trying many many many diffrent things to attempt to remedy my whine...

Heres my setup..

All Stock Bose Speakers, F700BT Headunit, Audiopipe 3003 Linedriver, 12" Type R, and Cadence TXA-750D Amp.

So heres the rundown.. Ive tried regrounding, Unplugging multiple things and trying to isolate the problem.

Ive ruled out the Sub and Amp - this was as easy as removing the fuse..

Im currently in the process of redoing my Wiring harness.. Which.. looks a little like this.

Think thats a mess? if you saw wiring harness 1.0 you'd cry.

3.0 will be much better.. as soon as i finish with it later tonight..

Back to the subject at hand.. Whenever my splitter is connected i get a whine.. even with the engine off, and whenever the engine is on.. i get mad jdm turbo soundz yo!

I know the splitter is not at fault as i have tried another of the same splitter and get the same results..

Now when i use the low level outputs from the Headunit. the sound is ridiculosly quiet.. which is why i bought the splitter in the first place.. 4V preouts =]

So, not the splitter not the amp or sub... Headunit or wiring i guess?

any suggestions?

Last edited by FallenOne; 09-29-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:28 PM
ef9

Ground loop isolator for your amplifiers.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:23 PM

but the issue is, over the course of 2 years i never once had this issue.. and now? it comes out of nowhere?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What is being driven by that line driver? I have NEVER heard a line driver that didn't increase noise in the system. I would remove the line driver regardless of the use. You can get a cleaner sound by using better quality equipment. (just a general point, not directed at your equipment)

You are just running the Cadence amp for the woofer, right? If so try removing the line driver to see if that works. Also try unplugging the rca's from the amp to see if they're backfeeding...try first at the amp and then after the line driver. (if you still have it hooked up) This isn't hard to diagnose, you just have to eliminate things in order.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
What is being driven by that line driver? I have NEVER heard a line driver that didn't increase noise in the system. I would remove the line driver regardless of the use. You can get a cleaner sound by using better quality equipment. (just a general point, not directed at your equipment)

You are just running the Cadence amp for the woofer, right? If so try removing the line driver to see if that works. Also try unplugging the rca's from the amp to see if they're backfeeding...try first at the amp and then after the line driver. (if you still have it hooked up) This isn't hard to diagnose, you just have to eliminate things in order.
I thought i stated clearly the steps that have been taken but i guess i was mistaken.

I so far have disconnected the Amp Entirely RCA's Power Ect..

Disconnected the Line Driver and the hissing disappears.. but the sound quality and volume is AWFUL with my 2V pre outs from my F700BT.

But! I have tested 2 of the same line drivers and I know that at least one of them is good, and they both cause the same issue.

The line Driver actually signifigantly increases the volume and quality. Swear.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:34 PM

So are you running the amplified nissan harness? (the one with the rca's) I have bose and an aftermarket deck but I'm just using a regular nissan harness so it's essentially high level signal into the bose amps. Very few radios have enough rca voltage to make the bose system sound ok. Pioneer actually has very good rca output level and it's a pretty clean signal too. Your problem is that the bose amps get a high level signal from the oem headunit. I'm assuming you're using the line driver to boost the rca output from the pioneer F700BT into an rca harness. If so that is your problem. Either use the speaker wire output from the deck into the non-amplified nissan harness or otherwise if you insist on boosting the signal you need one of these: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM

So are you running the amplified nissan harness? (the one with the rca's) I have bose and an aftermarket deck but I'm just using a regular nissan harness so it's essentially high level signal into the bose amps. Very few radios have enough rca voltage to make the bose system sound ok. Pioneer actually has very good rca output level and it's a pretty clean signal too. Your problem is that the bose amps get a high level signal from the oem headunit. I'm assuming you're using the line driver to boost the rca output from the pioneer F700BT into an rca harness. If so that is your problem. Either use the speaker wire output from the deck into the non-amplified nissan harness or otherwise if you insist on boosting the signal you need one of these: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Eh, i like my way better.. worked great for 2 years. Now its messing up. I just want it fixed.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by FallenOne
Eh, i like my way better.. worked great for 2 years. Now its messing up. I just want it fixed.
For free too, apparently.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 PM

For free too, apparently.
I fix everything for free. Im broke Damnit!
Old 09-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Sounds like we have three things in common now.

1. I fix everything for free too
2. I'm ALSO broke
3. We live in Illinois
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 AM

HAHA...me too.

Well I guess next time when you start a thread asking for suggestions/help you need to include that you don't want to spend any money to fix the problem...that way we can reserve our suggestions to duct tape, super glue, swearing, and windex.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:33 PM

HAHA...me too.

Well I guess next time when you start a thread asking for suggestions/help you need to include that you don't want to spend any money to fix the problem...that way we can reserve our suggestions to duct tape, super glue, swearing, and windex.
Haha, This thread has become Win.

Yes, i wish to fix it cheap or free.. Im wondering now if it could be my Alt? But the whining even when the Engine is off makes me think not so much.. I think i might disconnect the battery entirely and try to run the Indash straight off battery and see if anything changes.. Im praying its either my Battery or Alt that is screwed.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Sounds like we have three things in common now.

1. I fix everything for free too
2. I'm ALSO broke
3. We live in Illinois
Oh but wait, theres more!

1995 Maxima GXE-5 Dark Blue Pearl, 03 SE TE RIMs, I30 leather w/rear headrests, KYB GR2 on Progress springs, Progress RSB, ES Poly in front end suspension,WarpSpeed YPipe, Pioneer InDash Navi, Kzoosho LED tails and FX35 HID retrofit

Buy this.

Its Win.

20$ Win.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOPIPE-MULTI-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Old 09-13-2010, 10:49 PM

Oh but wait, theres more!

1995 Maxima GXE-5 Dark Blue Pearl, 03 SE TE RIMs, I30 leather w/rear headrests, KYB GR2 on Progress springs, Progress RSB, ES Poly in front end suspension,WarpSpeed YPipe, Pioneer InDash Navi, Kzoosho LED tails and FX35 HID retrofit

Buy this.

Its Win.

20$ Win.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOPIPE-MULTI-...d=p3286.c0.m14
Wait are you saying we also have the same mods in common?

No idea what that is but I have an Infinity Reference amp wider than my woofer box, would that count?

Last edited by ColombianMax; 09-13-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM

HAHA...me too.

I'm super tempted of making this my sig but I cant but its so funny lol
Old 09-14-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I'm super tempted of making this my sig but I cant but its so funny lol
You're welcome.

BTW, I have about 15 ft of audiopipe 1/0 gauge power wire that's been in my closet for the past 7 yrs...not sure why. I also have a 3 foot piece of phoenix gold 1/0 wire. Guess which one weighs more? Audiopipe=fail
Old 09-14-2010, 09:42 PM

You're welcome.

BTW, I have about 15 ft of audiopipe 1/0 gauge power wire that's been in my closet for the past 7 yrs...not sure why. I also have a 3 foot piece of phoenix gold 1/0 wire. Guess which one weighs more? Audiopipe=fail
... im not going to touch this.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:33 PM

I still have this problem.. i browsed through the FSM recently and saw that a bad condensor Relay can cause this!? Idfk. Anyone else?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM

I still have this problem.. i browsed through the FSM recently and saw that a bad condensor Relay can cause this!? Idfk. Anyone else?
I thought you isolated the problem to your line driver?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM

I thought you isolated the problem to your line driver?
nope. its either the head unit or the ground has noise or the battery has noise.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM

Where do you have the head unit grounded? Batteries don't make noise, they damp the ac oscillations from the alternator. Poor/dirty/loose power and ground cables at the battery and ground points can cause ground loop noise. Also, are all the speakers whining?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 PM

Where do you have the head unit grounded? Batteries don't make noise, they damp the ac oscillations from the alternator. Poor/dirty/loose power and ground cables at the battery and ground points can cause ground loop noise. Also, are all the speakers whining?
All of the speakers are whining yes, and it gets MAJORLY worse with the AC on. Both my battery terminal connectors have cracked from over use so i know they both need replaced, but im sure thats not the problem. I did put an old bose HU in and the whining was gone.... Im fearing its the Indash and to be honest... i dont have the funds to get it fixed. if anything im going to have to fix it myself... is there any way to test to see what went wrong with the unit i wonder?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM

All of the speakers are whining yes, and it gets MAJORLY worse with the AC on. Both my battery terminal connectors have cracked from over use so i know they both need replaced, but im sure thats not the problem. I did put an old bose HU in and the whining was gone.... Im fearing its the Indash and to be honest... i dont have the funds to get it fixed. if anything im going to have to fix it myself... is there any way to test to see what went wrong with the unit i wonder?
Where did you ground the head unit? Did you run a new ground or use the one in the nissan harness?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:25 PM

Where did you ground the head unit? Did you run a new ground or use the one in the nissan harness?
Nissan Harness has an "Amp Ground" the ground used by the stock system is through the Chassis. I tried with both, and than some.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Im thinking its electrical noise from bad grounds. Try to reground or clean ground points. Noise is a result of different signals on one line. In this case it has to be on a common line for the system since the whine is in all the speakers.

Check all the wires behind the radio for any splices or cuts. HOw are u powering the Navi? U got some cross-mixing signals somewhere.

The easiest to do is try cleaning gorunds. That dont work, start wire hunting
Old 09-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Im thinking its electrical noise from bad grounds. Try to reground or clean ground points. Noise is a result of different signals on one line. In this case it has to be on a common line for the system since the whine is in all the speakers.

Check all the wires behind the radio for any splices or cuts. HOw are u powering the Navi? U got some cross-mixing signals somewhere.

The easiest to do is try cleaning gorunds. That dont work, start wire hunting
Nope, been there fixed those. Just redid all the grounds in the engine bay.. AGAIN. no luck. Ive redone the wiring harness to and from the radio a few times. no luck.

I know what i need to try now.... i think im going to just run new wires and run the indash straight off the batter.. and if its bad... well.. viola.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:47 PM

You said the noise stops when you remove the line driver and just use the outputs from the deck...but that the sound quality is less, right?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM

SOLVED!
Old 09-30-2010, 04:07 PM

SOLVED!
What did you do?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:29 PM

What did you do?
read first post.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:52 PM

read first post.
Wow, that's news to me. I have installed idk, maybe 200 F series DD's and never heard about anything called e-fuses. Is this some sort of fusible link that breaks a connection in the rca to save the head unit?

Cool that you figured it out!
Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Wow, that's news to me. I have installed idk, maybe 200 F series DD's and never heard about anything called e-fuses. Is this some sort of fusible link that breaks a connection in the rca to save the head unit?

Cool that you figured it out!
Yeah, they look very similar to a resistor but they are an orange color, and from my understanding they can be replaced, but im not terribly worried about it.