4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possible bad knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 PM

Possible bad knock sensor?

I have a 99 max. That had all the symptoms of a faulty knock sensor, but b4 I came to this conclusion, I installed a new battery, starter, and fuel filter. The car wud still b weak at loe rpms n also shut off on me randomly while driving. Tn the car did it again as I was headin home coming off of the highway n this time the car wont start at all. I hear my starter click, but nothing cranks. Just stays off. Can my bad knock sensor b the solution or do u guys possibly believe I have more than just a bad knock sensor? I scanned the ecu n only had 2 codes but I cant remember wat they were at tbe time but it didnt have ne thing to do with a knock sensor.it wud usually start right back up after shutting off. This has never happened before. Ne help wud b greatly appreciated. Ty.

Last edited by yoshiyosh; 09-12-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by yoshiyosh
I have a 99 max. That had all the symptoms of a faulty knock sensor, but b4 I came to this conclusion, I installed a new battery, starter, and fuel filter. The car wud still b weak at loe rpms n also shut off on me randomly while driving. Tn the car did it again as I was headin home coming off of the highway n this time the car wont start at all. I hear my starter click, but nothing cranks. Just stays off. Can my bad knock sensor b the solution or do u guys possibly believe I have more than just a bad knock sensor? I scanned the ecu n only had 2 codes but I cant remember wat they were at tbe time but it didnt have ne thing to do with a knock sensor.it wud usually start right back up after shutting off. This has never happened before. Ne help wud b greatly appreciated. Ty.
Definitely not a knock sensor to rule out this cause. The knock sensor will NOT cause your car to stall. You definitely have more issues and need to get those codes and list it for us to help you out.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:39 AM

Alright... Ill get those as soon as I can. In the meantime... Ne idea wat it cud b? Before while the car stayed at idle, it wud feel like the car is running out of fuel, I wud just turn the ac on n itll go bak to a normal idle. Last few nts not even the ac wud keep it running n now its finally dead. Ne 1 with a possible educated guess?

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Definitely not a knock sensor to rule out this cause. The knock sensor will NOT cause your car to stall. You definitely have more issues and need to get those codes and list it for us to help you out.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM

i did some more research, it seems as if my engine has seized... i dont have my car with me bc its stranded n i dont have a way of getting to it just yet, but it sounds like this may be my problem, i wont know for sure until i go look at it later today... but lets just say it is seized, i read that u can manually check this... i read a few articles but i dont know where this "bolt" is located that im supposed to try rotating to see if it turns or not?? ne1 with a picture , id appreciate it alot.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:57 PM

Starter.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM

I don't mean to dog on you, but from what i can tell of your experience level, you might want to take it to a shop.

Things to check, AND I DONT MEAN BLINDLY REPLACE.
You can Google for testing directions.
Test your battery voltage with everything shut off, then try to jump start. If it starts, then test your running voltage, should be ~14V. If it has 12V off, and charges at 14V, but needs a jump to start, it could be a bad starter drawing to many amps.

alternator
battery
starter
fuel pressure
ECT
MAF
crank sensor
cam sensor X2

Anyone else?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 AM

yes, take it to a shop. your engine is not seized.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by cartman854
Starter.
This. Remount it.. if that doesn't work, get a new one.

Mine did exactly the same thing as OP, so I remounted the starter, and now it starts a little quicker than before :P