4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HIDExtra $60 Kids for 97 max

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 12:13 PM

HIDExtra $60 Kids for 97 max

I have read various forum posts and stickies but I got concerned when many talked about changing the headlamp housing or reflectors.

If I just buy their off the shelf 5000k kit for my max for $60, and slap it in.. is it usable as it ? Will there be tons of glare (for others or for me as driver )? I am not sure I'm up to some complicated surgery project to make them different.

appreciate the feedback.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:21 PM

stock housing= tons of glare for you and other drivers
to change to optimal output with minimal glare= search retrofitted projectors
Old 10-06-2010, 02:44 PM

so unless the retrofit is an easy job with minimal cost.. i guess i'm keeping my halogens..

Are there brighter halogens that folks recommend vs the standard slyvania autoparts ones ? I don't want it blue.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM

catch 22 bud go too bright and you get glare, no cheap and safe way. the housings were designed to work with a specific wattage they have glare on purpose based on that. its what lights up roads signs along the road as you drive. however...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 PM

there is a conversion to make the stock 9004 to 9007 bulbs... SEARCH. i dont know how to do it but have read threads about it.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 PM

I've used Sylvania XtraVision for a couple years, they're brighter than stock and only about $10 each - depends on what you need. I don't do a lot of 'country roads' so I don't need super long lights. NightHawks are supposed to be real good, but they're about $60 set (here in Canada). Watch here for more ideas. The 9007 conv is a lot of work for small rewards, I would say.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 PM

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this... but...

Stick some HID's in the 97+ housings, aim them way way down, maybe add some eyelids and the glare wont be that bad. Ive been driving like this for a month now and never been flashed by anyone.

But as others said, projectors would be the way togo. If I had the funds I would go for it. However, seeing as I dont, and my HID's light the road at least 100x better than halogens... Im keeping my lights setup as is.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Whatchyou say?

Originally Posted by 95Maxed

Stick some HID's in the 97+ housings, aim them way way down, maybe add some eyelids and the glare wont be that bad. Ive been driving like this for a month now and never been flashed by anyone.

But as others said, projectors would be the way togo. If I had the funds I would go for it. However, seeing as I dont, and my HID's light the road at least 100x better than halogens... Im keeping my lights setup as is.

Yea ... you are gonna get flamed for this! How can you possibly suggest to someone to use stock housings with an HID kit? I guess it can be done, but; it's gonna look like crap, output like crap, **** a lotta people off (when you blind them), increase your accident potential (cause you - and other drivers can't see), and in general - be a waste of both time and money.

Like the old saying goes "If you're not going to do it right, don't bother to do it at all". Save your money, buy some projectors (search - there are tonz of threads on here btw!) and retrofit them (or have someone do it for you). End rant ....

Old 10-08-2010, 08:42 PM

People say output is awful... my car and Chirsman's cars prove differently. Weve got ours aimed way down, he uses his bi-xenon brights to drive normally. Light the road just fine. There is some glare, but not near the amount everyone thinks it would have. Those civics you see on the road that blind you are the ones that people literally throw in HID's and dont adjust the headlights one bit.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:36 PM

Lazy and just looks tacky.

OP: retros can be home made for 250ish. But the increased visibility (for you AND other) is worth paying even more for. Grow a pair and take on one of the most valuable and rewarding mods you can do for your car.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by mightyMax95
Lazy and just looks tacky.

OP: retros can be home made for 250ish. But the increased visibility (for you AND other) is worth paying even more for. Grow a pair and take on one of the most valuable and rewarding mods you can do for your car.
Tacky.. yea... Thats why ive gotten so many compliments. I'm telling you, they do not fill the entire housing with that foggy light looking crap like they do on civics.

Believe it or not, it is possible to do it in stock housings and minimize glare.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:44 PM

Seen it. Not impressed.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Got Retrofit?

Read up in this thread, you'll find some useful info..

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...sing-hids.html
Old 10-08-2010, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fasteddie01
I've used Sylvania XtraVision for a couple years, they're brighter than stock and only about $10 each - depends on what you need. I don't do a lot of 'country roads' so I don't need super long lights. NightHawks are supposed to be real good, but they're about $60 set (here in Canada). Watch here for more ideas. The 9007 conv is a lot of work for small rewards, I would say.
+1 on the XtraVision bulbs. I had a high beam go out a couple of months ago and switched to these. I noticed that all of the old filaments were damaged, so I'm not sure these are that much better than any new bulb, but they definitely made a huge difference compared to the old ones. Light output is perfect. The cutoff is fairly sharp, and I really wouldn't want them any brighter. Couldn't be happier with a set of headlights. I beg to differ with those who say HID/projectors are better. I've driven cars with that setup (stock) and see no practical difference.

OP, you're right not to want to go to anything blue. Human eyes can see much better in the type of light produced by standard halogens than Silverstars or HIDs. I really wish Sylvania would stop advertising SS as producing more light than XV bulbs. They're actually worse all around.

I say put a fresh set of XVs in it and see if that's enough of an improvement for you. Otherwise, do as some have suggested and take on a retrofit.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by VQ30MPG

I really wish Sylvania would stop advertising SS as producing more light than XV bulbs. They're actually worse all around.

lumen output and visible lumen output are two different things! Thats how they get away with that.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Whatchyou say?

People say output is awful... my car and Chirsman's cars prove differently. Weve got ours aimed way down, he uses his bi-xenon brights to drive normally. Light the road just fine. There is some glare, but not near the amount everyone thinks it would have. Those civics you see on the road that blind you are the ones that people literally throw in HID's and dont adjust the headlights one bit.

You must want more attention so ....

Really? Bi-xenon huh ... in stock housings without projectors? WOW !!!!! That's the most retarded thing I've read all day! You can't have BI-Xenon without having projectors tard.

Look up the deffinition of Bi-xenon .... the only way to pass inspection and to have hi-beams is to have a bi-xenon or dual xenon set up. That's it. You have no brights if you don't use projectors. The projectors have a shade built into them with a solinoide to actuate it when the hi-beams are triggered. Get the facts right and stop arguing that the way you have done it is the right way to do it. Spend a little scratch and do it right or go sit in a corner and don't come out till you stop crying for attention.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:12 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by JtzMax
Really? Bi-xenon huh ... in stock housings without projectors? WOW !!!!! That's the most retarded thing I've read all day! You can't have BI-Xenon without having projectors tard.
Wanna bet I have bi-xenons? These vids were taken when I had stock '95-'96 housings. You can clearly hear the bulb shifting to switch to the high beams:

Glare was rediculous back then since we all know those housings are flutted.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

does anyone know the size of a 2002 i35 fog light bulb ???
Old 10-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by JtzMax
You must want more attention so ....

Look up the deffinition of Bi-xenon .... the only way to pass inspection and to have hi-beams is to have a bi-xenon or dual xenon set up. That's it. You have no brights if you don't use projectors. The projectors have a shade built into them with a solinoide to actuate it when the hi-beams are triggered. Get the facts right and stop arguing that the way you have done it is the right way to do it. Spend a little scratch and do it right or go sit in a corner and don't come out till you stop crying for attention.
Not crying for attention, just trying to prove a point. Fine with me if you dont think its possible. But... Correct me if I'm wrong... Did Chrisman not just post a video of BI-XENONS in STOCK HOUSINGS?

I also NEVER said it was the correct way to do it. Read my post again. Wait, let me quote it...

But as others said, projectors would be the way togo.
Im not saying, nor have I ever said that HID's in stock housings are better or more correct than projectors and I never will. I'm simply saying that if you do go that route, you can do certain things to minimize glare and keep light output good.