4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

greddy sp2 tooo quiet...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:47 PM

greddy sp2 tooo quiet...

Was going to get a full custom cat-back without res and magnaflow muffler. Found a really good deal on craigs for brand new Greddy sp2. Thought i would give it a try. Installed it today. The thing is soooo quiet. cant even hear it when idling. and when i first start driving cant hear it and then it gets louder after 5 minutes of driving it but not much. Cant even hear it in the car. Not my taste..

So was wonder how much louder will it get with a y-pipe and possibly a high flow cat? Dont really wanta delete the res cause it might get too loud. Just looking for some input. Did alot of searching these pass 2 weeks and puzzled that an aftermarket exhaust would really be this quiet. People say it is the quietest exhaust for the car but i didnt think it would be that quiet.

Still got a really good deal though
Old 10-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Got Retrofit?

Y-pipe and HFC is gonna make it louder and raspier. Not sure if you want to sound like a Honda, I know I don't.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Y-pipe and HFC is gonna make it louder and raspier. Not sure if you want to sound like a Honda, I know I don't.
def do not want rasp! I dont mind the louder part. But the rasp i can not stand. No bee's in the can for me. What about just delete the Res?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 AM

Don't delete the resonator.

Buy headers that have an equal length Y pipe, and also get a resonated test pipe.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:55 AM
ef9

If it's that quiet, I wouldn't be questioning it, I would be singing happy!

Performance and a quiet sound = godsend!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 AM

so i got a greddy sp2, test pipe, and equal length y. With this set up it's loud, however i don't find it annoying, or raspy.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:46 AM

ypipe + resonator + catback = sexitime for your ears

*edit after seeing OPs last post*

*IN FOR VID OF SOUND*
Old 10-22-2010, 05:13 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

To the OP, keep the SP2. Trust me when I say, you dont want a loud exhaust. Get the rest of the exhaust done and you will be happy with the way it sounds.

We have a local with shorty unequal-length headers and y-pipe, gutted stock cat, and greddy sp2. It sounds awsome. Louder than stock of course, but still quieter than other exhaust i've heard on maximas. Also, there is no rasp what so ever.

I've gotta make a clip of my car too. I have hotshot headers, gutted stock cat, cattman exhaust. There is no rasp and everyone compliments me on how it sounds. Its not loud and most people say it has a smooth "tuned" sound to it. Whatever that's supposed to mean.

I hate that everyone says a cat-less exhaust will sound raspy. That is not the case always. As long as a decent resonator and muffler is used, there will be no rasp.

And before anyone says anything about gutting my cat. The cops down here check under the cars with mirrors sometimes for cats when they pull us over. So its a cheap way of avoiding another $116 ticket. And I'm not wasting money on a high flow cat when we dont have emmissions testing down here.

Last edited by essential1; 10-22-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
I hate that everyone says a cat-less exhaust will sound raspy. That is not the case always. As long as a decent resonator and muffler is used, there will be no rasp.
/thread
Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM

I have a high-flow cat, SS custom exhaust with a Magnaflow straight-through muffler. I think it has a great sound, no "raspiness", and it really isn't that loud at all....
In fact, I'm planning on getting headers, an equal length y-pipe and an electric cutout right after the y-pipe. That should be just loud enough for my tastes.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:35 AM

So let me get this straight...OP installed SP2 as muffler only? Or did you install it as a cat-back ie pipes and all?

I ain't replacing my cat and Y-pipe, since we've got emissions testing in IL, but I do want a bit more noise. Not too much, just a bit. Can I just install an SP2 muffler and be done with it? Has anyone got a video of a setup like that? Or any other muffler-only replacement? All I want is factory sound but a bit louder. I hear the 5th-gen muffler is decent for that?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM

Hmmmmm...never really hrd of the Greddy being too quiet. I wd say, give it a wk or so. See if that makes a difference. If not then buy a cost effective muffler. Do some research on flowmaster and magnaflow. Them things can get loud.

I bought a straight thru muffler from EBAY no name brand for 20 bucks. Its been a yr and its stll sounding wicked.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:04 PM

you can run a straight pipe with that exhaust and it wont sound "raspy". IMO, GReddy design their exhaust so no matter how the rest of the exhaust is set up that when it comes out of the muffler part it eliminates the "raspy" sound. i'm only saying this through experience with GReddy exhausts...
Old 10-22-2010, 01:49 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
you can run a straight pipe with that exhaust and it wont sound "raspy". IMO, GReddy design their exhaust so no matter how the rest of the exhaust is set up that when it comes out of the muffler part it eliminates the "raspy" sound. i'm only saying this through experience with GReddy exhausts...
Originally Posted by essential1
As long as a decent resonator and muffler is used, there will be no rasp.
My point exactly...
Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by j-dawg
So let me get this straight...OP installed SP2 as muffler only? Or did you install it as a cat-back ie pipes and all?

I ain't replacing my cat and Y-pipe, since we've got emissions testing in IL, but I do want a bit more noise. Not too much, just a bit. Can I just install an SP2 muffler and be done with it? Has anyone got a video of a setup like that? Or any other muffler-only replacement? All I want is factory sound but a bit louder. I hear the 5th-gen muffler is decent for that?
I installed the full catback. Im not sure if the muffler will bolt up to the stock piping the bends might be alittle different. Alot of people have been putting 5th gen mufflers on. I found an exhaust clip last week of just a new 5th gen muffler on youtube.

Originally Posted by cashoit
Hmmmmm...never really hrd of the Greddy being too quiet. I wd say, give it a wk or so. See if that makes a difference. If not then buy a cost effective muffler. Do some research on flowmaster and magnaflow. Them things can get loud.

I bought a straight thru muffler from EBAY no name brand for 20 bucks. Its been a yr and its stll sounding wicked.
i know i was puzzled. But ya i was going to give it alittle of time. If still not loud enough slap on the y-pipe

Originally Posted by ef9
If it's that quiet, I wouldn't be questioning it, I would be singing happy!

Performance and a quiet sound = godsend!
Im too use to everything loud from my bike to cars. I never had a quiet car. my benz is even louder.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM

also a greddy sp1/2 will be extremely quiet with a stock y and cat.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:03 AM

if you just get a aftermarket ypipe it will make a difference, and you don't need to delete the res because it would make your car sound like a honda
Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM

I HAVE SP2 AND ITS LOUD AND MEAN
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 AM

sp2 is designed to be quiet in the cabin. stand behind the car and have someone rev the engine so you can see how it sounds from behind.

ive had my sp2 for 6 years and love it. it was quieter for a month or so till it all "broke-in" then sounded deeper and more tuned.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

anyone want a sp2? i want a cattman 3"..

Last edited by 99greddymax; 11-01-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Swazey
sp2 is designed to be quiet in the cabin. stand behind the car and have someone rev the engine so you can see how it sounds from behind.

ive had my sp2 for 6 years and love it. it was quieter for a month or so till it all "broke-in" then sounded deeper and more tuned.
I tried that already still quiet as hell. All my friends say it sounds close to stock lol. O well Y-pipe will fix that. But ya hasnt been a month yet. only a week for me. so we'll shall see.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM

bro.. i did a custom 2.5 with a cattman y-pipe and no resonator and it sounds perfect.. At WOT, it roars but never sounds like a honda...
Old 11-02-2010, 06:26 PM

I have the SP2 myself and love it's low key sound quality.

I bought a Warpspeed Y-pipe for it and after I installed it I hated the extra noise it produced, so I took it back off and said the heck with it.
I really enjoy the sound of the exhaust combined with the intake sound it really makes a great combination.
This exhaust has a great sound when you blip the throttle on a heel and toe downshift, very nice.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 PM

I first installed the Sp2 and it was a smooth deep tone. Only loud when you initially start the car. I added the stainless steel Y-pipe and it became a bit louder but it all depends on what else you've got going on under the hood. Sp2 on an otherwise completely stock vehicle will not have drastic differences, but it is the quietest performance muffler on the market, and I'm happy with it. no matter what its a huge improvement over stock.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM

apexi ws2 is nice too but i was contemplating on the sp2 or the ws2.. to me, i like the clean look and mirror finish of the two, i dont really like too big and round of a body.. I had a full blitz nur spec on my mr2 turbo and it was way too loud and way too big