4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

electrical disaster??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 08:20 PM

electrical disaster??

--so this happened the first time yesterday, i was sitting with my buddy in a parking lot playing my sound system just messin around, turned it up a little bit, so it hit pretty hard and click, nothing, everything just dead, no lights, no horn, nothing...a couple min later, lights on and starts right up...

--it did it again, so i said wth, i checked the battery cables, good. checked the main battery fuse, good....called it a night...didnt play the stereo anymore that night with the car not on.

--then again tonight it did again, car was not on...playing the stereo, turned itup....click...and nothing..but this time...it lasted like 5 min....opened the hood, and lights on lol..i have NO idea..

--and i think when i left the house just after it happened, the lights flickered, sound kinda stoped for a split second..but it didnt die...just kinda likea hickup lol?? everything good since..

--has this happened to anyone else before..is this my car saying your an idiot stop drawing my battery without me running?!? idk! help plz! TIA
Old 11-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Whatchyou say?

Add a cap (2 farad would be good) to the system. Should help your problem. Could also be a short in the batery too. How old is the batery, what all are you running on your 'system'?
Old 11-25-2010, 09:03 PM

im only running a single twelve powered by a 1000w amp....im gonna check the battery here soon, and redo the positive wire to the amp from the battery cuz i noticed it was fraying a little bit so it wasnt making the strongest connection...so maybe thatll help if all the connections are healthy...
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 PM

If your dealing with a true 1000w rmp amplifier you could definately be dealing with a fairly serious amount of current draw. This could definately expose weak points in the electrical system, although you've got some strange symptoms. I'd get any questionable connections cleaned up, replace any wires that are not in good shape and do the big 3 replacement. If your battery is old I'd simply replace it and I'd get your alternator checked as well. When your looking to draw alot more power off a stock electrical system it's best IMO to cover all your bases if you want the car to stay reliable. Maybe a good idea to check around to see if you've got much in the way of a voltage drop anywhere and I'd check your positive cables to ground with a meter just on the outside chance you've got a "hit and miss" short.

I'd personally skip the capacitor, if your wanting to do something that is useful add a 2nd battery, just make certain to do it right(proper ground, mounting, relay etc), I'd also suggest the 2nd battery be of the gel variety, but if you fab'd a good box I guess it wouldnt be a requirement. Just off the top of my head, the honda batteries are really small (like the one that fits a 2001 Honda CR-V) and maybe a slick way to tuck one away.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:26 AM

-clean up all connections
-get an Optima Yellowtop
-do the big 3
-get a HO alternator

Adding a second battery is going to put more strain on your charging system and if you use a conventional battery in the trunk, you risk having toxic fumes leaking into the cabin.

Is your Amp 1000w RMS or max?
Old 11-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by whlimi
-get an Optima Yellowtop
-do the big 3
-get a HO alternator

Adding a second battery is going to put more strain on your charging system and if you use a conventional battery in the trunk, you risk having toxic fumes leaking into the cabin.

Sounds like overkill. Standard battery and standard alternator should be plenty for a 1000 watt peek amp. If the battery is old, replace it as stated above may be a short in the battery. And yes check all grounds, possibly do big 3. Also make sure you check the ground on your amp, I had one come lose 6 years ago and it destroyed my alternator.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Check both positive and negative connections at battery make sure they are clean and tight. If that is OK then check the connections at the 120 or 140 Amp fusible link. For the most part only those items could cause both the headlights and horn circuits to go dead.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 PM

look

listen... number one ... go buy 0 guage power and ground wire for your amp.. second get an optima battery(yellow top)... make sure your grounding point is a clean surface with no paint or anything between the your ground and the body any youll be fine ..
Old 11-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by whlimi
-get an Optima Yellowtop
-do the big 3
-get a HO alternator

fail.... too mutch for just 1000 watts
Old 11-26-2010, 11:58 PM

haha thanks all, i went today and put on my hid fog lights so while i was in there i checked and re-did my positive connection from the battery to the amp, it was freyed and about 1/3rd there, so now i have all healthy connections and will be checking grounds soon. thanks! btw since i re-did the connection i havent had any problems thanks. ima search the big 3 but if someone wants to put them down on here i wouldnt mind haha thanks

tim
Old 11-27-2010, 12:39 AM

Glad to hear you found the issue. If you mess with things, usually check the wiring when something goes wrong.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Playing your system when your cars off? Seriously? Your battery is going to be absolute Toast soon.

Big 4, OEM Alternator (NOT REMAN ) Stop playing your **** with the car off!