4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 5spd bucking under load.. bring your reading glasses

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 06:12 AM

99 5spd bucking under load.. bring your reading glasses

first of, its a 99 5spd w/ approx 170k miles on it.

The issue started about 2 weeks ago with one incident and then nothing for a week where i drove back and forth to new hampshire and then happened again when i went back to new hampshire on thursday night.

If im in 4th or 5th gear in a low rpm range (1000-2000rpms) the car sometimes starts bucking (?) its kind of hard to explain. Its not the feeling like when your clutch is slipping and you get that horrible chatter. It feels more like a misfire, or like the engine is getting hung up for a split second. However, it's not in any particular pattern, it happens once in a second then 3 times in the next second then nothing etc..

The instant i put my foot on the clutch and shift into third or second (bring the rpms up) the problem instantly goes away but if i shift back into 4th then the problem comes right back. Typically once it happens one time during a drive it continues to happen.

It doesnt ever happen in first or second gear bit i believe it happened one time in third gear and every time its happened the car has been warmed up.

I also have a problem where the car will stall when coming to a stop when i keep my foot on the clutch, but even when it doesnt stall my rpms fall pretty low (300rpms) before coming back to idle (500-600 rpms), i figured this may be TPS or IACV but not sure if its related.

Also, my idle is really high when I start the car sometimes (1500 rpms) but usually falls back down to where it should be within 5 minutes of driving. And occasionally I can feel a misfire (rough idle) on start up but that goes away within a minute or two of driving.

I checked my codes last night when i got home and i had a 0509 and 0315 which are both o2 codes, could possibly be related, but those have been around since I bought the car.

As far as i know the coils have never been replaced.

I replaced the spark plugs about a month ago, I used ngks, I don’t remember which ones.

So, judging by the searching i did on here im thinking it could be.. ignition coils, TPS, IACV, fuel filter, fuel injectors, or could be an o2 sensor but before i go crazy trying to figure it out, i was hoping someone may be able to point me in a direction knowing all the symptoms im having.

Last edited by ThreePointO; 12-11-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Kevlo for President

First things I would do are free/cheap so do these first:

Clean BOTH crank sensors, one is on the tranny side, other is on the pulley side.
Clean the MAF (use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip or some CRC Maf Cleaner.

If neither of those work, move on to fuel filter. Although I doubt this is your problem, if it has not been replaced in the last 30-50k; then it should be.
Next up, are the COILS. Get some new ones/working used ones(although im usually weary of used coils because you have no idea how long they will last)
Old 12-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had the same problem before except it would buckle anytime the rpms were in the 1k-2k range as you mentioned and in any gear. I also had stalling issues exactly like yours. I cleaned out my MAF with some CRC MAF cleaner about a month ago which seemed to fix the problem but it just started back up earlier this week. Which makes me think my MAF is on it's last legs. Could be the fuel filter but I replaced mine about 15k miles ago. Check your coils too, their known to be bad on 99's.

Hope this helps you. Also, check this thread out, might help.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-dummies.html
Old 12-11-2010, 12:52 PM

I used ot have a chavy blazer which had a problem kind of like this. I bought a new one and it fixed it.. i jsut figured ide post this up here to see if anybody had suggestions before i starteded process of elimination.

ITs supposed to be pretty bad weather here tmrw but im gonna try and get under the hood and clean some stuff and check my tps
Old 12-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ThreePointO
I used ot have a chavy blazer which had a problem kind of like this. I bought a new one and it fixed it
Bought a new what? Blazer?

0509 means the left bank front O2 sensor voltage is too high. 0315 means the left bank rear O2 sensor voltage is too high. High voltage means the mixture is too rich. This could code could trip if excess hydrocarbons make it into the exhaust from a coil that was not firing reliably.

I would clean the MAF first. I don't know if I'd use a q-tip though. The CRC cleaner should be enough. Read the directions on the can. If that doesn't work, move all of the left bank coils to the right bank and vice-versa. Clear your codes and drive for a while. See if any codes come back.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
Bought a new what? Blazer?
bought a new maf for it...

i was planning on cleaning the maf and iacv, and check the tps today, guess ill add the coils to the list.. unfortunatly its pouring rain so i doubt ill have a chance to do it today.

also, i was able to get the problem to happen right before i got home from work ( about a 30 min drive) last night, 1000-1500 rpms in 5th gear, slight elevation after taking a right turn on my street. There was no 'jump' in rpms while it was jerking around and i just kept my foot steady on the gas and at about 1500 rpms it stoped bucking and i just continued in 5th gear back up to about 2000 rpms with no problem
Old 12-12-2010, 02:03 PM

Also, just on my way home from work my check engine light started flashing which means I got a pretty good misfire going. Haven't got to check the codes but ill put it up when I do.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:40 PM

once it misfires does it continue to do so? my 99 used to misfire after it warmed up or i beat on it, however it was sporadic sometimes if i just shut off and restarted the car it would go away. i did get a cel for the coil that was malfunctioning though and after i replaced with a used one off the forums i had no problems.

and 99 are known to have coil problems so definitely should be on top of your list.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM
SLOW

light gray text on a white background. can't even read it with my reading glasses lol
Old 12-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
light gray text on a white background. can't even read it with my reading glasses lol
the background is dark grey

Originally Posted by eFLO
once it misfires does it continue to do so? my 99 used to misfire after it warmed up or i beat on it, however it was sporadic sometimes if i just shut off and restarted the car it would go away. i did get a cel for the coil that was malfunctioning though and after i replaced with a used one off the forums i had no problems.

and 99 are known to have coil problems so definitely should be on top of your list.
well on the highway once the light tarted flashing it contiuned off and on for about 15 min and then stopped for about 10 min and then happened once more about 10 minutes after.

the coils are on the top of my list but i dont wanna buy new ones but i also dont want to buy ones off ebay which could jsut be out of another 99, trying o find someone on here who has them.

UPDATE: Just checked my codes, got 0201 and 0606.. both point me in the direction of ignition coils, thats prob the culprit of this mess.. weird thing is i was getting a left bank o2 code but the 0606 code is cyl 3 misfire which is right bank.. strange

Last edited by ThreePointO; 12-12-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Something similar happens to me too, at its the IACV i cleaned and it went away, then 6 months later came back.

For example, if im stoped and push the accelerator up to 2k rpm it wont stay
it will drop in a second and go back to idle. If im i 1st or 2nd the whole motor
will jerk if i dont give it gas, and its not misfire or anything, its the f**k IACV.

Atleast thats my case. Try cleaning it really well.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 PM
SLOW

the background is dark grey

well on the highway once the light tarted flashing it contiuned off and on for about 15 min and then stopped for about 10 min and then happened once more about 10 minutes after.

the coils are on the top of my list but i dont wanna buy new ones but i also dont want to buy ones off ebay which could jsut be out of another 99, trying o find someone on here who has them.

UPDATE: Just checked my codes, got 0201 and 0606.. both point me in the direction of ignition coils, thats prob the culprit of this mess.. weird thing is i was getting a left bank o2 code but the 0606 code is cyl 3 misfire which is right bank.. strange

yours may well be, mine is white (the default forum format is white background.)
Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMamba
Something similar happens to me too, at its the IACV i cleaned and it went away, then 6 months later came back.

For example, if im stoped and push the accelerator up to 2k rpm it wont stay
it will drop in a second and go back to idle. If im i 1st or 2nd the whole motor
will jerk if i dont give it gas, and its not misfire or anything, its the f**k IACV.

Atleast thats my case. Try cleaning it really well.
i ordered a set of coil packs last night ( figured my 99 w/ 170k should prob have them replaced ne way). i also got a fuel filter.

On friday im gonna replace the coil packs and put in the new fuel filter as well as clean the iacv and maf and check the tps.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Sounds like a coilpack is taking a dump. I have one going out, but its not throwing any code. When it starts bucking is it when you are a relatively low RPM and you try to give it gas? Mine does it when I am in 4th and try to go up a hill, but as soon as it downshifts its fine. Where did you order the coilpacks from?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 AM

yea thats exactly what happenening to me, in 4th @ low rpms ( obv u didnt read the novel i left lol). bought them off ebay for $150 (bought a set of 6), they have a 2 year no questions warranty which is longer i plan on having the car ne way.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:57 AM

aw no man. Do a SEARCH. Ebay coils can be a hit or miss deal.

Genuine Nissan parts FTW: http://www.courtesyparts.com/
Old 12-13-2010, 03:15 PM

As mentioned earlier, do the easy things first.

Clean the MAf and IAC.
Replace fuel filter.
Check for Vacuum leaks
Try running Seafoam through vacuum line and also in your gastank.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Definitely clean the IACV. Be sure to remove the little gold cap inside (it was packed full of carbon on the 4 cars I have done)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

if i take off the iacv do i need to replace the gasket or is it re-useable?
Old 12-15-2010, 05:40 PM

replaced coil packs this afternoon.. so far so good...
Old 12-17-2010, 12:40 AM
ef9

I have the exact same problem with the bucking. The only code I get is for the knock sensor.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:28 AM

weird thing is. i dont even get a KS code when i put 87 in my car.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
aw no man. Do a SEARCH. Ebay coils can be a hit or miss deal. .....

My ebay coils started misfiring within 20 miles. I baught a used set for $40 from another ORG member last April and they've worked fine.

if i take off the iacv do i need to replace the gasket or is it re-useable?
The IACV rubbery gasket is reusable.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:10 PM

idk.. so far so good on the ebay coils. all 6 were brand new hanshin ignition coils, all the guy sells are ignition coils and a few other things and had like 99.9% feedback.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm sure it isn't the root cause of your problem, but I just bought some battery cables and followed this installation guide. It does something, the car cranked and started way nicer. VQpower.com - News: ActiveTuning Custom Engine Grounding Kit
Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM

My 240 did the 'bucking' thing at lower rpm with rough idle, fine in higher rpm. Turns out it was the fuel pump.Obviously maxima may be different issue all together. How ever when it is "bucking" does it feel like its running out of fuel?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by shift_5
I'm sure it isn't the root cause of your problem, but I just bought some battery cables and followed this installation guide. It does something, the car cranked and started way nicer. VQpower.com - News: ActiveTuning Custom Engine Grounding Kit

we have .org members we can support for this:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...wer-price.html
Old 12-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Grounding DEFINITELY helps.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Br0nz
we have .org members we can support for this:

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...wer-price.html
There ya go. Do that, even if it doesn't fix your problem, it is worth it.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM

yea i prob will once i get some $ back in my pocket after the holidays
Old 12-25-2010, 06:40 PM
ef9

I finally changed my knock sensor and most of the bucking went away. I went home, reset the DTC and took it for a spin. No more bucking. No more DTC.