4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headers and Y pipe or just Y pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Headers and Y pipe or just Y pipe?

Hi guys,
I just bought a 97 Se slushbox. Looking to add a little power. Been searching the forums for awhile now, but can't find the answer I'm really looking for.

I know everyone does headers on these cars but does it really make any power difference?

I found a warpspeed Ypipe, how is the fitment on those? Do the o2 bungs need to be moved like the obx headers?
The plan for now is a Y pipe possibly headers, and a axle back then later down the road a b pipe. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row so it all bolts up as I do it.

So will a warpspeed Y pipe bolt to a factory b pipe and factory headers? Will I throw a cel or do I need to space out any o2 sensors?

I love the sound of the stillen axle back but they aren't made anymore, who still makes and axle back exhaust that sounds throaty and isn't very loud?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Gamble; 12-24-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:21 AM

Please re-edit your post to make it easier to read... use

the

enter

key

more effectively.

Y-pipes are fine as long as you want to get a nice bang for your buck and easy bolt up mod.

Warpspeed Y-Pipe fits fine, worked well for me, just make sure to get new OEM nissan gaskets.

No cel's will be given either.

Custom Maxima's catback has good reviews.

It seems as if you're modding on a budget and not that into performance, so the Y-pipe, and Custom Maxima catback seems logical from what I can barely gather from your post.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Got Retrofit?

People need to search..

Quick Reply: Headers aren't power gainers for us 4th gen guys, a y-pipe is though. Warpspeed has perfect fitment and there's no need to relocate the O2 bungs.

As far as axlebacks no one really makes anything for us. You might as well get a CM/eBay catback if you're on a budget but it's not gonna sound good paired with the Warpspeed y-pipe.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
People need to search..

Quick Reply: Headers aren't power gainers for us 4th gen guys, a y-pipe is though. Warpspeed has perfect fitment and there's no need to relocate the O2 bungs.

As far as axlebacks no one really makes anything for us. You might as well get a CM/eBay catback if you're on a budget but it's not gonna sound good paired with the Warpspeed y-pipe.
Is the custom maxima quiet? I have another car (dsm) and it's really loud, so I'm looking for something quiet and some sound when I get on it. Nothing crazy. If I can't figure something out I'll buy some piping and fab my own up for an axle back.

I'm just looking for a little more hp. Figure intake/exhaust/tune. However you guys tune these things.

Hmm I looked at the custom maxima exhaust and it looks like a quality piece but I'm not looking for a fart can. I want a small tip. Something like the stillen.

Last edited by Gamble; 12-24-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:13 PM

People need to search..

Quick Reply: Headers aren't power gainers for us 4th gen guys
The search is full of so much fail, I searched already and it's filled w/ so much crap and false opinions that I just decided to go ahead and answer.

As for the headers....

O'rly now? I would like some evidence to back that up.... I still <3 the Y-Pipe, but headers made a clear difference in my vehicle's every day performance. Same goes for those SSAUTOCHROME shorty headers, even those are better designed than the stock manifolds.

Originally Posted by Gamble
Is the custom maxima quiet? I have another car (dsm) and it's really loud, so I'm looking for something quiet and some sound when I get on it. Nothing crazy. If I can't figure something out I'll buy some piping and fab my own up for an axle back.

I'm just looking for a little more hp. Figure intake/exhaust/tune. However you guys tune these things.

Hmm I looked at the custom maxima exhaust and it looks like a quality piece but I'm not looking for a fart can. I want a small tip. Something like the stillen.
Define quiet? Just so we can get on the same page here, I suggest you remove your stock muffler (that's it!) before doing anything else, ride around like that for awhile and report back what you think.

Intakes are mainly for sound.... and what an awesome sound they give. You do gain a little power by adding an intake but nothing the but dyno is going to pick up.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-24-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun
Same goes for those SSAUTOCHROME shorty headers, even those are better designed than the stock manifolds.
Maybe, but not by much. This was always a huge debate and ssautochrome/stone mountain refused to do a header only dyno. However there header y pipe combo yeilded similiar numbers to what orger were getting with a stock header/after market y pipe setup.

MrEous did a dyno with them and this was his opinion....
http://forums.maxima.org/2950443-post107.html
Old 12-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Got Retrofit?

The CM catback alone isn't too loud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9r62XlaJg

Paired with a y-pipe it's going to get extremely loud and raspy. If you want more power > sound just keep the stock catback and throw on the y-pipe.

As for the headers....

O'rly now? I would like some evidence to back that up.... I still <3 the Y-Pipe, but headers made a clear difference in my vehicle's every day performance. Same goes for those SSAUTOCHROME shorty headers, even those are better designed than the stock manifolds.
I meant alone without a y-pipe lol The OP made it sound as if us 4th gen guys are just running around with headers only and no y-pipe. The 5.5/6th gen guys run those with catbacks usually. Leave the header argument outta here
Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Maybe, but not by much. This was always a huge debate and ssautochrome/stone mountain refused to do a header only dyno. However there header y pipe combo yeilded similiar numbers to what orger were getting with a stock header/after market y pipe setup.

Gotcha!! I'd still think that you'd get better throttle response, I'll need to conduct some field test, lol.

The CM catback alone isn't too loud:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj9r62XlaJg

Paired with a y-pipe it's going to get extremely loud and raspy. If you want more power > sound just keep the stock catback and throw on the y-pipe.

I meant alone without a y-pipe lol The OP made it sound as if us 4th gen guys are just running around with headers only and no y-pipe. The 5.5/6th gen guys run those with catbacks usually. Leave the header argument outta here
Can you show us a vid of the Y/Stock Cat/CM Catback? I can't find one, but I think that would be a mild deep grumble.

Lol, I see /header discussion.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7

This link is fail. 2whp gain, the common misconception with looking at dyno graphs is people tend to look at peak hp gain when it doesn't really mean much.
I'll take a smooth powerband with say 2-5hp any day over one that makes peak 10hp. Does that make sense?

Deff not looking for a raspy sound. Not loud I mean something with slight rumble and doesn't drone out when on the highway. 90% of my driving is on the highway so I don't need all the noise, mainly because I have an infant in the back seat a few times a week and she doesn't need to be bothered by it.
I searched youtube for a long time but there isn't much on there for maximas, maybe I'm just used to the dsm scene where you can find damn near anything you want easily.

What do headers and Y pipe sound like on a stock exhaust? Something like a apex ws2 would be perfect, but it's grossly overpriced. The $600+ for that I could use on the dsm so I can reach my 600hp goal. I don't have any goals for the maxima, just a fun reliable and quick daily.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:33 PM

I was running a Stillen y and oem catback and it isnt loud at all. Maybe the slightest exhaust note change but nothing drastic.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:38 PM
Boosted Panda

This link is fail. 2whp gain, the common misconception with looking at dyno graphs is people tend to look at peak hp gain when it doesn't really mean much.
I'll take a smooth powerband with say 2-5hp any day over one that makes peak 10hp. Does that make sense?

Deff not looking for a raspy sound. Not loud I mean something with slight rumble and doesn't drone out when on the highway. 90% of my driving is on the highway so I don't need all the noise, mainly because I have an infant in the back seat a few times a week and she doesn't need to be bothered by it.
I searched youtube for a long time but there isn't much on there for maximas, maybe I'm just used to the dsm scene where you can find damn near anything you want easily.

What do headers and Y pipe sound like on a stock exhaust? Something like a apex ws2 would be perfect, but it's grossly overpriced. The $600+ for that I could use on the dsm so I can reach my 600hp goal. I don't have any goals for the maxima, just a fun reliable and quick daily.
The dyno showed a gain throught the powerband, the 2-5hp was an estimation on what the shorty headers minus the y pipe. Not sure if your going to find many who are running aftermrket headers/ y pipes with the factory exhause since those doing the headers/ y pipe swaps usaully do an after market catback as well in order to free up the exhaust as much as possible.
Honestly if your not looking to gain any big numbers from the Max, why not just leave it as it is then? Especially since your looking for the quietest setup out there.
I agree 600+ may be a bit high, but the market for Maximas isnt as great as the DSM you refrenced so name brand parts will normally be higher for these vehicles since the demand isnt as great.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 12-24-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Got Retrofit?

Can you show us a vid of the Y/Stock Cat/CM Catback? I can't find one, but I think that would be a mild deep grumble.
I don't have one, I still have the stock y-pipe. I had a Warpspeed on my old 4th gen and I sold it with the car since I didn't feel like taking it off.

What do headers and Y pipe sound like on a stock exhaust?
I'm not looking for rasp either, that's why I've held off on getting a y-pipe until I get rid of my current fart can muffler. Are you manual or auto? Drone isn't too bad on the highway, only when going up some hills but the rest is pretty quiet. As you can tell it has a nice rumble though.

I have a clip on YouTube I believe with just my Warpspeed y-pipe and stock catback but it's a terrible vid. I believe the flex section was leaking and I also had a hole in the muffler. I've heard other 4th gens though with headers/y-pipe and a stock catback and it wasn't much louder than stock with a tiny bit more rasp. Some people even get the 5th gen mufflers which would be a good alternative to a fart can or the stock 4th gen muffler.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:23 AM

Quick Reply: Headers aren't power gainers for us 4th gen guys.
Wrong like always. People seem to forget that the collectors make a difference look at these 2 pics for instance.

Stock

Aftermarket

Aftermarket headers always yield more power because without them your y-pipe is basically receiving the same exhaust flow the stock y-pipe receives. All IMO of course since this argument continues on this forum for over 10 years.

Gamble if you got a good deal on the warpspeed just get that for now headers yield about 10 more hp and if your not looking for every ounce of hp out of this car, which I assume your not after meeting you, then your fine just with the y-pipe. And its a straight forward fitment.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:35 AM

Well I'm not looking for any mods anytime soon, maybe spring time, so I am just planning ahead.
If anyone has a sound clip of stock exhaust with y pipe and sound clip of stock exhaust with y pipe and headers that would be great.
I'm auto btw.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Wrong like always. People seem to forget that the collectors make a difference look at these 2 pics for instance.

Stock

Thats a 5th gen mani not 4th gen. The collectors are in the ypipe vs them being in the right after the manifold like in the 5th gen.................
Old 12-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Product_Of_Korea
Thats a 5th gen mani not 4th gen. The collectors are in the ypipe vs them being in the right after the manifold like in the 5th gen.................
Mon dieu.....

Sure that isn't the stock fed spec 4th gen collector, but they are just as godawful.

/header discussion please, we're getting off topic the OP is clearly not interested in doing headers.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 AM

Mon dieu.....

Sure that isn't the stock fed spec 4th gen collector, but they are just as godawful.

/header discussion please, we're getting off topic the OP is clearly not interested in doing headers.

I was just correcting a correction.

and really im not being that OT. The poster to those pics are clearly trying to point out the restriction of the "5th gen manifold" when clearly it is not. And a 4th gen mani isnt even the same design.

Like i said before im just correcting a correction...............
Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM

Hey bro I got shorty headers and y pipe and stock ex. Ill post a video in a lil bit. I'm auto 2 btw
Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 PM

^ In for vid
Old 01-01-2011, 09:56 PM

Old 01-01-2011, 09:57 PM

Are those CustomMaxima headers?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 PM

Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

Really I don't know what brand they are a picked them up locally for 40 bucks headers and y pipe. But I think they are cm.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:02 PM

GREAT SIDE BY SIDE PICS BRO! Ive been wondering for quite awhile now if the flanges of the oem/aftermarket headers/y were located the same way. Some people claimed they had to have the flanges turned to mate up.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM

And btw. I installed the y pipe to my stock headers and y pipe bolts right up no fittment issues at
Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Wanna sell the headers?
Old 01-01-2011, 10:10 PM

Na I like the power u can really fell the difference
Old 01-01-2011, 10:12 PM

With the y pipe is where you feel the difference. Headers practically do next to nothing for the 3.0 unless you're boosted; which is why I was asking if you wanted to sell em. Ill be boosted pretty soon

Last edited by VQ'rInWLA; 01-02-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 PM

headers and y pipe no muffler.

Sorry I was sea fomeing it. http://static.photobucket.com/player...2-03140631.mp4 ill post more video with the muffler in at bit
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 PM

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 AM

Wow sounds way different than I expected with the stock exhaust. Guess I'll keep the stock muffler and get a Y pipe. Thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 08:49 AM

That video was headers and y pipe no muffler remember that
Old 01-02-2011, 08:56 AM

For lolz....

This is what it sounds like w/ no catback on Long tube headers.

And I don't know who said you don't make gains N/A 3.0 w/ headers.... They are wrong.

Very wrong.

Even those short CM Headers are better than stock, dub maxi's pic CLEARLY shows the seperated runners which are MUCH better then the stock ones.

And since there is already a comparison of stock vs. CM Headers, here is a pic showing stock vs. OBX 3.5...

Last edited by aackshun; 01-02-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I would love to hear what a stock exhaust sounded like with just a modded y pipe...anyone have a clip?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 PM

+1 me too. Stock exhaust with Y pipe.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Well this video is shorty headers and y pipe stock cat back on a cold star not much difference in sound with stock cat back just more power. http://static.photobucket.com/player...1-02105457.mp4
Old 01-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Most of the sound comes from the intake not the ex. So if your running stock intake you can berly hear anything
Old 01-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by AcousticDude122
I would love to hear what a stock exhaust sounded like with just a modded y pipe...anyone have a clip?
+1 me too. Stock exhaust with Y pipe.
Originally Posted by dub maxi
Well this video is shorty headers and y pipe stock cat back on a cold star not much difference in sound with stock cat back just more power. http://static.photobucket.com/player...1-02105457.mp4
What he said, with a stock catback you will not hear a difference.

If you have an intake, the intake will be louder than your exhaust... Hell my intake is still louder than my catback.

The stock muffler does it's job very well, cancelling out sound via the double reverse flow system. if you lose the muffler or replace it you'll gain some volume there.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-02-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 PM

i have a 97 GLE with Y-Pipe and stock catback and it sounds good to me
Old 01-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jayson89NYC
i have a 97 GLE with Y-Pipe and stock catback and it sounds good to me
Got a sound clip?

Quick Reply: Headers and Y pipe or just Y pipe?