4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gambles progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 AM

This is a great thread.

It'll answer those "I just brought a 4th gen, what do I do now" questions that are sooo common in the noobie thread.

Only thing left are spark plugs, IACV/TB/EGR cleaning (unless you've already done it) and you've done most of the things I can think of!!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gamble
2000_maxima_king owned it before me. So if he has proof it was the seller before him then we shall go after him.
Also the car is leaking coolant and oil still. I changed the oil pressure switch and I hope to god it's not the upper oil pan gasket. I need to go to a car wash that sprays under the car and then I can find my leak.
at that mileage it might be the water pump that is leaking
Old 01-06-2011, 10:21 AM

2000_maxima_king owned it before me. So if he has proof it was the seller before him then we shall go after him.
Also the car is leaking coolant and oil still. I changed the oil pressure switch and I hope to god it's not the upper oil pan gasket. I need to go to a car wash that sprays under the car and then I can find my leak.
Yea bro but I never new that was the case if I did I would have told you I would never want to get into no legal trouble over some bs bro.

This is really pissing me off because I'm the last seller
Old 01-06-2011, 10:25 AM

I should have known he was a POS when he wrote a lower amount on the bill of sale saying that way I won't have to pay as much tax on the car since he's a dealer at the time I had just got out of a car crash and was low on cash so it sounded like he was being helpful
Old 01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

this thread sucks in the fact that this dealer was such a douchenozzle. i hope for the sake of yall that yall can get this dealer put out of business. sorry to the OP for the coolant and oil leak. i hope for your case its a simple fix for both of them.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
I should have known he was a POS when he wrote a lower amount on the bill of sale saying that way I won't have to pay as much tax on the car since he's a dealer at the time I had just got out of a car crash and was low on cash so it sounded like he was being helpful
what value did he write down?
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM

The Greek: The power antenna works, but the mast is gone. You will have to open up the antenna and take out the broken pieces of the mast then put the new mast in.

Originally Posted by aackshun
This is a great thread.

It'll answer those "I just brought a 4th gen, what do I do now" questions that are sooo common in the noobie thread.

Only thing left are spark plugs, IACV/TB/EGR cleaning (unless you've already done it) and you've done most of the things I can think of!!
2000_Maxima_king cleaned out the iac/tb/egr
What are the recommended spark plugs?

Shadi - Did you find the bill of sale? Do you still have his contact information?
The way I see it, someone owes me 1500.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 AM

2000_Maxima_king cleaned out the iac/tb/egr
What are the recommended spark plugs?
NGK Platinum (Copper works too) PFR5G-11
Old 01-06-2011, 12:18 PM

2000_maxima_king, did you find the previous owners information? My lawyer will be calling someone soon.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:33 PM

hope this gets worked out and the right person gets what is owed to him
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM

I looked for the bill of sale all morning and couldn't find. Shouldn't the secretary of state have a copy of it and a copy of the title before it got transferred?

I'm really trying to find it I just don't seem to know where its at I'm willing to do whatever I can so I can to save myself since I'm not guilty of anything. I don't know why you jumped the gun contacted the secretary of state and a lawyer who you going after me?
Old 01-06-2011, 01:43 PM

What am I supposed to do? I've been getting ****ed over on EVERYTHING for the past year and I'm sick of being taken advantage of. I'm a nice, good and honest person I don't need this ****.

Look in your phone to see if you have the text messages or phone calls or emails from the guy.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 PM

No I don't have anything I already tried that. Maybe when I registered the car they took the bill of sale since the guy was a dealer? This is the second time I can't find a bill of sale and both were times I purchased the car from a dealer.

I have proof I wasn't the one who ****ed with it since I went to the emissions and they turned me around because they said the cars sensors weren't ready. I have those papers from when I went and it says 91k thats what the operator entered. Why would I flip it then take it to the emissions that doesn't make sense?

If you think I owe you money then your wrong because as far as I'm concerned I sold you the same vehicle I had purchased and had no knowledge of this bs. You have my number give me a call or something.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:57 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

As entertaining as this may be, perhaps you guys should discuss this off the forum until you get to the bottom of it. A public forum is not a great place for legal issues. You might regret what you post at a later date. Good luck to you both.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
As entertaining as this may be, perhaps you guys should discuss this off the forum until you get to the bottom of it. A public forum is not a great place for legal issues. You might regret what you post at a later date. Good luck to you both.
x2

PM each other your phone numbers and discuss it...this is like a married couple discussing issues via text
Old 01-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I have pm'd him, no reply instead he decided to discuss it here
Old 01-06-2011, 05:33 PM

if you have access to your cell phone records online, you can see what number you called on which day (day you bought the car you probably called him, and you also probably bought it from a brick and mortar dealer, you just didnt hand over the money on a dark alley lol)
pretty easy to track

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
No I don't have anything I already tried that. Maybe when I registered the car they took the bill of sale since the guy was a dealer? This is the second time I can't find a bill of sale and both were times I purchased the car from a dealer.

I have proof I wasn't the one who ****ed with it since I went to the emissions and they turned me around because they said the cars sensors weren't ready. I have those papers from when I went and it says 91k thats what the operator entered. Why would I flip it then take it to the emissions that doesn't make sense?

If you think I owe you money then your wrong because as far as I'm concerned I sold you the same vehicle I had purchased and had no knowledge of this bs. You have my number give me a call or something.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Maximum Performance
if you have access to your cell phone records online, you can see what number you called on which day (day you bought the car you probably called him, and you also probably bought it from a brick and mortar dealer, you just didnt hand over the money on a dark alley lol)
pretty easy to track
The guy I bought it from lived in tinley park and it was at an apartment complex (which I'm guessing he lived in) it wasn't at a dealer.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:09 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Gamble, do you mind sharing how much you paid for the car; I didn't see it posted in the thread.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 PM

I don't really want to share it if I decide to sell it. I got my 2way remote programmed for the remote start finally.
Tomorrow I may change the tranny fluid. Can't do much else without cash.
Ordered some wled bulbs the gauge cluster too.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Ok todays update
92,6xx mile update.
Installed the rca and remote cable for the amp down the passenger side. Ran the power cord down the driver side. The good thing of having an auto when they make the same car as a manual is if you can't find a hole you can drill one through where the master cylinder goes. So that is what I did. The firewall is super thin metal so it took no time to drill a hole then put in a bigger bit and drill a bigger hole.

So I drain the trans fluid. Had my dad give me a hand which was nice and after we busted the drain loose and put the plug back in he noticed a leak so I had to drop the pan anyway. Look at how rusty it is.

Look at this hole, it's pretty big. Also there is a crack at the bottom of it.

I was going to bring it home to weld it with my MIG or use my dad's 220 stick but he said it was too rusty to weld. So we cleaned it up with a wire brush first. Then he used an oxy/acel torch and a brazing rod.
Here it is all patched up.

New screen installed.

When changing this keep all the bolts in order as some are longer/shorter than the rest. I used a 1/4" torque wrench set to 15lbs (snap-on) and it wasn't clicking so I tried it on a bolt that was already tight, the one that holds the radiator support. Well it snapped so I had to fix that and I did the filter bolts by hand. You have to be careful with these because they will snap if you are not careful.

I swear if I find something easy to do on this car I will be amazed!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:55 AM

Well not that I like to update it this way but the maxima holds up great when getting rear ended. I got rear ended while sitting still on the off ramp less than an hour ago by some ***** in a dodge caravan. She had a crater size dent and I had a scratch. She preferred not to involve the police since she didn't register her plates.
I've had nothing but a string of **** luck the past year so I figured I didn't need this headache and being the super nice guy I am I let her go free and clear.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:02 AM

dang dude...at least you only got a scratch. i did the same about a year ago in a parking lot incident...lady was speeding through the parking lot around christmas time and i was tired...looked both ways once, backed out and bam....wasnt too bad, but its what has now become my staple...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 AM

Sucks u got rear ended and the legal shyt. At least u gettin the car right
Old 01-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well not that I like to update it this way but the maxima holds up great when getting rear ended. I got rear ended while sitting still on the off ramp less than an hour ago by some ***** in a dodge caravan. She had a crater size dent and I had a scratch. She preferred not to involve the police since she didn't register her plates.
I've had nothing but a string of **** luck the past year so I figured I didn't need this headache and being the super nice guy I am I let her go free and clear.
as if you don't have enough problems but kudos for being a nice guy. Did she at least fork over any cash? It bugs me nowadays with people not keeping up on their vehicle licensing including insurance. My sister was t-boned when she had her 98 focus. Turned out it was an illegal with no insurance running a red light. He bugged out of there before police showed up. Left her car totaled.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM

No she didn't offer sh*t. I was going to ask, but then I would feel like less of a person and shady so I didn't want to I should of though.
Sometimes it sucks being a very honest person.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know what you mean, but being the honest one is better for the long run. Nothing held against you for not taking any cash. I was rear ended when I had my 07 si in stop and go traffic (rush hour). Felt like there should've been more damage with the jolt I felt. I looked for any scratches, dents or a kink in the rear bumper but there was literally nothing! The guy gave me his info anyhow just in case. He drove a newer bmw 5 series.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Yep the next person that hits me isn't going to be so lucky. Some lady coming out a Dominick's parking lot hit my last car on the door, she didn't even stop. That was 2 months ago. She didn't speak much English aside from "sorry it's my fault, do you forgive me? Can I go".....then 10min later..."you know it's your fault too!"

Todays order
Metra antenna adapter
mb quart components
5000k HID kit
and george foreman grill

Last edited by Gamble; 01-13-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:33 PM

New LED 4ways came in today. I thought the 4ways wouldn't give me dark spots but I was wrong. I'm still not happy. And the needles are hard to see. UGH!!!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 AM

well i just took the time to read up on whats been goin on with your car and...
it ****ing sucks what happened. you're being so rational and calm about all this its making me angry, but really what else can you do. going ape **** won't help lol; you seem like a chill dude, keep up the work on the car.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:18 AM

I swear if I find something easy to do on this car I will be amazed!
Tell me about it... it seems like everything i do on my '98 takes twice as long as people say haha
Hell, changing my damn pcv valve took way too long, half cuz i couldn't find it, and half cuz my hands wouldn't fit to get it.
And, changing my sway bar end links took about 3 hours and a sawzall to complete
Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by eFLO
well i just took the time to read up on whats been goin on with your car and...
it ****ing sucks what happened. you're being so rational and calm about all this its making me angry, but really what else can you do. going ape **** won't help lol; you seem like a chill dude, keep up the work on the car.
Ha man if you guys only knew. I've a very chill dude, but this ****ing black cloud has been following me around for a long damn time. Some chick hit my last car a few months back and wanted me to let her go. I did not.
I went to work on friday and bent over and ripped a big hole in my ***. WTF I'm not fat, I'm not even 200lbs.
While car shopping 2-3 months ago my dad met me at a dealer and some guy wouldn't stop blowing his horn while I was talking to my dad so I mouthed off and he called his friend. His friend came and pulled a gun on us.
My ex wife has been taking me to the cleaners the past year for our divorce and giving me a hard time seeing my daughter. Meanwhile paying $800 a month in child support.
My life has been on a downward slope for a long ****ing time now so nothing really surprises me anymore. Literally something stupid or bad happens to me all the time. My sister in law said I should seriously write a book on my luck.
But I just keep my head up.

Originally Posted by Reece616
Tell me about it... it seems like everything i do on my '98 takes twice as long as people say haha
Hell, changing my damn pcv valve took way too long, half cuz i couldn't find it, and half cuz my hands wouldn't fit to get it.
And, changing my sway bar end links took about 3 hours and a sawzall to complete
Oh man tell me about it. I've been there in the same situation.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:34 PM

So I wanted to get something done today. Decided to amber up the corners
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r-corners.html

Well I can scratch this off my list. Almost done. After HOURS of searching and going to every local store, nobody had any krylon stained glass paint. Matter of fact nobody had any stained glass paint unless it was clear and frosted. Didn't want to order online because I'm impatient and wanted to get something done today.
So I finally found a thread where someone used a dupicolor metalcast paint and said it was sold at oreilly's. (autozone doesn't have it)
So I went there on the way home from work. Little pricey it was $8 for the can and the kid said I can't return it if I spray it. So I figured ok I'll try it, if not $8 big deal.
I was very hesitant to buy it because the cap color made it look gold. I saw another can that looked more amber, but someone has said this work so I stuck with it.

Make sure the can you get looks like this

First took the lights off, 1 screw and pull. Big deal.
So this is what you need. Tape. I had painters tape so and it works well. Rubbing alcohol. Wipe the corner off with water and a paper towel. Then use the rubbing alcohol. Then I went back to some water and dry it off. This whole thing should take you 2-3 minutes per light.

Tape it off and cover all the black rubber. Take your time, it should take almost 10 minutes EACH light. Painters tape worked well because it's thin and you can kind of slide it in between the light and rubber.

Now make sure you do light coats. After a coat or two it will look like someone pissed on it. Very yellowish. The more coats the more orange it looks.
Make sure you do light even coats. I went up/down then side to side and kept switching back and forth to make sure you cover all angles. The light on the left has about 20-25 coats. The light on the right has about 15 coats.

As it dries it gets lighter, from what I have noticed.
I'll update more when it drys and they are on the car.

Edit: Probably up to like 40 coats

Last edited by Gamble; 01-16-2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:53 PM

damn Gamble - just got done reading through the thread. You have my sympathy dude - you're probably handling things a lot better than I would if I were in your shoes. Years ago I was in the same boat when I bought a 3rd gen Maxima with low mileage only to find out the odometer was rolled back and the car actually had double what I thought. I ended up reselling the car later on at a loss due to the mileage discrepancy.

Regarding the title issue, wouldn't motor vehicles have info on the owner before 2000 Maxima King? Btw, 2000 Maxima King, whether you knew of the odometer rollback or not, technically you were the last owner before Gamble. I'm not saying you should be liable for the rollback but I hope you really help Gamble out in this situation. The guy deserves a break from what I've read he's been through.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by PhatboyNYC
damn Gamble - just got done reading through the thread. You have my sympathy dude - you're probably handling things a lot better than I would if I were in your shoes. Years ago I was in the same boat when I bought a 3rd gen Maxima with low mileage only to find out the odometer was rolled back and the car actually had double what I thought. I ended up reselling the car later on at a loss due to the mileage discrepancy.

Regarding the title issue, wouldn't motor vehicles have info on the owner before 2000 Maxima King? Btw, 2000 Maxima King, whether you knew of the odometer rollback or not, technically you were the last owner before Gamble. I'm not saying you should be liable for the rollback but I hope you really help Gamble out in this situation. The guy deserves a break from what I've read he's been through.
Thanks man. According to the carfax the owner before Shadi (2000_maxima_king) it was from an auction. Shadi said he bought it from a guy so the guy could of gotten it from an auction and never registered it and just turned around to sell it for a quick buck. There are so many possibilities. I just have given up on it and going to make a reliable dd. The only reason I sold my camry was because it had 192k miles and I wanted to loose some mileage and make a reliable DD for my daughter. But I can't afford to loose money on this car and get something else so I'm going to make the best out of it. I'm going to mod it as you can see but doing it as inexpensive as possible. Just fixing little things for now. Nothing major to the car.
Funny part is I'm a hot headed italian but the past few years and with this divorce I've learned to let things roll off my back. There is way too much **** going on in my life for me to be pissed off 100% of the time. So I just put on a smile and make the best of life.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:49 PM

good work man
Old 01-17-2011, 04:22 AM

So I wanted to get something done today. Decided to amber up the corners
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...r-corners.html

Well I can scratch this off my list. Almost done. After HOURS of searching and going to every local store, nobody had any krylon stained glass paint. Matter of fact nobody had any stained glass paint unless it was clear and frosted. Didn't want to order online because I'm impatient and wanted to get something done today.
So I finally found a thread where someone used a dupicolor metalcast paint and said it was sold at oreilly's. (autozone doesn't have it)
So I went there on the way home from work. Little pricey it was $8 for the can and the kid said I can't return it if I spray it. So I figured ok I'll try it, if not $8 big deal.
I was very hesitant to buy it because the cap color made it look gold. I saw another can that looked more amber, but someone has said this work so I stuck with it.

Make sure the can you get looks like this

First took the lights off, 1 screw and pull. Big deal.
So this is what you need. Tape. I had painters tape so and it works well. Rubbing alcohol. Wipe the corner off with water and a paper towel. Then use the rubbing alcohol. Then I went back to some water and dry it off. This whole thing should take you 2-3 minutes per light.

Tape it off and cover all the black rubber. Take your time, it should take almost 10 minutes EACH light. Painters tape worked well because it's thin and you can kind of slide it in between the light and rubber.

Now make sure you do light coats. After a coat or two it will look like someone pissed on it. Very yellowish. The more coats the more orange it looks.
Make sure you do light even coats. I went up/down then side to side and kept switching back and forth to make sure you cover all angles. The light on the left has about 20-25 coats. The light on the right has about 15 coats.

As it dries it gets lighter, from what I have noticed.
I'll update more when it drys and they are on the car.

Edit: Probably up to like 40 coats

beautiful dude. surprised the metal cast looks that good. you could have went to a hobby shop btw to get the amber color
Old 01-17-2011, 06:09 AM

I went to a few hobby shops and kmart, lowes, home depot, menards and nobody had anything.
Btw if I do the red/clear tail lights do I need to put in clear acrylic or can I just take off the orange?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:11 AM

good question, most just do ebay for the red/clears, i would as well
Old 01-17-2011, 07:50 AM

I went to a few hobby shops and kmart, lowes, home depot, menards and nobody had anything.
Btw if I do the red/clear tail lights do I need to put in clear acrylic or can I just take off the orange?
IIRC if you dont put in the faux lens the light will not be reflective and will be completely clear and you will easily see the bulb

Quick Reply: Gambles progress thread