4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

driver door unlocks but none of the others

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 03:32 PM

driver door unlocks but none of the others

This has been a problem that has arised in the past 1.5 weeks. Basically, whether i use the key, keyless entry, or door unlock/lock switch, the driver side lock opens and so do the other doors but they are only open for a split second and they go back to the closed position. I also hear a "grrrrh" sound coming from the driver side door right above the courtesy light when I'm trying to unlock the doors. From, the research I've done, the problem seems to point to the door actuator, but I would like someone else to confirm before I buy another one, since each door actuator costs almost 100 dollars! Here is a video of the problem followed by two picture. I couldn't figure out how to embed the video, sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgGvZiNr7uM

Old 01-08-2011, 03:46 PM

My car did the same thing at one point. All I did was lock/unlock each door by hand from the inside about 50 times and it fixed it! Maybe I got lucky...give it a shot.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
My car did the same thing at one point. All I did was lock/unlock each door by hand from the inside about 50 times and it fixed it! Maybe I got lucky...give it a shot.
So you just pulled/pushed the door lock from every door about 50 times and somehow it worked? Seems too good to be true, but I'll give it a try. Anyone else, help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Here yah go
Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 AM

Yup it does sound too good to be true but it did the trick for me. Im thinking maybe the actuators were just jammed?...cant think of anything else...

Oh and I didnt mean locking/unlocking 50 times each door lol. 50 all together. Think it may have sounded that way but nah.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM

How the heck do you get these actuators out? I tried really hard for an hr and I gave up out of frustration. I took out the bolt under the blue rubber "bolt" as seen on the above picture. I also took out the metal line connecting to the green sleeve connecting to the actuator. I still couldn't get it out.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:36 PM

I have the same damn problem. I've had mine for about 5 years now though lol.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM

yeah i dont know what this retarded **** is either. mine only do it sometimes. and if they stay unlocked, theyll all lock when i shut the driver door. or if not then, after i start driving.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:58 PM

Mine's done this since I bought it. Unlock the door with key, and when I turn the key back to center the other three unlock and then they ALL lock again in one motion.

I think I have bad switches in my driver door lock mechanism.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:17 PM

I had this issue for the last 3 months and finally got off my *** and fixed it.
the door actuator assembly needs to be replaced.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:27 PM

This is how you remove the door lock actuators.

- The four(4) 10mm bolts in the red circles need to be removed. There is also another one on the edge of the door where the red arrow is that also needs to come out.

- Remove the 3 screws that are on the edge of the door with a phillips screwdriver where the blue arrow is.
- Remove the rod from the green connector that's in the green circle. That's the lock and unlock rod.
- Follow the rod with the solid blue arrow and disconnect it from actuator. (that's the one attached to the inside door handle)
- Unplug the connector from the actuator. The Green arrow.

The red arrow on the above picture leads to this bolt here where this red arrow is. This thing guides the glass down when you open the window. Once the bolt is removed, you will have to move this out of the way to get the actuator out.
Go slow here because you don't want to yank/break the connection of the "glass guide" where it connects at the top . Don't ask me how i know it can break.

There is another rod that connects the outside key lock to the door actuator that you will need to disconnect from the actuator before you can remove said actuator. I can't see it from your picture but you'll know it.
There are 2 rods that come down from the outside handle. One just points down and is not connected to anything and the other is the one you need to remove from the actuator.

I Hope this helps you.
Good Luck.

Oh, and if you need actuator assemblies, let me know. I may have a few available.

Last edited by maximus nismo; 01-09-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by maximus nismo
This is how you remove the door lock actuators.

- The four(4) 10mm bolts in the red circles need to be removed. There is also another one on the edge of the door where the red arrow is that also needs to come out.

- Remove the 3 screws that are on the edge of the door with a phillips screwdriver where the blue arrow is.
- Remove the rod from the green connector that's in the green circle. That's the lock and unlock rod.
- Follow the rod with the solid blue arrow and disconnect it from actuator. (that's the one attached to the inside door handle)
- Unplug the connector from the actuator. The Green arrow.

The red arrow on the above picture leads to this bolt here where this red arrow is. This thing guides the glass down when you open the window. Once the bolt is removed, you will have to move this out of the way to get the actuator out.
Go slow here because you don't want to yank/break the connection of the "glass guide" where it connects at the top . Don't ask me how i know it can break.

There is another rod that connects the outside key lock to the door actuator that you will need to disconnect from the actuator before you can remove said actuator. I can't see it from your picture but you'll know it.
There are 2 rods that come down from the outside handle. One just points down and is not connected to anything and the other is the one you need to remove from the actuator.

I Hope this helps you.
Good Luck.

Oh, and if you need actuator assemblies, let me know. I may have a few available.

Thank you so much for your help. It makes more clear sense now. I will have to try this soon. So, after you took the assembly, did you replace the entire assembly or just replaced the door actuator? This seems like a very expensive repair, the retail price of just the door actuator is 100 dollars. The entire assembly is probably even more. Yikes!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 AM

Thank you so much for your help. It makes more clear sense now. I will have to try this soon. So, after you took the assembly, did you replace the entire assembly or just replaced the door actuator? This seems like a very expensive repair, the retail price of just the door actuator is 100 dollars. The entire assembly is probably even more. Yikes!
You are welcome. I went to the junk yard and pulled the actuators I needed. Cost me way less than purchasing new. And yes, I replaced the whole thing. Lock and actuator.