4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No #194 Bulbs In 98 Max Dash!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 06:03 AM

No #194 Bulbs In 98 Max Dash!

OK well after reading several posts about changing the bulbs in the dash of a max. I came to the conclusion that the 98 used bulb size #194, and went ahead and took apart my dash. To my surprise once it had all been removed I saw that the 98 does not use #194's but soem other small mini bulb and there are not 5-6 bulbs there's like 15 of them. So now I'm stuck with the bulbs since I lost me reciept. Oh well I'm sure my corner ones and my door ones will burn out eventually. But if you ahev a 98 the bulbs are not #194.

El Cid
98 Maxima SE Black/Black
Old 12-20-2001, 06:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: No #194 Bulbs In 98 Max Dash!

Originally posted by elcid
OK well after reading several posts about changing the bulbs in the dash of a max. I came to the conclusion that the 98 used bulb size #194, and went ahead and took apart my dash. To my surprise once it had all been removed I saw that the 98 does not use #194's but soem other small mini bulb and there are not 5-6 bulbs there's like 15 of them. So now I'm stuck with the bulbs since I lost me reciept. Oh well I'm sure my corner ones and my door ones will burn out eventually. But if you ahev a 98 the bulbs are not #194.

El Cid
98 Maxima SE Black/Black
Your Maxima must be special...cause my 98 does indeed have 194's in it. I have had my dash apart several times... I installed the indiglo guages and actually removed some of the 194's and have them here... They are pretty well shoved into the little black clips though... some grunt work should get them out....

Del
Old 12-20-2001, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: No #194 Bulbs In 98 Max Dash!

I don't know about special, not so special if I can't change the F'ing bulbs. But od you ahve an SE? does yours have like a whole bunch of bulbs back there? I have a one for everything gas ligh, eng light etc... Which ones are the ones for the dash? I checked the bulbs that are behind the gas level, eng temp meter, rev meter and they are all the same mini bulb type, twist in bulb with the plastic back. Is this the sameas yours?

El Cid

Originally posted by delio

Your Maxima must be special...cause my 98 does indeed have 194's in it. I have had my dash apart several times... I installed the indiglo guages and actually removed some of the 194's and have them here... They are pretty well shoved into the little black clips though... some grunt work should get them out....

Del
Old 12-20-2001, 06:25 AM

98s were interesting. Nissan was going thru some transitions with this model. Ealry 98s have the regular 1st gen "hit you hard" airbags, but later 98s have the "deploy nice and softly" gen2 airbags. It was also the 1st year of the newer climate control unit. I've been having a hard time getting bulb replacements for those, but I think they're coming in now.

I thought 99 Maximus were intersting becuase you saw Gen 5 stuff in there in some parts, but 98s are a bit of a mixed bag, too.

DW
Old 12-20-2001, 06:25 AM

One other thing I should ahve mentioned...

My 98 SE is the Canadian model. Does that maybe have anythign to do with it?

El Cid
Old 12-20-2001, 06:44 AM

So I'm screwed....

So basically I got the dash where you can't change the bulbs. How wonderful! I got screwed. Maybe I'll just pop the #194 bulbs into my ear and hope they light up everytime I get an idea or somethign. Sh#t!

El Cid

Originally posted by dwapenyi
98s were interesting. Nissan was going thru some transitions with this model. Ealry 98s have the regular 1st gen "hit you hard" airbags, but later 98s have the "deploy nice and softly" gen2 airbags. It was also the 1st year of the newer climate control unit. I've been having a hard time getting bulb replacements for those, but I think they're coming in now.

I thought 99 Maximus were intersting becuase you saw Gen 5 stuff in there in some parts, but 98s are a bit of a mixed bag, too.

DW
Old 12-20-2001, 07:44 AM

Re: So I'm screwed....

Not screwed, but just have to work a bit harder to find the part. Right now my climate control lights are out, rather than order thru the mail b/c the parts are so small and I can just pick 'em up, I went to my local Nissan dealers. One dealer gave me the wrong bulbs, the other said they don't even make 'em. Ridiculous. So, I called up my faithfull dealer, Brown and Brown. They knew just what I needed and knew the history of the 98s.

Here's the info below if yo'd like to contact them, they will probably be able to help;

Brown and Brown Nissan, Tempe AZ
Parts department: 800-237-0003

HTH

DW

So basically I got the dash where you can't change the bulbs. How wonderful! I got screwed. Maybe I'll just pop the #194 bulbs into my ear and hope they light up everytime I get an idea or somethign. Sh#t!

El Cid

Old 12-20-2001, 08:17 AM

Re: Re: So I'm screwed....

Oh sorry man, I should of said this before. My bulbs are all fine I just wanted to swap them with some hyper whites and throw on a blue cover on them. Thanks though!

El Cid

Not screwed, but just have to work a bit harder to find the part. Right now my climate control lights are out, rather than order thru the mail b/c the parts are so small and I can just pick 'em up, I went to my local Nissan dealers. One dealer gave me the wrong bulbs, the other said they don't even make 'em. Ridiculous. So, I called up my faithfull dealer, Brown and Brown. They knew just what I needed and knew the history of the 98s.

Here's the info below if yo'd like to contact them, they will probably be able to help;

HTH

DW

Old 12-20-2001, 10:31 AM

Hahahaha, no your car is not "special" or "strange". The 15 bulbs you say you saw are the small bulbs that light up things like: ABS light, Check engine light, brake light etc.. Now there are five 194 bulbs in your dash. The 5 are up in the middle of the gauges not on the bottom were your little bulbs are. It's been a while since I changed mine but I think you have to unscrew a little plastic piece to get to each "194" bulb. So go back on out tehre and look again .
Old 12-20-2001, 12:20 PM

Damn! Take it apart again, exciting!

I'll look once I get off work. Great how fun and exciting taking apart the dash again ****! So is it under the circuit sheet thing? DAMN! I knew I should of looked more.

El Cid

Originally posted by emax95
Hahahaha, no your car is not "special" or "strange". The 15 bulbs you say you saw are the small bulbs that light up things like: ABS light, Check engine light, brake light etc.. Now there are five 194 bulbs in your dash. The 5 are up in the middle of the gauges not on the bottom were your little bulbs are. It's been a while since I changed mine but I think you have to unscrew a little plastic piece to get to each "194" bulb. So go back on out tehre and look again .
Old 12-20-2001, 12:45 PM

Re: So I'm screwed....

Maybe I'll just pop the #194 bulbs into my ear and hope they light up everytime I get an idea or somethign. Sh#t!
That's hilarious! I'm just picturing it...I bet your co-workers would freak!

Peace
Old 12-20-2001, 04:22 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: So I'm screwed....

HTH

DW

What is the # of the dash lights,..... the ones behind the A/C controls etc? Are there any superwhites or anything brighter then stock available for those lights? I've taken the dash apart a couple of times too, but didn't get to the gauge cluster....
Old 12-20-2001, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: So I'm screwed....

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

What is the # of the dash lights,..... the ones behind the A/C controls etc? Are there any superwhites or anything brighter then stock available for those lights? I've taken the dash apart a couple of times too, but didn't get to the gauge cluster....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=bulb
Old 12-21-2001, 04:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: So I'm screwed....

There are 4 bulbs for the auto-climate control. The part number is 27545-1W600. These bulbs are tiny, (maybe they're LEDs?) I beleive they also go inside the Bose stereo as well. the 194 lights, as someone already mentioned, are for the other lights in the dash.

DW

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa