4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

looking to change both lower control arms but not sure where to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 PM

looking to change both lower control arms but not sure where to start

I am looking to change both of my control arms as it seems like this is the last thing it can be . My car makes a noise. When turning left or going into a turn with my steeringwheel tilted left . You can hear it more if someone is sitting on the passenger side . Now my questions are . I would like to know where can I order. A good setonline , looking to keep my car so I want good parts . Does any one know a webside or what brand I should look for ? I was thinking that maybe napa will have moog control arms maybe ? Btw my car is lowered on tokico. Struts and s. Tein springs , thank you for all your help
Old 02-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Call Dave B @ Southpoint Nissan for new OEM control arms. Control arms is one thing that you shouldn't cheap out on, especially if you plan on keeping the car like you said.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 PM

the oem ones are like 180 each . That's a lil steep
Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by xkazik
I know. IDK how bad the roads are in NJ by you, but I'm in Queens, NY. I learned a Control arm lesson few months ago. I ended up ripping one of them due to the potholes. I only trust OEM factory replacements now, since aftermarket control arms are crap.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Some moog LCAs will cost you more than that.

I installed mevotech LCAs I got from rockauto.com about a year ago. They now cost $52:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1283822

They've given me a more comfortable ride than those highly rusted OEMs I replaced.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by jholley
Some moog LCAs will cost you more than that.

I installed mevotech LCAs I got from rockauto.com about a year ago. They now cost $52:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1283822

They've given me a more comfortable ride than those highly rusted OEMs I replaced.
Moog is a great company that makes great suspension parts. First time hearing about the Mevotech LCAs. What are the bushings made of?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Yea , nj roads are as bad , the only problem I have is that I'm not 100 %. If that's what it is . I already replaced a trans mount , all inner and outer tie rods , and boths axels , I just don't want to spend another 400 for nothing
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Yea , nj roads are as bad , the only problem I have is that I'm not 100 %. If that's what it is . I already replaced a trans mount , all inner and outer tie rods , and boths axels , I just don't want to spend another 400 for nothing
Hmmmm. Can you further describe the problem you are having? Also, what kind of noise do you get?
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM

Ok let me try . Let's say I'm driving and there's a ramp that goes left. When I turn. Left I will hear. Like a clunking noise comming out of the passenger side if there's a heavier person sitting on passenger side ill hear it more and its louder , I will even hear it just driving over a uneven road or when car bounces
Old 02-06-2011, 06:02 PM

What's the condition of the struts? Check the strut mount. Also, check the sway bar end links. They are known to cause clunking sounds. Have someone push down on the car and try to locate the sound.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:07 PM

I replaced the sway bar. Bushings as well , I forgot to mention it , I already tried pushing down on it and there's no sounds , the only thing that I'm thinking is if it would be a strut it would make a noise when steering is turned right as well and it doesn't on a right turn there's no noise at all
Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM

i'd check sway bar endlnks or strut mount before i put in the work an lca requires. and you can check both pretty ez
Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 PM

I went with this kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suspe...ht_1792wt_1165

I've had them on for around 5000 miles and no problems yet. The brand is OE Parts
Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 PM

I replaced the sway bar. Bushings as well , I forgot to mention it , I already tried pushing down on it and there's no sounds , the only thing that I'm thinking is if it would be a strut it would make a noise when steering is turned right as well and it doesn't on a right turn there's no noise at all
Double check that strut. I had a clunking sound which turned out to be the strut.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM

If you only hear that noise while turning then hitting a small object then tighten down those strut main bolts. I had the same problem a few months ago. Most everyone thaught it was the CV joints because it happened on turns. It was the main bolt on the front left strut being loose. Mounted on the knuckles those struts turn with the wheels.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:20 PM

Yea I hear no noise when hitting a bump or anything , I already checked all 3 bolts and they are tight , when I hear the noise it sounds like its comming from the axel but I already replaced them 2 on warranty just to make sure , one more thing I forgot is that I hear it too when I accelerate fast sometimes
Old 02-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ride2wheels
I went with this kit.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suspe...ht_1792wt_1165

I've had them on for around 5000 miles and no problems yet. The brand is OE Parts
You might want to keep tabs on that control arm bushing. I had purchased control arms in 07 from Ebay. Summer of 09, my control arm bushings were shot. So shot that the bushing was able to freely slide off the control arm itself.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:30 PM

Yea I hear no noise when hitting a bump or anything , I already checked all 3 bolts and they are tight......
Have you tried tightening the strut main bolt? The main bolt is in the middle of those 3 surrounding strut mount bolts. That loose bolt was causing clicking noise when I turned right.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 PM

I will check that bolt tommorow , but I really don't think that can be it , it really sounds more like it comes from the axel area then a strut , but ill give it a try
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM

have u checked the strut mount
Old 02-07-2011, 12:25 AM

I got the ebay Lower Control Arm kit and have been happy with it so far. (2 years/20k miles later). I don't see how they would cause the noise, though... I had to replace mine because the ball joint was shot and the wheels were not staying in place ... but there were no clunking sounds.

To see if your ball joints (and thus the LCA) need to be replaced, lift the car on a jack, and with two hands try to see if you can make the wheel move side to side. Especially if you can get the bottom of the wheel move in and out at all, you've got ball joint issues.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Agreed on the strut mounts. Jack up from under center crossmember till both wheels are in the air and see if a strut pops out.

I also had a similar problem when my hub started going. It would clunk when turning, braking, or accelerating, in addition to bumps and dips.

Dr J
Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 AM

Goto Rockauto.com. I think it's 40 bucks a piece w/ ball joint
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM

I need to make some template responses. One would apply to this post.

This thread is a direct result, as far as I can tell, from people BEING STUPID AND SELFISH. What is it with this forum and everyone feeling justified in chiming in with "do this, do that?" I say that with very little reservation as I know little about the history of this issue. My statement stands and applies either way. I do have is a plethora of examples to support my rant...

STOP GUESSING you impotent ignoramuses! This kid just got screwed with a bunch of work and money, most likely, based on your dumb responses.

xkazik - It sounds like you are ready to do a little investigation before you dump more money into your vehicle. That is good, but you still seem a bit hasty IMO. Why are you looking for control arms before you have proven that is your problem? I searched you to find previous posts on this issue so I could get a better scope on your issue. I did not find anything but if you can plz respond and link it that would be greatly helpful.

A control arm is a solid piece of metal. If it is making noise you better stop driving your car IMEDIATELY as you are about to break it. This would send you into an UNCONTROLLABLE situation and whatever speed you were going. LCAs don't make noise... The same goes if there is damage that limits the intended function of this part... replace it, but, in that case, it would still not be the cause of your stated issue.

Bushings do make noise, especially if they have been installed improperly. It is hard to say what might, or could, be the issue as, again, I do not have the previous posts. If you replaced the CA you might fix the problem; not because the CA was the problem, but you will be installing new bushings.

If you have not checked the stut, strut mount, and subsequent journals, I would say you are about to make an even more shortsighted and imprudent decision with this LCA replacement than I originally thought. Understand that the strut assembly is a 'problematic' issue with 4th gens. That stated, they wear down in time. They can be tricky too. It takes, in many cases, a very specific type of force to make them squeak. This more likely your issue than the systems you have already replaced.

Throwing money away is the result of listening to these self-righteous feel-gooders. Fixing ANYTHING is never about assumption; proper TS is always the answer!! Kudos for those who gave you alternative options instead of running with your assumption.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM

I know it's easier to change the lca than just the ball joint... Hence why it makes sense to me... Just sayin
Old 02-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
I need to make some template responses. One would apply to this post.

This thread is a direct result, as far as I can tell, from people BEING STUPID AND SELFISH. What is it with this forum and everyone feeling justified in chiming in with "do this, do that?" I say that with very little reservation as I know little about the history of this issue. My statement stands and applies either way. I do have is a plethora of examples to support my rant...

STOP GUESSING you impotent ignoramuses! This kid just got screwed with a bunch of work and money, most likely, based on your dumb responses.

xkazik - It sounds like you are ready to do a little investigation before you dump more money into your vehicle. That is good, but you still seem a bit hasty IMO. Why are you looking for control arms before you have proven that is your problem? I searched you to find previous posts on this issue so I could get a better scope on your issue. I did not find anything but if you can plz respond and link it that would be greatly helpful.

A control arm is a solid piece of metal. If it is making noise you better stop driving your car IMEDIATELY as you are about to break it. This would send you into an UNCONTROLLABLE situation and whatever speed you were going. LCAs don't make noise... The same goes if there is damage that limits the intended function of this part... replace it, but, in that case, it would still not be the cause of your stated issue.

Bushings do make noise, especially if they have been installed improperly. It is hard to say what might, or could, be the issue as, again, I do not have the previous posts. If you replaced the CA you might fix the problem; not because the CA was the problem, but you will be installing new bushings.

If you have not checked the stut, strut mount, and subsequent journals, I would say you are about to make an even more shortsighted and imprudent decision with this LCA replacement than I originally thought. Understand that the strut assembly is a 'problematic' issue with 4th gens. That stated, they wear down in time. They can be tricky too. It takes, in many cases, a very specific type of force to make them squeak. This more likely your issue than the systems you have already replaced.

Throwing money away is the result of listening to these self-righteous feel-gooders. Fixing ANYTHING is never about assumption; proper TS is always the answer!! Kudos for those who gave you alternative options instead of running with your assumption.
Thanks for all the help . As of now I am really looking to solve this noise because. It makes me not like my car and I even though about selling it because of this issue . When I get out of work I will check all the bolts on the struts to make sure they are tight . For now I'm just looking into things I can try. To check before I change anything else , the bushings are installed by my good friend and I'm pretty sure he didn't mess anything up his really carefull when it comes to that . First on my list today are the bolts since its the simplest thing . How do I check the hub ? When I looked at my control arms they looked. And felt good , no movement and bushings are in place
Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM

I am looking to change both of my control arms as it seems like this is the last thing it can be . My car makes a noise. When turning left or going into a turn with my steeringwheel tilted left . You can hear it more if someone is sitting on the passenger side . Now my questions are . I would like to know where can I order. A good setonline , looking to keep my car so I want good parts . Does any one know a webside or what brand I should look for ? I was thinking that maybe napa will have moog control arms maybe ? Btw my car is lowered on tokico. Struts and s. Tein springs , thank you for all your help
Before you go and do that make sure its not your CV Axle, mines was making like a clicking noise. which ever side is making the noise cut the wheel all the way so you can see if the boot is ripped.
Best of luck
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any possibility of getting a video with audio of the noise? Just about all new phones and cameras can do it nowadays.
Dr J
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by J2songz
Before you go and do that make sure its not your CV Axle, mines was making like a clicking noise. which ever side is making the noise cut the wheel all the way so you can see if the boot is ripped.
Best of luck
Both of my axels were changed not even a year ago . they where replaced with raxals and i heard they best you can get .
Old 02-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Any possibility of getting a video with audio of the noise? Just about all new phones and cameras can do it nowadays.
Dr J
Ok I did try to tighten the main bolts on the struts , Passenger side did move but only a lil bit, i didnt get a chance of checking if that helped because im already at work , but i dont think that would do that big of a difference . I made 2 videos , apologies for the bad quality but i was recording it on my way to work , i picked 2 of them that you can hear the noise clearly . You can hear the noise on both of the videos . the phone was laying on the passenger side leg room .
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...10207-1427.mp4

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...10207-1412.mp4
on this one you can hear the noise 15 sec withing the video
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...10207-1412.mp4
Sounds like a worn strut mount. You said you already checked?
Old 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah never heard that B4
Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 AM

Ok I did try to tighten the main bolts on the struts , Passenger side did move but only a lil bit, i didnt get a chance of checking if that helped because im already at work , but i dont think that would do that big of a difference . I made 2 videos , apologies for the bad quality but i was recording it on my way to work , i picked 2 of them that you can hear the noise clearly . You can hear the noise on both of the videos . the phone was laying on the passenger side leg room .
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...10207-1427.mp4

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b1...10207-1412.mp4
sound like the wheel hub i went through this this past summer i changed sway bar bushings end links strut mounts lca bushing and ball joints and i still had that sound what i did to check this was i jacked up the car and remove the wheel an brake assembly and also the rotor then i grabed the stud where the lug nut go and wiggled from side to side there was a ton of play so i went to the junk yard and pulled a hub assembly of another max and i havent heard the noise since

i was strapped for cash at the time thats why i went junk yard route if this does turn out to be your issue u may want to press new bearing into ur hub
Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by luke95gxe
sound like the wheel hub i went through this this past summer i changed sway bar bushings end links strut mounts lca bushing and ball joints and i still had that sound what i did to check this was i jacked up the car and remove the wheel an brake assembly and also the rotor then i grabed the stud where the lug nut go and wiggled from side to side there was a ton of play so i went to the junk yard and pulled a hub assembly of another max and i havent heard the noise since

i was strapped for cash at the time thats why i went junk yard route if this does turn out to be your issue u may want to press new bearing into ur hub
so are you saying i need a new hub or just the wheel bearing ? i guess you saying i need a new wheel bearing but you just got a whole hub at the junk yard because it was cheaper ? i did just look at my maintenance sheet and it looks like i have changed the drivers side bearing but not passenger
Old 02-08-2011, 08:30 AM

so are you saying i need a new hub or just the wheel bearing ? i guess you saying i need a new wheel bearing but you just got a whole hub at the junk yard because it was cheaper ? i did just look at my maintenance sheet and it looks like i have changed the drivers side bearing but not passenger
yeah i just got a whole hub cuz it was cheaper for me at the time but yeah u just need new bearing pressed in but check for play before u spend money on it
Old 02-08-2011, 08:32 AM

can the hub be bad or it can only be the wheel bearing that will have the play ?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:34 AM

I have an idea... clutch in then make the left turn, see if the noise goes away.

Report back findings.

Sidenote: Short of a pretty hard crash/accident there is no need to replace the LCAs, even in that case, no way in hell you need to goto the dealership and get new ones, goto the junk yard and get the LCAs and then replace all of the bushings, links, joints with new ones.

Last edited by aackshun; 02-08-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:37 AM

what was it ? i think i already tried that and it made the noise anyways
Old 02-08-2011, 08:39 AM

My 5spd is damn near destroyed, diff bearing being one of the many bad bearings in it, and it made that exact same noise on right turns, I started clutching in on turns to make the noise go away cause it was annoying.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM

mines happen on left turns or when steering is tilted left . but my tranny shifts smooth

Quick Reply: looking to change both lower control arms but not sure where to start