4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How is this even possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 AM

How is this even possible?

So the other day I cleaned all of the grounds and spark plugs under the hood and was surprised when I saw little difference when I drove around for a little bit. The next day I decided to go to the pool and on the way there the strangest thing happened.

I was driving and all of a sudden my car upshifts, I feel a sudden loss of power, and it feels like one of my tires gave out. So I pull over and check to find everything ok. Puzzled, I restart my car and continue on and find my car functioning better than normal with better shifting quality and a significant boost in torque and power. ?

My car has been running better ever since, can anyone explain this phenomenon?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:57 AM

I can not speak for the loss of power issue as you were not very descriptive.

The “phenomenon” is called Ohms Law. Your car is designed to run at a set voltage. [Going back to the beginning.] Based on this constant Nissan then proceeded to create an electronics system about this constant. Since each component has a constant the only two variables to then set would be current and resistance (less conversion/inversion). Your spark plugs rely on these three parameters (current, resistance and voltage) to make an appropriate arc. Thus when you introduce the variable of greater resistance to the equation, the aforementioned parameter (current) is no longer constant. (Your alternator will not stop producing its set voltage and current... (yes until failure you smart-asses)) So in quick summery, every small resistance change, internal or external, to a component WILL effect your vehicle. Whether you notice or not is another issue.

That was just one small example. Now let us multiply this occurrence by 15 or more components that effect the greater volumetric efficiency of the engine. Now it is not hard to imagine why your car is running better. This general concept seems to baffle people. I hope I have explained it in an easy to understand manner. Do not limit this idea to just electronics though. The same goes for every system in your car. This forum is plagued with simple issues that can, for the most part, be blamed on improper upkeep.

Cars do not usually fail from inherent mechanical stress. They fail from stresses introduced by poor maintenance. Sadly everything has a 'life span,' That said, do not accept this truth with passive resignation using it as a way to 'create an excuse'. Instead use the idea, and Dillano609 's first hand experience, from a wholistic perspective, as an REASON to do your PMCS.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
I can not speak for the loss of power issue as you were not very descriptive.

The “phenomenon” is called Ohms Law. Your car is designed to run at a set voltage. [Going back to the beginning.] Based on this constant Nissan then proceeded to create an electronics system about this constant. Since each component has a constant the only two variables to then set would be current and resistance (less conversion/inversion). Your spark plugs rely on these three parameters (current, resistance and voltage) to make an appropriate arc. Thus when you introduce the variable of greater resistance to the equation, the aforementioned parameter (current) is no longer constant. (Your alternator will not stop producing its set voltage and current... (yes until failure you smart-asses)) So in quick summery, every small resistance change, internal or external, to a component WILL effect your vehicle. Whether you notice or not is another issue.

That was just one small example. Now let us multiply this occurrence by 15 or more components that effect the greater volumetric efficiency of the engine. Now it is not hard to imagine why your car is running better. This general concept seems to baffle people. I hope I have explained it in an easy to understand manner. Do not limit this idea to just electronics though. The same goes for every system in your car. This forum is plagued with simple issues that can, for the most part, be blamed on improper upkeep.

Cars do not usually fail from inherent mechanical stress. They fail from stresses introduced by poor maintenance. Sadly everything has a 'life span,' That said, do not accept this truth with passive resignation using it as a way to 'create an excuse'. Instead use the idea, and Dillano609 's first hand experience, from a wholistic perspective, as an REASON to do your PMCS.
wow!
u should write a book,well said!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:01 AM

@adroitcaptor Well put, I give you props for such a great explaination. Perhaps the loss of power I had was an illusion from when my car randomly upshifted. The thing that still baffles me is why it took until the next day to function better. Perhaps it takes a little while for changes like that to take effect. I can definately say that cleaning the grounds will have a positive effect after taking care of the car unlike its previous owner.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:53 PM

jesus christ
Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by GGENIUS
jesus christ
lol, what. of course, it all makes sense now!!! if you fix $hit instead of ignoring those little annoying lights on your dash your car will run better!!!! what do you know, i figured this $hit out like, i dont know, on my first car....
Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM

wat