4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Procharging my VQ30DE

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 PM

Procharging my VQ30DE

ok guys, so im looking to boost my 97 SE. i was interested in finding one of the Stillin kits; but after i did some research i came across the procharger and am leaning more towards that and making my own custom kit. just looking for ideas and what i need to build the kit. the procharger has self-contained oil so oil lines are out of the equations. any tips will be greatly appreciated
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 315max
ok guys, so im looking to boost my 97 SE. i was interested in finding one of the Stillin kits; but after i did some research i came across the procharger and am leaning more towards that and making my own custom kit. just looking for ideas and what i need to build the kit. the procharger has self-contained oil so oil lines are out of the equations. any tips will be greatly appreciated
Which compressor are you going to use?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 AM

You say that you are going to make your own kit... yet you have done very little research. Unless you do the ground work yourself and are able to ask specific questions, you will never have the understanding to properly boost your maxi.

My suggestion to you - look at what other kits (like the stillen kit) include, what they lack, what are common upgrades other maxima.org'ers have done post install, and theory craft the holes. Once you have a real good idea of the basics people can start to help you from there.

In order to comprehensively answer your question I would need a couple hours and at least 3 pages of text.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Sounds like a pipe dream to me.....

Old 02-11-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Which compressor are you going to use?
after looking through their compressors i think i am going to use the "C-2."
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by adroitcaptor
You say that you are going to make your own kit... yet you have done very little research. Unless you do the ground work yourself and are able to ask specific questions, you will never have the understanding to properly boost your maxi.

My suggestion to you - look at what other kits (like the stillen kit) include, what they lack, what are common upgrades other maxima.org'ers have done post install, and theory craft the holes. Once you have a real good idea of the basics people can start to help you from there.

In order to comprehensively answer your question I would need a couple hours and at least 3 pages of text.
i kno that i need some type of FMU, i am going to be running the greddy E-manage ultimate, some type of blow-off valve, probably a z32 MAF. sorry guys wasnt really specific, what im looking for is more like fuel pump and injectors. ive been reading a lot of build threads that are using the wahlboro 255, but im asking more of what is everybody elses opinions. sorry again

thanks,
Old 02-11-2011, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Sounds like a pipe dream to me.....

i kno youve been on here a while, read a lot of your posts and actually looked up to you until now. why u gotta come on my thread and be negative? you dont even kno me so how can you say that? ive been drag racing since i was 13 and kno a lot about cars. "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything."
Old 02-11-2011, 06:12 AM

i kno youve been on here a while, read a lot of your posts and actually looked up to you until now. why u gotta come on my thread and be negative? you dont even kno me so how can you say that? ive been drag racing since i was 13 and kno a lot about cars. "if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything."

Why? Probably because 90% of all noobs come on here and talk about S/C, turbo or 3.5 swap, and they never do anything. They realize that its going to take a lot of money to do the work, money that most 16 year olds dont have
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 AM

i kno that i need some type of FMU, i am going to be running the greddy E-manage ultimate, some type of blow-off valve, probably a z32 MAF. sorry guys wasnt really specific, what im looking for is more like fuel pump and injectors. ive been reading a lot of build threads that are using the wahlboro 255, but im asking more of what is everybody elses opinions. sorry again
I think you missed the point of my post...

What you are really asking is to be spoon fed 90% of the information. At the end of the day you really will not have gained much but a bunch of right or wrong opinions. My original statement stands... (Use the search button. There are plenty of opinions in past threads.)

If you learn you will not have to ask simple questions like which pump or what size injectors. You will have the knowledge to make an informed decision on your own. The most you will need is to ask a [very specific] question of, most likely, comparison.

Simply because you started the thread does not necessitate ownership. You call for good etiquette with your cliche "something nice to say" but did not render that which you demanded? It can be your thread all day long; until you realize it is the moderator's thread.

Please explain how and to what capacity you have been drag racing [before legally possible] since the age of 13... Furthermore how does that factor in to your knowledge of forced induction? Not only do I see no correlation but I think back to my former years and, "that is something my dumb ignorant *** would have come up with," comes to mind.

Stop the, "I can't respect you anymore" mantra. Honestly dude, if you want to be treated as an adult and/or an intelligent adult, please act like one. I do not assume those who come asking to be spoon fed extremely complex information are much for intelligent. The same can be said for maturity.

So let us start off on the right foot here. Take a deep breath and ignore that frustration inside of you. Instead of outlining 3 things you thought of off the top of your head, why don't you include the following: Overall target price, SC model, bracket source, piping source, EM type and model, injector type and flow, FPR, etc.

I would suggest letting this thread die, do about 2-4 weeks of real good research, learn all about forced induction, and then come back and ask some poignant questions. GL
Old 02-11-2011, 07:45 AM

What you are really asking is to be spoon fed 90% of the information. At the end of the day you really will not have gained much but a bunch of right or wrong opinions. My original statement stands... (Use the search button. There are plenty of opinions in past threads.)

If you learn you will not have to ask simple questions like which pump or what size injectors. You will have the knowledge to make an informed decision on your own. The most you will need is to ask a [very specific] question of, most likely, comparison.

Simply because you started the thread does not necessitate ownership. You call for good etiquette with your cliche "something nice to say" but did not render that which you demanded? It can be your thread all day long; until you realize it is the moderator's thread.

Please explain how and to what capacity you have been drag racing [before legally possible] since the age of 13... Furthermore how does that factor in to your knowledge of forced induction? Not only do I see no correlation but I think back to my former years and, "that is something my dumb ignorant *** would have come up with," comes to mind.

Stop the, "I can't respect you anymore" mantra. Honestly dude, if you want to be treated as an adult and/or an intelligent adult, please act like one. I do not assume those who come asking to be spoon fed extremely complex information are much for intelligent. The same can be said for maturity.

So let us start off on the right foot here. Take a deep breath and ignore that frustration inside of you. Instead of outlining 3 things you thought of off the top of your head, why don't you include the following: Overall target price, SC model, bracket source, piping source, EM type and model, injector type and flow, FPR, etc.

I would suggest letting this thread die, do about 2-4 weeks of real good research, learn all about forced induction, and then come back and ask some poignant questions. GL
you can legally start drag racing at the age of. its called a junior dragster. i was running u are only allowed to go as fast as 7.90 @ 85mph in the 1/8th mile. so i kno how much it costs, i gathered roughly $40,000 of sponsorship money to order my own chassis and everything. i ordered all the parts for the engine and out that together by myself with my dad watching. and im not 16, im 19, earning money is not an issue for me. i have a job where i bring home $300 a week with absolutely no bills at the moment. i kno how forced induction works, i jus want different peoples opinions based on what they have used. i will be making my own bracket and piecing together my own charge pipe. i have my own mill and everything to do all of my own work
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Yeah, I would have come back with the same at 16 also... lol

Here is a little wisdom I have learned. People who are in the know do thus not ask. My statement still stands. You are asking for "opinions" with absolutely no specified direction. I would venture to say this is a lost cause. You either do not understand how communication works or your story is complete BS. Either way if you want anyone to help you, be more specific.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Yeah, I would have come back with the same at 16 also... lol

Here is a little wisdom I have learned. People who are in the know do thus not ask. My statement still stands. You are asking for "opinions" with absolutely no specified direction. I would venture to say this is a lost cause. You either do not understand how communication works or your story is complete BS. Either way if you want anyone to help you, be more specific.
I think someone peed in your cereal this morning, your last couple of post have been a wee bit angst

Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 AM

Old 02-11-2011, 08:39 AM

^ Hey, that's my gig, find your own.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
^ Hey, that's my gig, find your own.
Its mine And that was directed at the OP, not you aaron
Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Boosted Panda

thanks,
With the EU, you do not need the FMU. As far as the fuel pump goes, that Walbro 255 will be fine. Injectors will be based on the amount of boost you wish to make, once again, search...er I mean research.
How do you plan on mounting the blower?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM

jus for a lil perspective...a used Stillen s/C kit is like $3000. Not including engine upgrades. Its a huge undertaking.

U can either boost, try the 00VI or 3.5L engine swap. The 3.5L and 00VI will be much cheaper than trying to boost.

And Captor is right man. Do more research. Check motor section. The VQ30 can be boosted with turbo, but its ALL custom. At least with the supercharger there is a kit and prolly a few members that can help u out if u have questions. U really gonna have to get yur knowledge up if u want to install turbo.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Got Retrofit?

Old 02-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can legally start drag racing at the age of. its called a junior dragster. i was running u are only allowed to go as fast as 7.90 @ 85mph in the 1/8th mile. so i kno how much it costs, i gathered roughly $40,000 of sponsorship money to order my own chassis and everything. i ordered all the parts for the engine and out that together by myself with my dad watching. and im not 16, im 19, earning money is not an issue for me. i have a job where i bring home $300 a week with absolutely no bills at the moment. i kno how forced induction works, i jus want different peoples opinions based on what they have used. i will be making my own bracket and piecing together my own charge pipe. i have my own mill and everything to do all of my own work
Dude...with that kinda money you should be fat rollin' yo!

Maybe you can afford everything in a few years. Or maybe you will just spend it on some spray tan and a Justin Bieber haircut. Anyway...rude punk newbies don't get much love around here. Do some research and formulate some kind of plan and THEN ask for opinions.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM

im not tryin to be rude. i just want some other peoples perspectives on what i shoud use. i've been reading a lot of N/A and boost threads. it jus bothers me that someone new to boosting comes in, asks some question and jus gets completely shot down and told off. ive done my research, im jus asking for opinions, im looking to run around 12psi with a procherger. 3" charge pipe with a z32 maf, e-manage ultimate, what im not certain about is what fuel pump and what size injectors. the procharger will be in place just like the stillen kit, but i will be fabricatin my own custom bracket. the reason im not going with a kit is because i want to build my own. i havent come across anybody with a max running a procharger so i want to be able to say im the only person with this set up. im sorry if i offended some of you other guys. so to be completely specific...what is the best fuel pump and injectors to use for around 12psi
Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM

No big deal. I don't know the answer so I don't want to guess. You do know there is a forced induction section of this forum, right? Your questions would be better addressed there I think. There are several factors to look into though. I don't know if the stock VQ30 bottom end will support 12 psi. What are your goals for the car? (drag, street, scca, etc.) What kind of budget do you have? Telling us how much money you make doesn't help btw. A fully built motor and forced induction system with supporting mods (brakes/suspension/drivetrain) could easily cost >$10K. Is that reasonable for you?

If you are serious there are serious people you can call for answers. ATI for example or JWT or RC Engineering.

Sorry for the attitude but 19 yr old kids talking up a storm about FI maximas are a dime a dozen around here....it gets old.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
No big deal. I don't know the answer so I don't want to guess. You do know there is a forced induction section of this forum, right? Your questions would be better addressed there I think. There are several factors to look into though. I don't know if the stock VQ30 bottom end will support 12 psi. What are your goals for the car? (drag, street, scca, etc.) What kind of budget do you have? Telling us how much money you make doesn't help btw. A fully built motor and forced induction system with supporting mods (brakes/suspension/drivetrain) could easily cost >$10K. Is that reasonable for you?

If you are serious there are serious people you can call for answers. ATI for example or JWT or RC Engineering.

Sorry for the attitude but 19 yr old kids talking up a storm about FI maximas are a dime a dozen around here....it gets old.
no apology needed, ive been thinking bout doing it since i got the car. now that the car needs a new trans im finally going to boost it also. ive read that the vq30 holds good up to 14psi, but idc if i blow it as im building a vq35 over the winter. im ready to sink every last penny i make into this car. i was on a semi-pro paintball team but i quit that so i could save more money, sold my ps3 and all of snowboarding gear. when i get an idea in my head i follow through with it. and yes, im upgrading the suspension to ksport coil overs with a bbk(dont kno which brand yet). my goals are street with going to the track every sunday. and since the car wont be done all at once the budget isn't a factor. when i get the money for something i'll get it. thank you for understanding
Old 02-11-2011, 01:40 PM
KH3 by popular demand

For turbo.
For s/c

Last edited by maxgtr2000; 02-11-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
AKA, the bibles of FI.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The chances of you getting a custom centrifugal supercharger to work and be reliable is not good. We can all talk. We can all dream. But you are just going to start a money pit. Modding cars is a waste of money. Ive built plenty to know.

Wanna brag? Save your money and buy a house.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:48 PM

A fully built motor and forced induction system with supporting mods (brakes/suspension/drivetrain) could easily cost >$10K.
AKA, the bibles of FI.
+1 totally agree^^^^^^^
Old 02-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
What it this SAVE you speak of? Unknown term...
Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
Why? Probably because 90% of all noobs come on here and talk about S/C, turbo or 3.5 swap, and they never do anything. They realize that its going to take a lot of money to do the work, money that most 16 year olds dont have
This...

What you are really asking is to be spoon fed 90% of the information.
At the end of the day you really will not have gained much but a bunch of right or wrong opinions. My original statement stands... (Use the search button. There are plenty of opinions in past threads.)

Game. Set. and Match. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I cosign this post as well.

No hard feelings OP, it's just that your approach is all wrong, and it certainly comes across that you want to be spoonfed.

Figure out 90% on your own, then ask for help with the last 10% and exude your knowledge/wisdom at the same time.

Research it, design it, build it, show it off... enjoy it.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
The chances of you getting a custom centrifugal supercharger to work and be reliable is not good. We can all talk. We can all dream. But you are just going to start a money pit. Modding cars is a waste of money. Ive built plenty to know.

why do u say that the chances arent good? somebody had to build the original stillen kit, especially since its just a vortech supercharger with custom piping. its my money, i'll "waste" it how i want to. i dont need a house, id rather live with my parents and have the fastest car around
Old 02-11-2011, 03:56 PM
dot dot dot ...

Go roots type like CraigMack, that be cool.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:01 PM

id rather live with my parents and have the fastest car around
If the fastest thing around you is a Maxima thats sad.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:07 PM

If the fastest thing around you is a Maxima thats sad.
i never said a maxima was the fastest thing around. the fastest import around here is a turbo'd 240sx
Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 PM

OP: go with the walbro 255 fuel pump. as far as injectors go, for your particular goals id think 440s or higher would suffice.

if you have any other questions feel free to pm me. i understand everyones rule about spood feeding, but i personally could care less about giving you any info that i can provide. youre an adult, you can handle yourself and if you want to be quote on quote "spoonfed" as its called around here, its certainly not gonna hurt ME one bit to answer any questions you have. we all get spoonfed or spoonfeed everyday of our lives.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM

after looking through their compressors i think i am going to use the "C-2."
Mount the s/c to the motor using an adapter plate like the stillen kit because you want it to move with the motor; charge pipe, couplers, t-bolt clamps, BOV
-Walbro 255 HP fuel pump; hard wired
-NGK copper one step colder NGK # BKR6E-11 gapped to 0.034"
-Either methanol injection, intercooler air-air or air-water, or inject nitrous into the s/c
-coil booster http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ing-spark.html
-2000-2001 maxima VQ30DE-K variable intake manifold swap including lower intake manifold so that you can use 470cc injectors for really! cheap from a svt terminator cobra http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...injectors.html
-headers, y-pipe, hi-flo cat, cat-back; 3" piping
-e-manage ultimate, laptop, wideband 02
-J&S safeguard
-S/C cold air intake

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
OP: go with the walbro 255 fuel pump. as far as injectors go, for your particular goals id think 440s or higher would suffice.

if you have any other questions feel free to pm me. i understand everyones rule about spood feeding, but i personally could care less about giving you any info that i can provide. youre an adult, you can handle yourself and if you want to be quote on quote "spoonfed" as its called around here, its certainly not gonna hurt ME one bit to answer any questions you have. we all get spoonfed or spoonfeed everyday of our lives.
thank you for actually giving me advice, thats exactly what i was looking at but i wanted to get a follow up on it so im not wasting needed money. if i wanted "spoon fed" info, i would have said; "i want to boost my car, what do i do?"
Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Mount the s/c to the motor using an adapter plate like the stillen kit because you want it to move with the motor; charge pipe, couplers, t-bolt clamps, BOV
-Walbro 255 HP fuel pump; hard wired
-NGK copper one step colder NGK # BKR6E-11 gapped to 0.034"
-Either methanol injection, intercooler air-air or air-water, or inject nitrous into the s/c
-coil booster http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...ing-spark.html
-2000-2001 maxima VQ30DE-K variable intake manifold swap including lower intake manifold so that you can use 470cc injectors for really! cheap from a svt terminator cobra http://forums.maxima.org/supercharge...injectors.html
-headers, y-pipe, hi-flo cat, cat-back; 3" piping
-e-manage ultimate, laptop, wideband 02
-J&S safeguard
-S/C cold air intake

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.
thats exactly how i was going to mount it, i was gonna do the cold air intake, air-to-air intercooler. headers, y-pipe, but the exhaust im getting the greddy SE. no variable intake, just boosting it for the summer, then next winter is gonna be the full buil. vq35 swap, either JWT or crower cams, stroker kit, 6 spd swap with nitrous. its about time some NICE people came into this thread.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 PM

So no 3" exhaust?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 PM

If you are going to do a VQ35 build next winter, why bother with the 30? Just save the cash, do some type of Forced induction (no clue wtf would go on a 35) on the VQ35.

If you are itching to drive fast, play a damn video game.

Want audio in your car? Get the Greddy BOV simulator application and go to town.

just sayin'
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 PM

everything thats on his to do list can be swapped over or used in his vq35 build....

just sayin'

Quick Reply: Procharging my VQ30DE