4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ran auto transmission with low fluid... Slipping and no 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Ran auto transmission with low fluid... Slipping and no 2nd

Hi Gang,

First off, I never checked my tranny fluid correctly. I always checked it like oil. I know the difference now. It's been 3 years since I have had this car. It's always had a quart or two less fluid than it should have had.

So, before I figured out the right way to check the fluid, I was trying to alleviate a shifting hesitation... I took out another 1.5 quarts.

Needless to say it didn't help the shifting.

The tranny started slipping, more slip with more pedal, and 2nd stopped shifting from 1st. I drove on this for 3 days. About 90 miles mixed highway and city.

NOW, after the fluid is correct, filter is changed, and magnets are clean (magnets were REALLY muddy but probably were never cleaned in the 160k miles on the tranny) the slipping is better, but still slips based on the amount of pedal, with the slip more pronounced the higher the gear.

2nd is still f'ed. After my 15-20 minute commute home I can DOWNSHIFT reasonable well into 2nd, but it almost never triggers from first. The rare exception is when the tranny is warm and I rev it to 6k+ and let off the gas. Sometimes it catches around 2.5k. Otherwise if I were to select 2, it just stays in first and is disengaged on 0 pedal.

I can stomach $500-1k, but will be looking outside the box if it's more than that to fix. (5spd?!?!?!?)

I'd really love some advice pertaining to keeping an auto though.

And a special preemptive thank you to those that took the time to respond.

-T
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Running that low on fluid is death to an auto transmission. You may have killed it already. It sounds like you have burnt up the friction discs for 2nd gear at least. I think finding a used transmission would fall in your price range of repair. A rebuild is probably going to be a bit more, maybe $1500+. I am not an expert on slushboxes by any means though, so maybe someone else could chime in here?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM
dot dot dot ...

Ooo, that's what mine does and IMO, it's done, slipping no 2nd or 4th.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:14 PM

I ran mine on about half the fluid it should have and it only took one day to kill the friction disks for 4th, and ruin them for the rest of the gears.

So, yes your transmission is screwed. Good news is: $350 for a transmission from e-bay with 6month warranty. + $350-400 to replace it. (That's what I'm paying right now)
So total you are looking at about $700 to have it up and running. Just be sure you get a transmission out of a car that really didn't have a change to have anything wrong with the tranny - ideally a car with rear end accident damage.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:31 PM

5 speeds are so much more fun ... but I understand auto is convenient and gets just a bit better hwy mpg due to a better gear ratio... Good luck with finding and installing a replacement.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:03 PM

I paid $375 including tax from a junkyard using car-part.com and replaced it myself. The trans ended up being a rebuilt unit too. If you're interested in doing it yourself, before this I never did anything like this and I can tell you with basic hand tools you can change it in a day if you take your sweet time. The hardest part is lifting/lowering the trans if you're alone.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:22 PM

Oy, forgot that. Ditto on what Quickywd01 said.
It can be done in a day by yourself with some tools, just be sure you got a garage because it won't be fun in cold weather.
And a spare jack. Yes a spare jack with some wood so the 110lb transmission doesn't squish you. Or break your fingers. I've seen it happen. Not fun.

As far as the time goes - it took me about 5 hours to get the transmission out of a car that was being scrapped. That was my first time doing it ever. putting the tranny back would probably take half that.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
dot dot dot ...

Buy some tarps and such to avoid effing up your garage floor Not that I know or anything.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Buy some tarps and such to avoid effing up your garage floor Not that I know or anything.
LOL...this is why I have to redo the floor coating in my dad's garage.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
I paid $375 including tax from a junkyard using car-part.com and replaced it myself. The trans ended up being a rebuilt unit too. If you're interested in doing it yourself, before this I never did anything like this and I can tell you with basic hand tools you can change it in a day if you take your sweet time. The hardest part is lifting/lowering the trans if you're alone.
Well it's pretty great to hear this from someone. I appreciate everyone's candor. The thing I'm really worried about is how to tell if the used one I pick up is good or bad. I guess you just have to try it out.

I will report back on my developments, and thank you all for responding.

-T
Old 02-12-2011, 11:43 PM

i have an auto and my transmission has locked up on me twice.. because of no fluid in trans both times ( Noob at the time still am)....no issues with mine lucky as Shhiiii i guess
Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 PM

So slow going on the change... I haven't done it yet.

I have a pretty great friend who will help me. There's a dismantler nearby selling these for $400 or so. There are some VLSDs around, and I need to replace the driver's side CV anyway.

Has anyone seen a writeup around? I actually have been sifting a bit.

I'm compiling the data now, and any extra help my way would go the distance. It's now or never for me, I have the garage for another week or two.

I have the FSM and the two maintenance books.

(Anyone around San Jose looking to make some dough on the weekend who's done it already, let me know!)