4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

It's Back On The Road! But not quite right.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:23 AM

It's Back On The Road! But not quite right.

Well the $750 1999 Max GLE with 115k miles I bought that was wrecked is back on the road. It took more than I expected. Mostly because I tried to go with used parts and they ended up being worn out. So, I ended up buying new stuff anyway. So here's the run down on parts replaced so far.

Front wheels/tires
rear motor mount
front crank seal
A/C compressor
compressor mount bracket & bolts
oil pan and pickup tube/screen
camshaft position sensor o-ring
lower control arms with b. joints and bushings
K-frame AKA cross member
longitudinal engine support brace "holds front and rear motor mount"
sway bar and end links
rack & pinion with tie rod ends
front brake pads
left drive axle
right wheel well splash shield
Exhaust manifold gaskets

I drove it to work today. It is still a little off. I ordered a full set of pre-assembled front and rear struts today along with a new set of NGK irridium spark plugs.

I hope that ends up being all. I am at about $2k into the car including buying it now. It adds up fast! It ended up costing me over $200 for a lifetime warranty alignment and 2 old wheel lock removals at Firestone alone.

I am kinda partial to these cars. I put 200k on two in the past. There's just not too many cars out there for the money that compare to the 95-99 Max and I30.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by txsilverado1
Well the $750 1999 Max GLE with 115k miles I bought that was wrecked is back on the road. It took more than I expected. Mostly because I tried to go with used parts and they ended up being worn out. So, I ended up buying new stuff anyway. So here's the run down on parts replaced so far.

Front wheels/tires
rear motor mount
front crank seal
A/C compressor
compressor mount bracket & bolts
oil pan and pickup tube/screen
camshaft position sensor o-ring
lower control arms with b. joints and bushings
K-frame AKA cross member
longitudinal engine support brace "holds front and rear motor mount"
sway bar and end links
rack & pinion with tie rod ends
front brake pads
left drive axle
right wheel well splash shield
Exhaust manifold gaskets

I drove it to work today. It is still a little off. I ordered a full set of pre-assembled front and rear struts today along with a new set of NGK irridium spark plugs.

I hope that ends up being all. I am at about $2k into the car including buying it now. It adds up fast! It ended up costing me over $200 for a lifetime warranty alignment and 2 old wheel lock removals at Firestone alone.

I am kinda partial to these cars. I put 200k on two in the past. There's just not too many cars out there for the money that compare to the 95-99 Max and I30.
The car will look after you and thank you later so don't worry about the amount of money being put in. Lifetime wheel alignment does sound very interesting though...only Firestone has this feature??
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Firestone is the only one I am aware of that offers the lifetime alignment. I know it's expensive at first, but make sure you use it a couple of times and it pays for itself. I think they do it so they can get repeat business to repair worn front ends and tires/brakes and such. I find it handy because it is honored at all Firestones nationwide.