4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Honest opinions ASAP guys!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2001, 12:26 PM

Honest opinions ASAP guys!!!

As some of you might know, I'm looking into buying a Maxima. I wanted a 4th gen. but didn't want to spend more than 6,000. Anyways I'll get to the point. I need your HONEST opinions here...I found a 1995 Maxima SE, white, tan leather, all the goodies. Immaculate condition, perfect exterior and interior. One major problem...The miles....I know that 100K isn't much for a Maxima, but this one was 170K. I am wanting to know the following: How reliable are these motors really? I travel about 8,000 miles a year and need this for the next 4 years...so basically I'll be putting about 30000-35000 miles on it...As long as it is babied and oiled, do you think it'll need a motor/tranny? I know some normal wear will occur, but I am hoping nothing too major. He says hes never had any motor/tranny work done. Price: I can probably get him down to about 4500. What do you guys think? He said it drives like the day he bought it. I am planning on test driving it tonight. 1 owner vehicle. Any tips on what I should look for on a wearing motor/tranny? If he has records for oil changes/ect..I will probably go through with it. How about the price? I am leaving in an hour and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-21-2001, 12:32 PM
dot dot dot ...

Re: Honest opinions ASAP guys!!!

Originally posted by Rino1313
I wanted a 4th gen. but didn't want to spend more than 6,000. Anyways I'll get to the point. I need your HONEST opinions here...I found a 1995 Maxima SE, white, tan leather, all the goodies. Immaculate condition, perfect exterior and interior. One major problem...The miles....I know that 100K isn't much for a Maxima, but this one was 170K.
Rob
That's a lot of miles so if I were you, I'd wait til something else came along with less miles. If it's auto, then the tranny is prolly ready to go, though the engine is a jewel, water pumps and stuff like that usually go out around that time.

I just saw a 96 last week with only 36K mile son it. Look harder, you'll find what you want
Old 12-21-2001, 12:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rino1313
[B]As some of you might know, I'm looking into buying a Maxima. I wanted a 4th gen. but didn't want to spend more than 6,000. Anyways I'll get to the point. I need your HONEST opinions here...I found a 1995 Maxima SE, white, tan leather, all the goodies. Immaculate condition, perfect exterior and interior. One major problem...The miles....I know that 100K isn't much for a Maxima, but this one was 170K. I am wanting to know the following: How reliable are these motors really? I travel about 8,000 miles a year and need this for the next 4 years...so basically I'll be putting about 30000-35000 miles on it...As long as it is babied and oiled, do you think it'll need a motor/tranny? I know some normal wear will occur, but I am hoping nothing too major. He says hes never had any motor/tranny work done. Price: I can probably get him down to about 4500. What do you guys think? He said it drives like the day he bought it. I am planning on test driving it tonight. 1 owner vehicle. Any tips on what I should look for on a wearing motor/tranny? If he has records for oil changes/ect..I will probably go through with it. How about the price? I am leaving in an hour and any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could find a better deal on a 95...butttt not too much better...if u can pass up all the goodies you should be alright...the 170K aint the end of the world...replacin tranny and good rebuilt pumps could cost bout 2 grand but after u do that the car could go for 100K more...engine is golden...depends how long you want to keep it for....try an auction with high mileage cars...they are in the 130K range for cheap, 6 or 7g's with goodies
Old 12-21-2001, 12:53 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Honest opinions ASAP guys!!!

you might be able to find a gxe ( no goodies) with less miles for the same price. maybe even a 96-97
Old 12-21-2001, 12:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

I found, right after I found my auto a 96 GXE, sunroof, wing, 5SPD black, really nice with only 52K on it, and it was going for 7.5K
Old 12-21-2001, 04:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I looked for about a month before I found my 96SE, personally I would go for as low of mileage as possible. Low mileage cars are usually problem free cars, well one exception is my corvette.

Dallas
WarpSpeed Performance
Old 12-21-2001, 04:25 PM

If its a 5 speed that is an awesome price. My SE has 150k and the motor is in excellent condition. I have NOT seen maxima's go this low. If its in good condition (and a 5speed) I would not hestitate.

As some of you might know, I'm looking into buying a Maxima. I wanted a 4th gen. but didn't want to spend more than 6,000. Anyways I'll get to the point. I need your HONEST opinions here...I found a 1995 Maxima SE, white, tan leather, all the goodies. Immaculate condition, perfect exterior and interior. One major problem...The miles....I know that 100K isn't much for a Maxima, but this one was 170K. I am wanting to know the following: How reliable are these motors really? I travel about 8,000 miles a year and need this for the next 4 years...so basically I'll be putting about 30000-35000 miles on it...As long as it is babied and oiled, do you think it'll need a motor/tranny? I know some normal wear will occur, but I am hoping nothing too major. He says hes never had any motor/tranny work done. Price: I can probably get him down to about 4500. What do you guys think? He said it drives like the day he bought it. I am planning on test driving it tonight. 1 owner vehicle. Any tips on what I should look for on a wearing motor/tranny? If he has records for oil changes/ect..I will probably go through with it. How about the price? I am leaving in an hour and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 12-21-2001, 04:35 PM

I have 184,000 miles on my '95 SE 5-spd.

I replaced the clutch, battery, alternator, starter, and a couple power window regulators because I had to. I replaced lots of other components, too, because I wanted to. It still runs like a top, even after being run hard for 7 years. But then, I maintain the car very well. I see the car lasting another 100,000 miles or so, at which point, it'll be time for a viking funeral... Unless the upcoming nitrous installation sends it to an early grave.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:02 PM

GO FOR IT!!!

Rob,

I was in a similar situation a while ago when I bought my Maxima. It had 135K miles but looked amazing. The first time I passed it I turned around to look at the car. It was so beautiful. I checked it out and could find almost nothing wrong with the car aesthetically. I guy came out and told me a guy had just traded it in the day before. He then told me the car had all those miles and I almost walked but the he told me he was only asking $8000 so I reconsidered. I knew of the cars amazing reliability (and of course their amazing performance) and had been searching for a while for a 96 5-speed. Most of the cars were a few thousand more and could not look any better. I called up the guy who traded it in and he told me how great he took care of it so I jumped on it. I figured I would come out better in the end saving the 3 or 4 grand up front (I got the car for $7500). It still runs great and the only thing I have had to replace is an oxygen sensor. You can spend A LOT of money on repairs before you get up to what that car with less mileage would have cost. I used to have a 94 formula 6-speed and it was fast as hell but also unreliable (damn ignition got wet with only 40K miles-not my fault). The Max is not that far behind in performance and light years ahead in reliability. I say buy it, you will not find a better car for that amount, and have fun...they are a blast.

Daryl
Old 12-21-2001, 05:17 PM

don't do it!!!

that's too many miles! if it's an auto tranny, don't even consider it.

jhlee
Old 12-21-2001, 07:43 PM

So many opinions. I just sold out of my 1995 Trans Am. Not due to reliability, but because of the amount of trouble with the law. I held him off until tomorrow to take a look at it. A car dealer down the street has a 95 Max, dark blue, cloth interior, sunroof, and 120K and is asking 5000 cash...So I am considering this...although I do love the SE.
Rob
Old 12-21-2001, 07:57 PM

Man...

Florida's car dealers have a lot lower prices than in my area. I like the SE too...if you are planning any mods, however, many agree that a GXE is your best bet. I plan on keeping mine pretty much stock so I went with the SE. That other car does have a lot less miles...is that GXE a manual or an automatic.

So many opinions. I just sold out of my 1995 Trans Am. Not due to reliability, but because of the amount of trouble with the law. I held him off until tomorrow to take a look at it. A car dealer down the street has a 95 Max, dark blue, cloth interior, sunroof, and 120K and is asking 5000 cash...So I am considering this...although I do love the SE.
Rob
Old 12-21-2001, 10:30 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Re: Re: Honest opinions ASAP guys!!!

Originally posted by NickStam
you might be able to find a gxe ( no goodies) with less miles for the same price. maybe even a 96-97

yes, it's possible.

My friend is kind of looking around, he saw a few 95s with around 100k miles for 5.5-6k, but they were all GXEs. If you want options, you probably won't find anything with low miles and for that price. Considering the amount of miles you drive/need this car for.. I think you could go for something with under 150k miles and with options as well.
Sure these cars can go 200k miles + but this is if it was taken care of. THe problem with buying used cars is you don't really know how well it was treated or how and in which conditions it was driven...