4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maximas can't do donuts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:35 AM

Maximas can't do donuts.

Plain and simple. The roads today iced over and snowed over the ice so it was perfect time to go have fun in the snow on a parking low. And no matter how hard I tried or what I tried I just couldn't get the car to do a single donut.

Same goes for 180 deg turns.

I used to have a Sebring convertible and it had no problems doing either... Oh well.

At least with the right aim, a dab of the handbreak and a healthy application of gas throughout the corner a Maxima WILL drift through it.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7JQs...eature=related
Old 02-27-2011, 05:41 AM

It is hard to do a doughnut in a car where the Driven Wheels are also the same wheels that the car needs to steer and pivot around in the forward doughnut.

You CAN do a doughnut in a Maxima....but it is much, much easier in reverse as the driven/steering wheels and the wheels being pivoted around are different.

BUT as you can see in the above video....anyone willing to ruin their car can make anything happen.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Addicted to the Org

Originally Posted by 98MaximaDriver
I guess you gotta have that big wing in order to do that
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

come to my house lol ill do it on dry road
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM

really?? I didnt know that a FWD car cant do donuts....
Old 02-27-2011, 11:07 AM

WOW.

Where are all these morons coming from?
Old 02-27-2011, 03:05 PM

RE: Video ... wow talk about ruined tires! That is the reasons why I do these things only in the snow, and only in a parking lot. =), Don't need to rev over 2.5 - 3k and no tire smoke.

Never the less, stock engine is hard to do.... =\ As i mentioned I was able to do donuts with a FWD Sebring convertible. So far I can't been able to figure out why it was possible vs not possible on my maxima.
Boiling down to two things for now: Better tires on the maxima (traction), and the maxima is more nose heavy. (weight distribution)
Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 PM

i do 180deg turns in my maxima all the time when im making a uturn and on dry ground i may add ppl just dont know how to drive plain and simple the doughnut issue ive never tried and im not going to not worth buying new tires and probably new cv joints
Old 02-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by highonfumes
i do 180deg turns in my maxima all the time when im making a uturn and on dry ground i may add ppl just dont know how to drive plain and simple the doughnut issue ive never tried and im not going to not worth buying new tires and probably new cv joints
I disagree on the not knowing how to drive statement.
I would HIGHLY suggest to anyone when it's raining, or snowing to go to a nice empty parking lot, or to an empty street late int he evening and practice skidding their car in a turn, or making the rear slide in a sharp turn.

Because one day knowing how to handle the car when the tail steps out of line in a turn or when the car skids might mean the difference between keeping it on the road and ending up in a ditch.... or worse.

I speak from experience. Practicing drifts, skids, turns and so on saved my *** once when some idiot cut me off forcing me to sharply turn to avoid him, and then to sharply turn back to avoid going on to oncoming traffic which lead to my car's rear end fishtailing like crazy. All of this on a highway. At around 60+mph speed. But because I had practiced all this "stupid" stuff in the snow... I was all right.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 PM

If you wanna do donuts i think you gone done bought the wrong nissan.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM

Man/ I wouldnt do donuts in my max.. In none of my max's have i done donuts come to think of it!

But if i wanted to do donuts i would want to do it with tires screaming & lots of smoke ...! I used to have this 67 cougar about 12-13 years ago that just made you want to burn rubber every time you drove it so im a lil biased!

Anyway in my neck of the woods they will just take over the freeway if they want and sideshow on the spot!

DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS! lulz

Just take it to the track ... keep it of the freeways and the parking lots!!!!

Last edited by 98MaximaDriver; 02-27-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by silencecalls
I disagree on the not knowing how to drive statement.
I would HIGHLY suggest to anyone when it's raining, or snowing to go to a nice empty parking lot, or to an empty street late int he evening and practice skidding their car in a turn, or making the rear slide in a sharp turn.

Because one day knowing how to handle the car when the tail steps out of line in a turn or when the car skids might mean the difference between keeping it on the road and ending up in a ditch.... or worse.

I speak from experience. Practicing drifts, skids, turns and so on saved my *** once when some idiot cut me off forcing me to sharply turn to avoid him, and then to sharply turn back to avoid going on to oncoming traffic which lead to my car's rear end fishtailing like crazy. All of this on a highway. At around 60+mph speed. But because I had practiced all this "stupid" stuff in the
snow... I was all right.
I completely agree with this statement because I live in Jersey and when it comes to dumb *** drivers. They run rampent out here. I kno I too have been put into situations where people have done something stupid in front of me where I've had to take "evasive action" to save myself and my car. So as long as your not out doing it where you could harm yourself or someone elses property, do you. Because the better you can handle your car the more preparred you'll be if something happens.. It like insurance.. You have it and sometimes may never need it, but when u need it your glad you have it!!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:38 AM

steal some trays form burger king. youll do donuts
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM

don't do doughnuts it attracts cops they love doughnuts, lol I know dumb joke just couldn't resist.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
WOW.

If you want to do donuts keep your fu*king sebring..........
Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 98MaximaDriver
Anyway in my neck of the woods they will just take over the freeway if they want and sideshow on the spot!

DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS! lulz
man i was hoping a semitruck or two would just plow through all of those idiots. that wouldve been the perfect time.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
WOW.

Seriously, what is with this influx of brain-dead idiots buying Maximas lately? We have twin-loop mufflers and Honda intakes in the 5th gen section and now ****heads trying to do donuts in the 4th gen section?

Want to know why you can't do a donut? IT'S A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CAR.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Apperantly somebody needs to define the term 'donuts.' Doing proper proper donuts would require the front end of the car to remain fairly stationary while the rear end does donuts around it. Or better yet, the whole car traveling in circles with the front wheels counter locked. (If you don't know what counter locked means you should not be allowed to speak of anything automotive!) Either way this is IMPOSSIBLE to do in a front wheel drive car, even your magnificent chrysler!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 PM

FYI: Dragging the a$$ of your car around in circles is not doing donuts. Thats what a dog does when he has worms.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima
Seriously, what is with this influx of brain-dead idiots buying Maximas lately? We have twin-loop mufflers and Honda intakes in the 5th gen section and now ****heads trying to do donuts in the 4th gen section?

best response EVER

pulling the ebrake and sliding around doesnt count as doing donuts.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM

100% agreed with Tigersharkdude
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM

... I see nothing constructive in this thread.

Sliding around in the snow can help improve your winter driving.

There, thats productive.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 PM

Maximas turn?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM

Wont be trying this out and pretty wild videos my friend used to live near the Bay Area he hated it with all the ghost ride the whip and the Hiffy thing going on....
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Wont be trying this out and pretty wild videos my friend used to live near the Bay Area he hated it with all the ghost ride the whip and the Hiffy thing going on....
"hyphy" yes its not the same mob muzik that the Bay is known for.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2000_MAXIMA_KING
Maximas turn?
News to me...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
News to me...
Me too WTF
Old 02-28-2011, 10:17 PM

donuts are for cops...

no offense to any cops on here (if there are any)
Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
donuts are for cops...

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Old 02-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
donuts are for cops...
This made me ...I got a ticket in high school for doing donuts in the parking lot after school. (empty lot) My sister came up to me when she saw the cop giving me a ticket and said "but I thought cops liked donuts?"
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 AM

You gotta be kidding me. Shutting down the highway just to do donuts? Bunch of immature little ricers.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:20 AM

Old 03-01-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by tigersharkdude
best response EVER

pulling the ebrake and sliding around doesnt count as doing donuts.
+1

This is the real problem with this thread. PPl are defining donuts different.

U cant do donuts with a FWD car. Period.

But u CAN tailspin like a ***** with a max.

Case in point, last wk my tail spun out on a turn when it was raining. Luckily no one else was on the road with me at the time.

Thats why i want to lower my car, drop the center of gravity a bit and take corners better.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Waxima

In other news, I am going to be installing a VICTORY exhaust on my car this weekend.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:25 PM

.... Define donut? A 360? If so, I've done it many times in succession for Gymkhana.... It's very easy to get the back end out with our rear suspension, especially if there is a little precipitation, it's all about shifting the weight just right and yanking the e-brake at the right moment, too early and you'll under-steer, too late and you'll just slide away from the center.

Personally I don't think a donut is much more than that... A 360 around a midpoint exiting and entering from the same spot.

Now if you're one of those people who think that a donut is a car spinning around a circle multiple times, wouldn't that just be doing donuts? So doing a donut multiple times in sucession? Possible, I've only managed to do up to twice in succession before coming to a stop or just driver error (It would look more like an ellipse for the 2nd one... well from my experience, instead of a donut, like a planet's orbit, fwd has its limitations), but the braking and acceleration get more an more complicated for the second one. Not to be confused w/ figure 8s, again which are not that hard with these solid rear axles not keeping the rear tires on the ground very well, I often 3 wheel through these suckers (Never really feel it, just get told after the fact "HOLY **** DUDE YOU JUST 3 WHEELED YOUR CAR").

So you were in the ice/wet ground and could not get the car to do a 360? Driver error my friend, I've done it in all the cars in our house hold (during the big houston freeze a few weeks ago for lolz) which are all fwd (Mine, 08 Accord Independent rear, 02 Diamante very very loose small sway bar'd indy rear also), very very easy.

In the middle of a figure 8... That moment when the E-Brake gets yanked, the back end is already coming out, just need to get a little more help to get the car turned the last 70* or so

I've explained the trunk in a previous post, don't feel like explainin it again

//edit, for the smart@$$'s, my rear end is stock and so are the struts.

Last edited by aackshun; 03-01-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Reverse donuts all day but they are responsible for ripping out the wiring for my subwoofer lol.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Can mods please just start banning all these ricer retards who keep making stupid useless threads the org is fuking full of them now
Old 03-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Huzzah! I started a flaming thread. Now i'm going to go off topic and talk for a second how about half the people just turn their brains off and don't think beyond the obvious.

This thread was never about going out and spinning in circles because it's "cooL" or "FuN" or how it isn't because it can't be done.

It's primary goal was an inquiry in the handling capabilities of our particular model of a car. aackshun for example was one of those that contributed in a constructive way that shed some light on the issue. Primarily that in this case it's not necessarily the car but possibly lack of skill

Re: cashoit Yes, getting the tail out is not hard, while it _is_ harder to drift a FWD around a corner then a RWD a right hit on the handbrake can induce enough oversteer to counter the understeer. My main concern so far was getting the car to do at least a 180.

For some reason no matter what I tried the car would not rotate past 90 deg and would just slide sideways no matter which way the wheels pointed (in neutral, so they were free spinning)

P.S. Ricer: (1) A person who makes unecessary modifications to their most often import car (hence the term "rice") to make it (mostly make it look) faster. The most common modifications are (but not limited to):etc....
(2) Any oriental import car that has been modified for no real performance gain.

As such I resent being called a ricer. I strive to be the opposite. To make my car as stock as possible on the outside, preferring to do any and all mods on the powertrain/suspension to make my car a better driving machine within a reasonable budget. Though I'm not against stroking and SCing the engine. a VQ32DE with a SC would be a sight. =)

Quick Reply: Maximas can't do donuts.