4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

where I can go to get my headlights reaimed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2000, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just installed the '97- headlights. I noticed the passenger side headlight seem to be aimed higher than the driver side one. Can I bring my car to the dealer to fix this? I don't want to be pulled over because I'm blinding people with my higher aimed headlights. Btw, I also got the APC bulbs; very bright!

A side note, should I also get the 97- corner lights? It just seem that my new '97- headlights don't match up with the '96 corner lights.
Old 11-08-2000, 09:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can reaim it yourself! Just look in the back of the headlights. There are two adjusting ***** on each lamp. up/down and left/right. Just find a wall. Turn on the lights.. And adjust. Your passenger beam is supposed to be higher. It helps you see further and read signs. The driver beam is lower so you don't blind people.

ZuM
Old 11-08-2000, 09:45 PM

Cool that somebody else has done it too,

finally,now you can have the job of telling everybody that it works.About were to take your car to get it aimed properly,I recomend you take it to a wall and do it your self it's real easy to do,the two long black things that stick out and have a phillips head tip,just twist them either clockwise or counter clockwise until you achieve the desired beam pattern.I never heard that 97 cornor lights are different are you possitive?My headlights matched up fine with my cornors.
Old 11-08-2000, 09:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I believe is a hex key. Not a phillips head. At least on my car.

ZuM
Old 11-08-2000, 10:34 PM

So, the two long black thing behind the headlights are for aiming? And I thought they were for tighting up the headlights to make a better fit. No wonder my headlights were aimed definitely because I messed with the two black thing. I use a socket wrench to adjust the those things. So the passenger side is suppose to be aimed higher than the driver side? If that is the case, then I don't have to reaim anything.
Old 11-09-2000, 05:05 AM

Headlamp aiming >>

Originally posted by Cumalot
So, the two long black thing behind the headlights are for aiming? And I thought they were for tighting up the headlights to make a better fit. No wonder my headlights were aimed definitely because I messed with the two black thing. I use a socket wrench to adjust the those things. So the passenger side is suppose to be aimed higher than the driver side? If that is the case, then I don't have to reaim anything.
Ok...the adjustment bolt closer to the parking/corner lights (outboard of the vehicle) is for the up/down aiming of the headlamp. The one further inboard is to control the right/left aiming of the lamp. You'll need a 10mm wrench to perform the aiming task.

To do the height adjustment, park your car so that the headlamp lens faces are about 25 feet from a wall. This wall should be perpendicular to the ground and level in all aspects. Measure the distance from the center of your headlamps to the ground. Mark this dimension on the wall. From this mark, move down 3.75" to 4" and make another mark. Begin to turn the adjustment bolt so that the centers of your low beam patterns land on that second mark that you made. As for your right to left adjustment, mark the centers vertically and aim so that they point straight out. Bear in mind that sometimes adjusting the right/left bolt can change the setting of the height adjustment slightly.

By the way, the foglamps can be aimed the same way.