4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drivers side drive axle automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 AM

Drivers side drive axle automatic

Any advice tryin to get this puppy out? I got it pretty far out of the trans from prying but it doesnt want to budge that last quarter of an inch, the circlips gotta be really stuck or hung up on something. I even tried taking out the passenger side axle so I could use a long screwdriver to try to punch the drivers side axle out but I don't have a screwdriver or punch long and narrow enough to get past the pinion shaft thats in the differential cage. According to the haynes manual its impossible to pry it out with the automatic and that you have to remove the passenger side and go thru the diff because of the way its shaped.

I don't remember the driver side axle on my five speed giving me this much of a hard time, I only had to wrestle with that thing for 20 minutes tops. This one of the automatic really does not want to come out. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBlackMax
Any advice tryin to get this puppy out? I got it pretty far out of the trans from prying but it doesnt want to budge that last quarter of an inch, the circlips gotta be really stuck or hung up on something. I even tried taking out the passenger side axle so I could use a long screwdriver to try to punch the drivers side axle out but I don't have a screwdriver or punch long and narrow enough to get past the pinion shaft thats in the differential cage. According to the haynes manual its impossible to pry it out with the automatic and that you have to remove the passenger side and go thru the diff because of the way its shaped.

I don't remember the driver side axle on my five speed giving me this much of a hard time, I only had to wrestle with that thing for 20 minutes tops. This one of the automatic really does not want to come out. Any help or tips would be appreciated.
This inner CV expands and collapses, IIRC. I believe I've used the middle part of the shaft as a slide hammer to get the axle out before.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
This inner CV expands and collapses, IIRC. I believe I've used the middle part of the shaft as a slide hammer to get the axle out before.
I actually ripped the boot right in half doing that when I was parting out my old five speed and im trying to reuse this drive axle only reason im pulling it is cause the stupid seal is leaking
Old 03-25-2011, 08:46 AM

That is true. I guess those boots can get brittle over time. Luckily that didn't happen to me.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM

Well I finally got it out, a little helpful hint for anyone struggling with this, an appropriately sized piece of wood hammer wedged along with a two foot wrecking bar will give you somewhat of a surface to pry against, I had all my weight braced against it (I weigh like 190) and the jackstand. I talked to a master tech and all he said was "keep prying", not very helpful