4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pl0x Halp Me - Find the Alternator Ground

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Pl0x Halp Me - Find the Alternator Ground

Plz Help Me Find the Alternator Ground

PLEASE respond only to the first or last paragraph if you can not ENSURE your answer is 100% correct. I am not looking for encouragement, I am looking for confirmation. (TY and sorry if that is rude to say.)

I have three questions I need some clarification on. Also I will use the FSM definitions to ensure clarity. (My father is 73 and we had quite the [“lively”] discussion due to different terms for the same parts Old school technical engineer meets modern electrical engineer. Saying we butt heads is an understatement. (We are both pretty stubborn too! lolol) That said....

Here is the story: I replaced the alternator with a JY alt. Since the 'new' part was so gummed up with oily dirt I pulled it apart and cleaned it. In doing so I noticed that the slip ring was badly grooved so I cut it level with [manual labor +] emery cloth. I put it back together, and moved to the installation process. My retarded self, in a hurry, neglected to disconnect the battery and shorted out the positive alternator charging wire to earth ground (blowing the 140A batter fusible link). So when I went to test it I could not ensure that I was reading the circuit correctly. Even measuring directly off the alternator terminal E to alternator terminal B I would assume the reading of “0 VDC” to be accurate since I do not have positive supply to the IC/diode assembly. I got frustrated over the whole thing and wanted to clear my head of questions. I went to check the diagram in the craptasticly vague FSM and ended up with 3 more questions...

I am looking at page EL-36, EL-37, EL-314, and EL-315 of the 1997 FSM.

Questions:
1a) Is the diagram on page 37 showing a 'stacked' connector between alternator ground (terminal E) and earth/body ground (connector E37)? What I mean by stacked is that there is more than 1 physical connection between the actual internal terminal and the external (secondary) connector. IE stator wire, to alternator body, to bolt, to bracket, to ground connector.
1b) If so, it is fair to assume the stator is grounded through the alternator body/case; correct?

2) On page 314 there is a large diagram showing “ENGINE ROOM HARNESS.” With the manual facing as a book (not the orientation of the picture), on the lower right hand side there is a magnification picture. This smaller picture does NOT correlate to larger picture, the diagram on 37, the connector list on 315, or my actual engine bay. So to clarify... E47 in that smaller picture should read E37, and E37 should read E30; correct?

3) E37 is the alternator ground to body ground correct (page EL-37)? This is the connector that hooks on to the bracket, bracket to the alternator top bolt, top bolt to alternator body... correct?

The manuals at work are crap too. The bias conclusion that I have come to is that the manufacturers write them in this manner to encourage you to spend your money at the service department. I say that as the documentation they have at the stealership is infinitely better.

TY for your time!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM

Nonr of the windings directly attach to the body of the alt. Your stator, whether its a delta or Y type is gonna be connected to the three terminals on the rectifier bridge. The armature is gonna be connected to the batt + and ground through the regulator. Or I could be wrong about the regulator controlling ground. I'll try to look at the FSM tonight.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:12 PM

Just looked and E37 is a rough depiction of nuts on a stud. The shown wire has a ring terminal attached to it.