4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauge Mounting questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 07:18 AM

Gauge Mounting questions

Hi guys

I was wondering if you guys had any alternatives for mounting some gauges - EGT, FP and A/F. I do not want to use the A pillar. I have seen a neat alternative in a glove box, but I like to keep my glove box. I have even seen them placed under an OEM stereo (non bose), but I want to keep my bose. I am still looking around my car for a place to put them. I have not bought any pods yet...that depends on where I mount.
Old 12-23-2001, 07:29 AM
Administrator

i tried vents.. and i ended up with A-Pillar..

i already argued with Erik (Glove Box Man) about his mount.. reasons i don't like the glove box mount..

Gauge in Plain View

while running a 100 shot with no Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator.. i used the wrong fuel jet and my Fuel Pressure was up to 100 PSI.. now if i had my gauges in the box.. i wouldn't have been able to monitor this..and probably blow an injector or something..
Erik says he has warning lights.. but what good is the lights if you don't see the gauge to see what went wrong.. ok so your light went off.. are you going to lean over to the glove box to see if your pressure was too high or too low?

I like my gauges where i can see them.. at all times.. even if things are running right.. i can still look up and see my pressure and know what is going on..

Lack of Glove Box Space

so i don't feel like putting my documents in the center console.. a cop pulls me over.. he is use to me opening the glove box.. because they can see whats in it from the window.. they can't see what is in the center console.. and the min you start going in there their trust breaks.. and they might think you are going for a gun.. now its up to him to shoot you... call for backup.. or let the situation pan out.. i am not waiting around to find out.. and what if i want to add a little 6 disc changer? can't put it in the center console..

now onto Din Gauges..

Din Gauges

I love Din Gauges.. they look sleek and sharp.. however.. you are still looking down and taking your eyes off the road to monitor your gauges.. when running Nitrous.. i like to see my gauges in plain view at all times.. i am a little paranoid.. as i should be running 100 shot.. if i were using DIN gauges.. i would put non-esential stuff in there.. not Boost, or EGT, or FP..

now onto ODO Console Gauges..

ODO Console Gauges

if the maxima had this option i would take it over the gauge pod.. its stealth and you can see them in plain view.. but autometer hasn't come out with them yet.. so that sucks..

so in conclusion i like A Pillar best.. it ither makes the rice boys fear you.. or try to race you.. and that can be loads of fun ..

you did say gauges.. so i won't get into the whole switches in the glove box ither..
Old 12-23-2001, 08:42 AM

Sprintmax!!

Thanks for the advice! I think I will go with the pillar mount one then. I haven't looked too closely at pillar mounts. Are they bolt-ons to the pillar trim or replace trim altogether?

Did you paint yours to match interior or ordered colour?

Thanks

Nigel
Old 12-23-2001, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can always go below a single DIN radio like I did.(it is all custom) Sure I can't read the exact numbers while racing, but I can stay aware of the location of the needles so I know when I'm in danger.
Old 12-23-2001, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by nigelcmf
Sprintmax!!

Thanks for the advice! I think I will go with the pillar mount one then. I haven't looked too closely at pillar mounts. Are they bolt-ons to the pillar trim or replace trim altogether?

Did you paint yours to match interior or ordered colour?

Thanks

Nigel
well i have black int.. and the one i got was black.. so it looks great.. its a piece of plastic held on to the stock a pillar with 4 clips.. did a little drilling and stuff.. but i am please how it turned out..
Old 12-23-2001, 10:12 AM

Just to add...they only make dual gauge pods for our cars. I had to sue a dual pod for a 300zx since they didnt have the Maxima pods then. They now have teh Maxima pods. I also know it was on backorder for some time but now it should be all good. Nigel, did i send you the pics of my gauges?
Old 12-23-2001, 12:00 PM

Everyone...

Thanks a lot for your advice!

Synki, I did get your pic. Thanks a lot! I am not keen on A pillar design, but seems to be the only solution for visibility for me. I want to keep my dual din Bose even though I do like that single DIN design.

It's a shame they only do dual pod and not triple in the A pillar design.

Thanks guys!

Nigel