4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

High idle and more...much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 06:01 PM

High idle and more...much more.

I probably caused most of this but I am tired of it and would like to recruit some help. So like a month ago I go the egr low/high flow code. Anyways I tried to dig into it without causing to many problems, long story short I ended up taking everything off from the upper plenum to the air box and cleaning it to include the egr guide tube that plugs into the upper intake. I was excited but my car developed this retarded hig idle with minimal surge. And I figured I probably didn't reassemble something correctly and have some sort of leak or I broke something. Then later I got this 1008 code, for that metal and bronze thing on top of the upper plenum. Replaced it with a junk yard black plastic one that might not be good as well. And just scored the jackpot code 0111. Basically saying my whole evap system is fubar. Anyways making some adjustments I am pretty much stable at 900 To 1100 Rpms. And once in a while after the car is already warmed up I'll start it and until I start driving it it will idle normal, this seldom occurs though. All help appreciated, and let me know any extra info you might need to fill in the gaps.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:17 AM

Having a maxima issue can make you feel alone, so very alone.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by HiMi5SPD
I probably caused most of this but I am tired of it and would like to recruit some help. So like a month ago I go the egr low/high flow code. Anyways I tried to dig into it without causing to many problems, long story short I ended up taking everything off from the upper plenum to the air box and cleaning it to include the egr guide tube that plugs into the upper intake. I was excited but my car developed this retarded hig idle with minimal surge. And I figured I probably didn't reassemble something correctly and have some sort of leak or I broke something. Then later I got this 1008 code, for that metal and bronze thing on top of the upper plenum. Replaced it with a junk yard black plastic one that might not be good as well. And just scored the jackpot code 0111. Basically saying my whole evap system is fubar. Anyways making some adjustments I am pretty much stable at 900 To 1100 Rpms. And once in a while after the car is already warmed up I'll start it and until I start driving it it will idle normal, this seldom occurs though. All help appreciated, and let me know any extra info you might need to fill in the gaps.
Yo man, EGR is always a PITA to trace. Its almost as bad as electrical issues. That being sd, i am a big proponent of using chevron techron to maintain EGR system and internal components. If u use the techron regularly, your EGR system should never get to the point where u need to manually clean it. THe techron is great at cleaning carbon deposits. Seafoam too.

However, you have already cleaned EGR manually. This isnt a real invlved process but there are places where u can screw up. Sometimes u can reuse the gaskets, but if u didnt use some sort of RTV, u can develope vaccum leaks. Make sure the accelerator cable is adjusted properly too. Check Throttle position sensor and IACV. If the car isnt surging and buckling, i dont think its MAF. Make sure throttle plate is completely closed.

EGR shouldnt cause high idle. Either TPS is screwed, IACV isnt working properly, accelerator cable out of spec, or throttle body plate not closing completely.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

did you follow this?
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...g-dummies.html
Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 AM

I've had the same problem sometimes on startups weather cold or warm my idle is like at 2k. Doesn't happen always just sometimes.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM

im having the same problem. here is a video. i just cleaned the maf, iavc, and tb. in the video i go through P,R,N,D. and then at the end its in parked and the rpm needle is going up and down
[IMG]View My Video[/IMG]
Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 PM

did u clean the tube that connects from intake piping to the IACV. HAve u tested IACV per FSM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SDB318
im having the same problem. here is a video. i just cleaned the maf, iavc, and tb. in the video i go through P,R,N,D. and then at the end its in parked and the rpm needle is going up and down
[IMG]View My Video[/IMG]
that's generally caused by a vacuum leak. check your vacuum lines. while you're at it, take it to autozone and find out why your SES light is on.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:29 AM

My IACV is pretty new, but like you said I didn't replace the gasket worth a look. But one thing you said that caught my attention was " is the throttle plate all the way closed"? After I cleaned the throttle body I did notice where there used to be crap I could see a lot more daylight than I expected. I was worried about this until I checked to one at the junk yard and it seemed similar. So is it really supposed to close flush? And if so what could be holding it back? The only thing I haven't tampered with in that region is that little coolant cylinder thing but it seemed pretty immovable when I gave it a little of my attention. IDK what do yall think?
Old 04-21-2011, 05:53 AM

My IACV is pretty new, but like you said I didn't replace the gasket worth a look. But one thing you said that caught my attention was " is the throttle plate all the way closed"? After I cleaned the throttle body I did notice where there used to be crap I could see a lot more daylight than I expected. I was worried about this until I checked to one at the junk yard and it seemed similar. So is it really supposed to close flush? And if so what could be holding it back? The only thing I haven't tampered with in that region is that little coolant cylinder thing but it seemed pretty immovable when I gave it a little of my attention. IDK what do yall think?
Hold on man...dont mess with that coolant line! THe throttle plate is supposed to close completely. IF its not then it will cause a high idle. U have to adjust the accelerator cable so that its completely closed. I think u shd have replaced gaskets. u can buy univeral gasket and cut the right shape
Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 AM

So what else besides the throttle cable could keep it from closing all the way with no light coming through? There is nothing I can think of that is holding it up.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM

Alright so the throttle cable was keeping it from closeing a little bit so I thought I had fixed it. Sun went down,temp went down, idle went up. If I sit still long enough to accumulate heat she idles down but if it's cool outside forget it. Please please please why is outside temp affecting my idle by as much as 500 Revs?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Alright so the throttle cable was keeping it from closeing a little bit so I thought I had fixed it. Sun went down,temp went down, idle went up. If I sit still long enough to accumulate heat she idles down but if it's cool outside forget it. Please please please why is outside temp affecting my idle by as much as 500 Revs?
Swap out IAT, and ECTS. those the only sensors to do wit temp. either that or your MAF is acting up.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't swap anything just yet!

JUST HAD THIS PROBLEM. Thry this first:

1) locate your throttle position sensor
2) locate the two phillips head screws securing it to the TB
3) SLIGHTLY loosen them
4) turn the TPS assembly towards you (away from manifold)

If this solves your idle problem, go ahead and adjust it more (or less) to achieve proper idle and re-torque the two phillips screws.

Let me know if this helps!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Im sure the OP has figured out his problem since this was posted
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 PM

lol