4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Very odd steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Very odd steering issue

I have 18x8.5 rims and i know that the roaods tend to steer my car. But this was a problem before i had my rims on. I have a 96 5spd, and when i get on it even a little, like to get on a highway, and as soon as i let go of the gas or change gears, the car jerks to the right a little and the steering wheel jerks left. Im not sure if this has something to do with bad tie rods or anything, but i know its not the alignment bc it will drive straight and shakeless at most any speed. besides the new rims. its just annoying to have to be ready to let the wheel jerk left everytime i let go of the gas. if i hold the wheel the car just turns. any ideas??
Old 04-21-2011, 07:50 PM

It might be your control arm bushing.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Just because the cars drives straight doesn't mean it's front end is set up correctly. Obviously you've got a problem. It could be bad bushings, ball joints, tie road ends, or incorrectly set toe, rack mount bushings ect.....

If your not able to really get in there to check everything, drop the car off at an alignment shop, tell them what's happening and have them check the front end. I'm sure you'll get a nice list back from them.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM

dont have a lot of time for that with work and all. im sure it could be answered by droping it off i just wanna try and narrow it down.

bump for help!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can bump this thread all day long, but unless you get under the car and physically look at the items that were suggested to you, or have a shop look at it, your issue will remain.

It could be bad bushings, ball joints, tie road ends, or incorrectly set toe, rack mount bushings ect.....
Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
You can bump this thread all day long, but unless you get under the car and physically look at the items that were suggested to you, or have a shop look at it, your issue will remain.
well u can write good absolute nothings just to get more posts on the org but thats not helping either.. Also i dont know howt to tell when most of those thigns are bad bc i dont know what im looking at, and hence the no time to let it sit at a garage as i work 6 days a week, im looking for someone with maybe a similar problem who may have had an answer..

i know my tie rods are shredded but besides that i woukdnt know what else could be the problem. does this sound like a problem for just really bad tie rods?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Usually when tie rods go bad, you will notice slop in the steering. It won't respond like you would want it to. I couldn't see tie rods causing a jerking motion every time you let of the gas.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM

Njmax told you what the probs could be. There is no single definitive answer and no one here has a Chrystal ball. If you don't have the knowledge, take it to a shop. You cannot be cheap AND lazy, pick one. Being a smart *** isn't helping your cause.

Put your car on Jack sands ans shake the front end. Place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the tires to check slop on the tie rods.
Try to push pull the tire out at the bottom to check ball joints.
With the car on the ground and the parking brake on, have someone shift from forward to reverse while you watch for tire movement. This will tell you if your lca bushings are bad.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by asand1
Njmax told you what the probs could be. There is no single definitive answer and no one here has a Chrystal ball. If you don't have the knowledge, take it to a shop. You cannot be cheap AND lazy, pick one. Being a smart *** isn't helping your cause.

Put your car on Jack sands ans shake the front end. Place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the tires to check slop on the tie rods.
Try to push pull the tire out at the bottom to check ball joints.
With the car on the ground and the parking brake on, have someone shift from forward to reverse while you watch for tire movement. This will tell you if your lca bushings are bad.
im not lazy or being a smartass. see the second part of your post? thats what im looking for, not for people to be smartasses to me for no reason. i will try those things, but honestly, you think i posted this thread to get people to just write put it in a shop? i wanna test it and see if i can figure out whats wrong so my car doesnt sit at a shop for days when i get one day off at a time.. i realize what he said it could be, but until this last post i only knew of looking for problems not testing. so thank you. i will try these.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by kiecas17
Usually when tie rods go bad, you will notice slop in the steering. It won't respond like you would want it to. I couldn't see tie rods causing a jerking motion every time you let of the gas.
yea thats what i though, i know i will need new tire rods soon but i didnt think that would cause a jerking motion either. I wanna try to narrow it down so i dont just buy new tie rods and still have the same problem..
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo95Max
yea thats what i though, i know i will need new tire rods soon but i didnt think that would cause a jerking motion either. I wanna try to narrow it down so i dont just buy new tie rods and still have the same problem..
Depending on the offset/backspacing of your 8.5" rims, bad tierods could cause a jerk. acceleration woulc cause toe-in and a jerk as the slack in the joint comes up solid. Decleration would result in tow-out. The steering wheel might mjove to one side, however the car should not pull to one side because the wheels would end up with equal toe and be even.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Depending on the offset/backspacing of your 8.5" rims, bad tierods could cause a jerk. acceleration woulc cause toe-in and a jerk as the slack in the joint comes up solid. Decleration would result in tow-out. The steering wheel might mjove to one side, however the car should not pull to one side because the wheels would end up with equal toe and be even.
that actually makes perfect sense.. it may just be worse on one side than the other i would assume..
Old 08-18-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo95Max
I have 18x8.5 rims and i know that the roaods tend to steer my car. But this was a problem before i had my rims on. I have a 96 5spd, and when i get on it even a little, like to get on a highway, and as soon as i let go of the gas or change gears, the car jerks to the right a little and the steering wheel jerks left. Im not sure if this has something to do with bad tie rods or anything, but i know its not the alignment bc it will drive straight and shakeless at most any speed. besides the new rims. its just annoying to have to be ready to let the wheel jerk left everytime i let go of the gas. if i hold the wheel the car just turns. any ideas??
I'm having this exact same issue. What did your problem end up being?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:28 AM

-Engine Mounts
-Control Arm Bushings
-Worn Strut/Sagging Spring

Check in that order, I can't imagine tie rods to steer the car while under acceleration/shifting/decelleration... Things that usually make an ENGINE move... Since the steering rack is mounted separately from them I would not focus too much attention there....

Last edited by aackshun; 08-18-2011 at 06:35 AM.