4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Heater core removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Heater core removal

I was searching for posts...

Few people said u can remove heater core without taking dash out?

How??

98 maxima gle auto

Thanks

Last edited by jamiebooth; 04-30-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:43 PM

Why don't you try flushing it out?
Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bumping this because I would like to know if its true. Searched and seemed like you can remove the glove box and do it from there.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:23 AM

The part you can remove behind the glove box is the a/c evaporator core, not the heater core. The heater core is in the center of the firewall in that white plastic box, behind the radio except a little higher up than the radio is.

I've taken my dash out and looking at it with the dashboard out, I don't see how you could remove the heater core without removing the dash.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:28 AM

You do need to remove the dash to get to the heater core. Anything other kind of attempt is just a PITA.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 AM

I am pretty sure there is a shortcut to doing it. I have heard that a mechanic doesn't remove the entire dash to replace it. I haven't asked the man personally but I figured someone on here would have found a way.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM

I guess ill give it a try, was just looking for a definite answer before trying to do it through the glove box
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM

Looked into this some by pulling some stuff apart and don't see its possible to do without pulling the dash. Can pull the evaporator core by removing the glovebox but not the heater core which is located more behind the center of the dash.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Here is a 'pull the dashboard' thread with pictures. Maybe it will help.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...dashboard.html
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Actually you can remove the core without removing the dash, done it twice. Both the glove box and evaporator cooling unit. Then you'll have access to the heater unit. The ac evaporator is inside the cooling unit and to remove it you have to remove the whole enclosure. The heater core, unlike the evaporator, is NOT a part of the heater unit. It slides in at an angle. To remove the core you'll have to disconnect the hoses from the engine compartment. have a shop vac handy to suck any remaining antifreez out of the core. If you dont, when you go to the next step you'll end up with a wet floor. Then from inside the car there will be 8 small screws to remove, 4 per hose connector thats connected to the heater core itself. Remove the hose connectors and slide the core out.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by MAXC
Actually you can remove the core without removing the dash, done it twice. Both the glove box and evaporator cooling unit. Then you'll have access to the heater unit. The ac evaporator is inside the cooling unit and to remove it you have to remove the whole enclosure. The heater core, unlike the evaporator, is NOT a part of the heater unit. It slides in at an angle. To remove the core you'll have to disconnect the hoses from the engine compartment. have a shop vac handy to suck any remaining antifreez out of the core. If you dont, when you go to the next step you'll end up with a wet floor. Then from inside the car there will be 8 small screws to remove, 4 per hose connector thats connected to the heater core itself. Remove the hose connectors and slide the core out.
I doubt they want to dump the refrigerant charge in the AC system just to gain access to the heater core. Removing the dash is still easier, quicker, and cheaper.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
I doubt they want to dump the refrigerant charge in the AC system just to gain access to the heater core. Removing the dash is still easier, quicker, and cheaper.
Nope. You cant get the core out without removing the cooling box

Last edited by MAXC; 02-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Hmm thats interesting to know, I'll just go for it though the glove box then. How did it take to do?
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46 AM

I just finished this job yesterday after splitting two days. Major PITA!!! If yoou don't change your antifreeze every 3 years, you had better start now to avoid this job. You will regret it!

Nope. You cant get the core out without removing the cooling box
^This is a true statement but entire dash must be removed. You have to slacken the box and jiggle it a little out of the way but freon does not need to be removed. Very involved process take it from me and don't get yourself in this predicament. I only did this because I bought the car with this problem.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
I just finished this job yesterday after splitting two days. Major PITA!!! If yoou don't change your antifreeze every 3 years, you had better start now to avoid this job. You will regret it!

^This is a true statement but entire dash must be removed. You have to slacken the box and jiggle it a little out of the way but freon does not need to be removed. Very involved process take it from me and don't get yourself in this predicament. I only did this because I bought the car with this problem.
Two ways here. You can remove the dash, loosen the cooling box to remove the heater core. Time wise 4-5 or for some people 6 to 8 hours. Or you can remove the glove box, discharge the freon, remove the cooling box and remove the heater core in about 2 or 3 hours. I just finished a heater core on a 99 Monday. Car was dropped off with me at 4:15pm. I let it cool down so I started on it around 6:30ish. She picked her car up at 9pm. Either way its some work. But ive done it so many times so it doesn't bother me much.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM

Two ways here. You can remove the dash, loosen the cooling box to remove the heater core. Time wise 4-5 or for some people 6 to 8 hours. Or you can remove the glove box, discharge the freon, remove the cooling box and remove the heater core in about 2 or 3 hours. I just finished a heater core on a 99 Monday. Car was dropped off with me at 4:15pm. I let it cool down so I started on it around 6:30ish. She picked her car up at 9pm. Either way its some work. But ive done it so many times so it doesn't bother me much.
So let me ask you this, when you get to the heater core, do you break off the plastic tab holding it in place with the one screw?
Old 04-08-2022, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question regarding your post.

I got a 2001 Nissan Maxima 20th anniversary edition and the heater core needs to be replaced. Your saying the dash doesn’t need to be removed? Where u from?