4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

R32 vs R34 kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:49 PM

R32 vs R34 kit

Any thoughts on a R32 vs a R34 body kit? Its kind of hard to tell the difference online no matter how many pictures I look at. I mean, I can tell they are different, but not that much. R34 seems more rounded. Impressions from people who have seen them in person? Which one is less flashy?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM

Prediction:

The OP will get flamed, and his question will never get answered.

Last edited by aackshun; 05-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:07 PM

Theyre based off the R32 and R34 Skyline GT-R's go look at those cars and youll see differences.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM

ive seen many R32 and R33 in person but no R34 (not legal yet)

R32 and 34 are NOTHING alike lol, people do R34 front conversions on R32 and its alot of work. notice how the R34's bumper goes up near the grille?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:16 PM

If you want something clean and subtle go with the stillin lip kit that's what EVERYONE has on there max in this forum skyline kits are a little more wild and unique but hey it's your ride do what you want not what everyone else "thinks" would look good on your car
Just my .2 cents
Oh and I've never seen a R32 kit for our gen
Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
If you want something clean and subtle go with the stillin lip kit that's what EVERYONE has on there max in this forum skyline kits are a little more wild and unique but hey it's your ride do what you want not what everyone else "thinks" would look good on your car
Just my .2 cents
Oh and I've never seen a R32 kit for our gen
It exists, very few people have/had it over the years. R34 style was more common. I'll see if I can dig up some pics...

R32

R34

Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 PM

They are both ugly.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
It exists, very few people have/had it over the years. R34 style was more common. I'll see if I can dig up some pics...

R32

R34

i think you got that backwards... r33s are the more common ones (the second group of pics)

ive never seen a r32 body kit as a matter of fact

Last edited by MaximaSpd85; 05-09-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crusher103
They are both ugly.
I was waiting for that.. LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 AM

In for what you decide to do OP
Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 AM

I'll keep it simple. Both do not belong on a Maxima.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:29 AM

I realize many people don't like body kits. Given. I personally like body kits when they don't necessarily make it flamboyant, but just make it more ambiguous what car it actually is.

I really meant to say r33 vs r34, but while we're at it, I'll throw the r32 into the hat as well. I realize they all are derived from different generation skylines, but they look different on maximas. I have never seen any maxima with a kit in person (that I know of), and that is why I am looking for some feedback. (The above pictures are labeled backwards. I've seen those pictures everywhere, but it's not the same as seeing them in person.)

The thing is, I would like to replace my bumpers anyways. One has damage, and the other doesn't have a place for fog lights! I like the stillen lip kit, but for about the same money I can get a full kit without having to buy new bumpers.

I like the supposed durability of the extreme dimensions kits. Seems strong.

Here is the link for the r32 kit:

http://www.myhotmaxima.com/Bay-Speed...y-Kit/788918/#

I like that one more every time I look at it, but it's not made by Extreme Dimensions.

Last edited by Dr.Awkward; 05-10-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
ive seen many R32 and R33 in person but no R34 (not legal yet)

R32 and 34 are NOTHING alike lol, people do R34 front conversions on R32 and its alot of work. notice how the R34's bumper goes up near the grille?
Isnt he talking about the direct bolt on body kit bumpers? Also, All skylines are illegal in the US, not just R34's
Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 AM

Skylines are illegal..thats jus whack. Def something political about that.

OP,

Body kit it up if u want man. Its yur car.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 95Maxed
Isnt he talking about the direct bolt on body kit bumpers? Also, All skylines are illegal in the US, not just R34's
here 15 years and older= good to go, so anything 1996 or older

still R32 have none of the lines of a 4th gen
Old 05-10-2011, 11:05 AM

I am not trying to make it look like a skyline. I just happen to like the way those bumpers look. If there was another bumper that I thought wasn't too flashy, I would be interested in that as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Oh yea... my bad. I forgot about that antique car clause loophole thing lol
Old 05-10-2011, 12:28 PM

I vote lock.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

This one was staying fairly flame-free so I am re-opening it.

As for the differences, it is more a variation of manufacturer than what "R" the kit is based on. None of the kits look like the skyline that they are named after, and none of them make the A32 really look like a skyline.

As long as the OP is just looking for an aftermarket bumper to replace the stock one and as long as the comments stay fairly constructive, I'll let this one ride.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM

I have the R34 kit front bumper on my 02 Altima and I love it. I just need more mesh to cover the remaining holes.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dr.Awkward
Here is the link for the r32 kit:

http://www.myhotmaxima.com/Bay-Speed...y-Kit/788918/#

I like that one more every time I look at it, but it's not made by Extreme Dimensions.
Don't get either,
1) because their ugly
2) u said u didn't want flashy and their flashy in an ugly way
3) it'll make ur car look ugly and u would regret it later
4) if ur trying to be different u would fail because there has been other 4th gens with that kit.
5) none of those kits have any similarities to an r32, r33, or r34. Just because they have a r and a number on the style doesn't mean its similar to them.

One thing I hate about these body kits is that the side skirts and rear bumper doesn't flow consistent. Back in the day (2002ish) when kits were popular, it all had a nice flow to it it and it all went together. Now they have a bumper with random sides and random rear bumper, and it has an ugly flow with the hole kit. I say keep looking and see what else is out there.

I was looking through the site that u linked, why not go for the bay speed SAR bumper? That with ionic side skirts would look better than the ones u are interested in...
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM

I personally think the R33 front bumper looks much better then the two mentioned above but thats just my personally preference. I think if u like one then go for it bc it may not be for someone else's tastes but its ur car and if it makes u happy, go for it!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM

pure rice
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

^^^ See im not going to go so far as to call it Rice.

A body kit CAN be done in a tasteful way that looks good. All depends on the individual.

That being sd, if my car wasnt 14 yrs old and only had basic insurance i wd consider a body kit. On a car as old as ours, I only spend money on maintenance and minor mods.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
They are both ugly.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Also, All skylines are illegal in the US, not just R34's
I have seen a HUGE number of legal skylines, including the r34. lol
Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
^^^ See im not going to go so far as to call it Rice.

A body kit CAN be done in a tasteful way that looks good. All depends on the individual.

That being sd, if my car wasnt 14 yrs old and only had basic insurance i wd consider a body kit. On a car as old as ours, I only spend money on maintenance and minor mods.
Sorry but it is rice, and yes a body kit can be pulled of and "tasteful" but the selection of body kits for maximas in general are ugly. And yes it does depend on the individual, but in all honesty the only individuals that like bodykits are young kits that don't know better and have that ricer mentality (not including actual jdm body kits). No matter how hard some one tries, with the selection of kits that are available for maximas will never look good and/or tasteful. IMO, there is only one full front bumper body kit that looks good on a 4th gen and its the sanora one that looks like the stock front bumper with a fat front lip...
Old 05-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MaxiNone
Don't get either,
1) because their ugly
2) u said u didn't want flashy and their flashy in an ugly way
3) it'll make ur car look ugly and u would regret it later
4) if ur trying to be different u would fail because there has been other 4th gens with that kit.
5) none of those kits have any similarities to an r32, r33, or r34. Just because they have a r and a number on the style doesn't mean its similar to them.
One thing I hate about these body kits is that the side skirts and rear bumper doesn't flow consistent. Back in the day (2002ish) when kits were popular, it all had a nice flow to it it and it all went together. Now they have a bumper with random sides and random rear bumper, and it has an ugly flow with the hole kit. I say keep looking and see what else is out there.
I was looking through the site that u linked, why not go for the bay speed SAR bumper? That with ionic side skirts would look better than the ones u are interested in...
Thanks for your input. I'm a big boy that doesn't fall to pieces when someone doesn't like what I like. Thank you Patrick for re-opening.
I'll try to address as many things as I can with the above posts, but I might miss something.

MaxiNone:
1-3: Thanks for your opinion
4: I'm not trying to be "different" for the sake of being different.
5: I already stated that I don't want the kits because the do or don't look like a skyline.
The main reason I am looking at the extreme dimension kits over the rest of them is their quality. It seems they are much stronger than other bumpers. Can anyone attest to this?

Deadlock:
I think your bumper looks really clean and very nice looking. To me it doesn't even look that aftermarket. These days with the way styling is going in new cars, looks like that fit in nicely(flame alert: that would be an opinion. I know its not fact. Thank you for your concern)
Thank you for posting your ride. If anyone else has pictures of their rides with any of the kits/bumpers, please post them if you can. The stock pictures at all of the online retailers just aren't cutting it.

MaxiNone (2nd):
You don't have to be sorry. That is your opinion. We are freely exchanging ideas on the greatest communication network ever. It's awesome isn't it! Now the idea that the only people with these are young kits (kids?) that don't know any better and are "ricer" mentality is remarkably similar to the one that only old people drive slow and all old people drive slow. Remarkably narrow minded. But I digress...
I agree with you regarding the sanora (sarona?) kit. But unfortunately its also three or four times the cost. Kind of takes it out of the running before the race even starts.
Also, realize I live in California where these types of looks are much more everyday. I've yet to return to Texas since I was a baby, but given your comments and opinions, I imagine they are not as common there.

Again, thank you to everybody who has commented. I appreciate all of your opinions.

If anyone is in California (preferably bay area) with ANY of the body kits, I would love to check them out in person. LMK.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 PM

OP, please dont- just get a lip kit.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
OP, please dont- just get a lip kit.
If I didn't need to replace my rear bumper and want to replace my front bumper, then I would probably be much more likely to entertain that idea. The fact the I have to pay the same amount or more for just lips, and also buy bumpers makes it more cost inhibitive.
If I could get my hands on 97-99 bumpers in the right color CHEAP then I would be much more likely to go that route. But we all know how likely that is...
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Xfactor22
"Legal" There is no crash test data on any of the JDM skylines other than a select few R33's. Im not saying they arent there, i know a guy who owns an R34 but keeps it under lock and key in a garage her in orlando. They are illegal according to the federal gov. and have/will be siezed.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:38 PM

to legalize it, you need to cut it in half and weld the 2 halves together. i have seen a R34 GTR done VERY poorly this way but you can weld the 2 halves together and make it look like the car was never cut, and legally register it

but im getting OT so im out
Old 05-11-2011, 08:49 PM

all skylines except the gtr are illegal the govnt right now is cracking down on them and is repoing as many as they can they dont fit federal standards such as obvious emissions and 2 there is no saftey if you are t-boned in a skyline you are dead basically and to get it sum what legal most ppl trick it to be a 240sx and swap the vins
Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 PM

For the OP, I say you buy a vertex kit and mold that bad boy on there. Clean lines and an original idea! Just gotta find a kit that is close to our body lines!

There are very few LEGAL skylines here as 95Maxed said after your post...

"Legal" There is no crash test data on any of the JDM skylines other than a select few R33's. Im not saying they arent there, i know a guy who owns an R34 but keeps it under lock and key in a garage her in orlando. They are illegal according to the federal gov. and have/will be siezed.
DING DING DING!!! We must have read the same article... The company that was importing them only donated 1 R33 and submitted its crash test data for R32's and R34's as well. So, the only one you can legally obtain is the R33 right now, and that is still a very hard chore...

to legalize it, you need to cut it in half and weld the 2 halves together. i have seen a R34 GTR done VERY poorly this way but you can weld the 2 halves together and make it look like the car was never cut, and legally register it

but im getting OT so im out
chrome91, I believe your referring to one of those loopholes for kit cars... Your not supposed to do it with an entire car and I wouldnt recommend cutting one in half and then driving it later anyways haha. I believe your actually supposed to just pull the motor and register the body as a kit car... Then toss the motor in and get it inspected for street worthiness...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
chrome91, I believe your referring to one of those loopholes for kit cars... Your not supposed to do it with an entire car and I wouldnt recommend cutting one in half and then driving it later anyways haha. I believe your actually supposed to just pull the motor and register the body as a kit car... Then toss the motor in and get it inspected for street worthiness...
you cant do that here at least, ive talked to people in the business and you cant even cut off the roof and weld it back on and call it a kit car, you literally have to get it cut in half vertically and weld it back together
Old 05-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Gentlemen....

Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Gentlemen....

thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by max_dreamer
DING DING DING!!! We must have read the same article... The company that was importing them only donated 1 R33 and submitted its crash test data for R32's and R34's as well. So, the only one you can legally obtain is the R33 right now, and that is still a very hard chore...
Wow, finally someone thats actually informed on the topic and not pulling facts out their ***. lol.

anyways.... back to the topic. I dont really think the R kits look great on our cars, the body lines just dont seem to flow with it.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM

TO go a bit off topic and waaaay back.... Cars only tend to look rice if they have one or two flashy mods and that's it - like an over sized rear spiler, or a poorly done kit and that's it.

IF you take the time and do EVERYTHING right. And I mean, put in some serious wrench time into kit, lowering, rims, tires, paint and etc - then the car will look serious and it WILL look good. It's just a matter of time, and not doing a half assed job.

So to the OP, anyway you go, go all the way and do it proper. And then post pics =)
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 PM

I agree with the people that said if a body kit is done right it can look nice. Chip foose used one on overhaulin for a civic and this thing looked SOOOOOO clean once he was done with his finece

Quick Reply: R32 vs R34 kit