4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

problem with my headlight

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 04:25 PM

problem with my headlight

hey guys,
Merry x-mas and what not... anyways, when i replaced the bulbs in my headlights a month or so ago, i had a pain in the a$$ time getting the driver side bulb off. It seemed like as if it had been melted into place. I finally got the bulb off and replaced it with a brighter bulb and everything was find and dandy. then the other day, i start the car up and turn on the lights and see the highbeam indicator on in the dash. Try fiddling with all the switches and get out and find that my bulb is out. Drive home, pop the hood, pull out the bulb, not burnt. put it back in and try it and it works. then i a couple hours later, start the car up and no light. open the hood, touch the bulb to pull it out and it comes back on. Now almost everytime i turn on the lights, i must get out, open the hood and fiddle with the wires right outside of the bulb socket to get it to turn on. what do i do to fix it? Do i replace the part that the bulb connects to that has 3 wires coming out of it? How much does that cost? i swear that my maxima hates upgraded bulb. first its the clearance bulbs, then the foglights (which burnt out again after 3 weeks) and now the head light. why didn't they just come with HIDs...

Chris
Old 12-24-2001, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You melted something.

Go to groupbuycenter.com and buy an APC wire harness upgrade for $30.00

Of course, since it's the driver's side that's having issues, and you need to plug the APC Harness into it, you may have issues there as well....maybe you could ziptie the APC and the stock harness together to cause enough pressure for the connection to be secure.

I had exactly the same problem with my passenger light....didn't look melted, but it was.

IanS
Old 12-24-2001, 05:38 PM

Thats exactly what it is. You'll need to get a new harness for that headlight. It's not very expensive and the process of replacing will only include a little wire cut'n, striping, joining and taping. 30 minutes tops. This happened to me too as well. Stock harnes from the Dealership is like 6 bucks or something like that. Invest in a Upgraded harness as well if your still going to run Higher Wattage. Replacing the stock harness will make instaling the Apc Wiring harness easier. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:10 PM

Yup Yup.....what he said.
Old 12-24-2001, 07:40 PM

EVerything they said, i had my APC 80/100 watts on my 95 with and without the harness, when i didn't have the harness i melted the left side twice it went on and off and flickered. THen i got the harness no improvement in lighting but no melting oem harness.
Old 12-24-2001, 08:29 PM

i didn't see it over at groupbuycenter.com. where else can i look? do i have to buy one for each headlight? can i buy one for the fog lights? Thanks guys
Old 12-24-2001, 08:38 PM

Originally posted by ZXdude
i didn't see it over at groupbuycenter.com. where else can i look? do i have to buy one for each headlight? can i buy one for the fog lights? Thanks guys
If your talking about the Upgraded harness, you'll only need one. If your refering to the stock harness, you'll only need a replacement for whats melted. If the other headlight is ok, leave it be. From what I've read so far in your post, all you'll need is one stock harness and one Upgraded harness. I bought my harness off the net (don't remember where...sorry) but there are plenty of sites listed in the Forum, just run a search on Harnesses, you should get all types of names. As for the fogs.......I don't believe they do.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:23 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by ZXdude

http://www.suvlights.com/
http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022...ht_harness.htm

I'm planning on getting some soon, tired of all the bs bulbs that barely light up the road.
Old 12-24-2001, 09:27 PM

FYI, on the suvlights.com page, it i the 9004 Harness that you want, and you only need one. It plugs into one of the stock harnesses and uses relays,

Stock Drivers Side Harness goes into Upgraded harness, which then has an extension for the passenger side.

Sp you only need to buy one upgraded harness for both headlights.

IanS
Old 12-25-2001, 11:07 AM

Suvlights is where I got My harness. It's not APC, but serves the same purpose, Cheaper too......motivator for me :].
Old 12-25-2001, 01:00 PM

actually, looking at my receipt, it looks like the group deal I got for $30.00 was through groupbuycenter.com, but was actually from suvlights.com

IanS