4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help, 4thgen LSD transmission vs 01 LSD transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 AM
The original VQ...

help, 4thgen LSD transmission vs 01 LSD transmission

I have a 01 20th aniverasry 5 spd.

I need a transmission and cant find a replacement. Thinking of maybe using a 4th gen vlsd trans if possible?

What are the differances in the 4th gen vlsd transmission from the 20th aniv trans like i have ?
will my axles fit or is one of them going to be to long ?

Any info would be helpfull. Theres alot of vlsd threads but I just cant seem to find the answer im looking for.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:34 AM
aka UNCDooD

from what I've read in the all motor forum you should be fine in swapping over to the 4th gen VLSD trans and keeping both your axles. what happened to your transmission?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:46 AM

The 95-01 manual transmissions were interchangable, only difference being the locking vs non-locking diffs. In your case as long as you get one with a locking diff from an i30 or another AE one you will be fine, axles will fit, and have no problems.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Very enlightening indeed. Didnt know AE's were equipped with a locking diff. Good to know for when I decide to source one.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
Very enlightening indeed. Didnt know AE's were equipped with a locking diff. Good to know for when I decide to source one.

Good luck..
Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM
The original VQ...

I cant source one but good luck , drove 2 hours yesterday to RI. Just to get there and the place was trying to scam me. It wasnt a vlsd, I noticed right away when I saw the drivers side seal wasnt as big. And I also brough my drivers side CV with me to double check . And It did not fit.

Originally Posted by Jason R
from what I've read in the all motor forum you should be fine in swapping over to the 4th gen VLSD trans and keeping both your axles. what happened to your transmission?
My differential bearings are shot. Main shaft is fine, but the diff has alot of play.

To update the thread , I ended up purchasing a new transmission right from nissan. Rebuild prices were alittle high and I wasnt really sure on what shop I could trust. So my *** is sore but after going back and fourth alot , and lots of calls to my local dealerships, one of them actually beat Daveb's and courtesy nissans price !

On that note, I might try to sell my VLSD . NEEDS differential bearings , would be a good score for someone that can do the work themselves.
Im thinking of asking 300$ if anyone is interested. If not I might take it aprt myself and try myself and maybe have a spare ? hehe
Old 05-27-2011, 02:59 PM

Eh, I'd rather get a HLSD..... just sayin'...
Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by aackshun
Eh, I'd rather get a HLSD..... just sayin'...
I thought about it, I could use the extra gear on my long highway rides. But all the parts really add up unless you have a donor car to pick from.
I just didnt want the headache.

Just bummed cause it sets my S/C plans back till maybe next summer or never... o well. Time to tune the vafc and enjoy it as is.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 PM
SLOW

i know for a fact i answered this question at length in the other thread where you asked this same question yesterday.

also i've answered it about 10 other times too. including in the VLSD sticky thread at the top of the All Motor forum.

http://forums.maxima.org/all-motor/3...swap-info.html

the short answer is yes it will work.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
I cant source one but good luck , drove 2 hours yesterday to RI. Just to get there and the place was trying to scam me. It wasnt a vlsd, I noticed right away when I saw the drivers side seal wasnt as big. And I also brough my drivers side CV with me to double check . And It did not fit.

My differential bearings are shot. Main shaft is fine, but the diff has alot of play.

To update the thread , I ended up purchasing a new transmission right from nissan. Rebuild prices were alittle high and I wasnt really sure on what shop I could trust. So my *** is sore but after going back and fourth alot , and lots of calls to my local dealerships, one of them actually beat Daveb's and courtesy nissans price !

On that note, I might try to sell my VLSD . NEEDS differential bearings , would be a good score for someone that can do the work themselves.
Im thinking of asking 300$ if anyone is interested. If not I might take it aprt myself and try myself and maybe have a spare ? hehe

Just out of curiosity, how much did the tranny run you? And which dealership gave you the better price?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Ive found a few on car-part.com.

@maxspeed: Definitely a great tidbit. Something to look out for.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:49 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Trini Boom
Just out of curiosity, how much did the tranny run you? And which dealership gave you the better price?
Dave B and courtesy gave me the same qoute 1850, then My local dealer (middletown nissan) beat them and gave it to me for 1,800 plus tax.

Ive found a few on car-part.com.

@maxspeed: Definitely a great tidbit. Something to look out for.
Ya I found 2 on car-part.com that were in driving range, one was 2 hrs away in RI. So I went to check it out and it was a scam, wasnt vlsd. Guy was a a-hole about it to.
I should of asked for the vin before driving out but didnt think about it.

The other is in PA which would be a 4hr drive for me. And had 100k for $1200

So I just bit the bullet and I know Ill have a good trans that will last, thanks for the replies everyone .

Last edited by maxspeed96CT; 05-28-2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:05 PM

there one in pa with 36k miles he wants $1200
it was of a 2001 ae maxima
Old 06-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Jesus christ, my whole swap costed $1350, if I throw in gas for random trips across town I'd say close to 1400.... I would not pay 1200 for a 10 year old transmission.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 PM

but it has lsd in this one, it came off a 2001 ae edition very special
Old 06-12-2011, 05:08 PM

I'm wondering...

Why do you want a LSD? To say you have it? If you really want it so bad why not get another low mileage 5mt and get a quaife? Why not get another maxima? They're much better things to be doing with 1200.....
Old 06-12-2011, 06:07 PM

lsd will give u more traction if your drag racing, if u get a low mileage 5 spd trans u will stil have to pay someone to install the quaife and it will cost more than 1200, it like rebuild the trans.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Gram Lights addict

you can use 4th gen trans on 5th gen. The VLSD are VERY hard to come by and most salvage yards can't even tell the difference and would rip you off with an open diff. I was lucky to source one mad local off an I30 few years ago when my open diff blew on the highway. still amazes me that i was so lucky to source an M/T the next day, let alone an LSD. mine blew because of head bearing too, so it is a commong problem from what I know.

you can always order one from courtesyparts or autozone for shy of $2000. not sure if you want to spend that kind of $$$ but FWIW, they are rebuilt and come with warranty.

Last edited by QT1 5MT AE; 06-12-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSlow_max
lsd will give u more traction if your drag racing, if u get a low mileage 5 spd trans u will stil have to pay someone to install the quaife and it will cost more than 1200, it like rebuild the trans.
True, I've noticed easier launching in my car but....

That still didn't answer my question... Why do YOU want a LSD transmission?

Also (a quality) rebuilt transmission > something that's been sitting around for ages with low mileage.

Quaife > Stock VLSD.... Which doesn't have a warranty...

Better yet, give me $1200, i'll rebuild you one badass 5mt transmission.....

Only trying to help, wishing you the best man.

Originally Posted by QT1 5MT AE
you can use 4th gen trans on 5th gen. The VLSD are VERY hard to come by and most salvage yards can't even tell the difference and would rip you off with an open diff. I was lucky to source one mad local off an I30 few years ago when my open diff blew on the highway. still amazes me that i was so lucky to source an M/T the next day, let alone an LSD. mine blew because of head bearing too, so it is a commong problem from what I know.

you can always order one from courtesyparts or autozone for shy of $2000. not sure if you want to spend that kind of $$$ but FWIW, they are rebuilt and come with warranty.
When I retired my 5mt, there was a 5mt VLSD fs too, like $400 also, I just decided that $400 was better spend putting my car up on jack stands and finally swapping it to 6mt, good decision in retrospect , from what I've noticed there's always a VLSD sitting around nearby, usually just one, just have to look for it.... really hard....

Last edited by aackshun; 06-12-2011 at 11:42 PM.