4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Clutch Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2001, 02:24 PM

Need Clutch Help Please!

My stock clutch went out during my christmas vacation, and im trying to find the cheapest ACT clutch possible online so i can have it replaced asap. I would use the search function, but my internet browser is messed up. Is there any way one of you guys can help me out? thanks

ryan
Old 12-26-2001, 02:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well if you clutch is "out", you might have to forgo cheapness for quick delivery. This might not be the absolute cheapest, but Got Rice has fair prices and good delivery. At this point, delivery should be just as important if the price is fair(but not rock bottom). Hell you might have to pay 20-30% more if a local shop has one in stock ready to go.

Search for gotricezone or something
Old 12-26-2001, 03:09 PM
ybelm620

Try www.nopi.com

Old 12-26-2001, 07:10 PM

Re: Need Clutch Help Please!

Originally posted by MAXIPADMAN
My stock clutch went out during my christmas vacation, and im trying to find the cheapest ACT clutch possible online so i can have it replaced asap. I would use the search function, but my internet browser is messed up. Is there any way one of you guys can help me out? thanks

ryan
The maxima site that talks about rebuilding the tranny suggests a ACT pressure plate and a 300zx-NA clutch disk... But how do you know it went out??? It won't just go out... It slips more and more.. Do you mean your pedal is stuck to the floor?? If so this is cheap and easy..
Old 12-26-2001, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Need Clutch Help Please!

Originally posted by cbr2

The maxima site that talks about rebuilding the tranny suggests a ACT pressure plate and a 300zx-NA clutch disk... But how do you know it went out??? It won't just go out... It slips more and more.. Do you mean your pedal is stuck to the floor?? If so this is cheap and easy..
i mean it went out because its like a dead pedal now. There is no more play in it. When i push it.. its just like a soggy pedal. I cant even put it in first to park it. Its just sittin in the driveway with the emergency brake up.
Old 12-26-2001, 09:25 PM
Keven97SE

Make it simple. Just get the HDMM kit. Heavy duty pressure plate (40%?+ more torque capacity) and a modified stock street disk. I have it as do most other ACT owners on this board and it is a fantastic clutch for any Maxima of any power level. Very easy to modulate, progressive, clutch pedal is not much stiffer than stock, and it does not chatter. Holds like a ****. Very good clutch.

Old 12-26-2001, 11:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Need Clutch Help Please!

Originally posted by Keven97SE
Make it simple. Just get the HDMM kit. Heavy duty pressure plate (40%?+ more torque capacity) and a modified stock street disk. I have it as do most other ACT owners on this board and it is a fantastic clutch for any Maxima of any power level. Very easy to modulate, progressive, clutch pedal is not much stiffer than stock, and it does not chatter. Holds like a ****. Very good clutch.

Do you know of any sites off hand where i can order this? Tanks in advance.

ryan
Old 12-27-2001, 12:55 AM
SLOW

Sounds like you have a leak in the hydraulic system that actuates your clutch, its not the clutch itself if you ask me. Your clutch would go out progressively and be very obvious. Not being able to engage gears is NOT a sign of normal clutch wear. Its your master cylinder or slave cylinder (if our cars have them, some do, some dont.)
Old 12-27-2001, 05:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Need Clutch Help Please!

ryan
contact phoung at eatricezone.com he has them in stock spoke to him last night, and see if he can fed ex you one. He has the cheapest price, but next day air shipping wont be cheap
Old 12-27-2001, 05:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Need Clutch Help Please!

i mean it went out because its like a dead pedal now. There is no more play in it. When i push it.. its just like a soggy pedal. I cant even put it in first to park it. Its just sittin in the driveway with the emergency brake up.
Yeh..
A bad cltuch and you could put i in any gear w/out the pedal and you would not go anywhere and have no grinding.. You lost a master, slave cylinder or a line... It is a hydrolic system and something failed.. Fill the system back up and find where fluid is leaking out.. Master is on your firewall connected to your pedal and the slave is on your tranny (this is probably the one that died)
Old 12-27-2001, 08:45 AM

Attention: cbr2 AND Nealoc187 - HELP

The same thing happened to me yesterday and it was all of a sudden. The clutch is mush and I have to push down hard to put the car in gear.

So - can you give me some more tips/details how to check my hydralic system and both the master and slave cylinder. Let say it is one of these - what is required to change them or fix the problem.

thanks very much.

Yeh..
A bad cltuch and you could put i in any gear w/out the pedal and you would not go anywhere and have no grinding.. You lost a master, slave cylinder or a line... It is a hydrolic system and something failed.. Fill the system back up and find where fluid is leaking out.. Master is on your firewall connected to your pedal and the slave is on your tranny (this is probably the one that died)
Old 12-27-2001, 10:20 AM

"We got a 10-4 Central Cornerbashing, we got a nice max with ugly bumper lights" olice: Please clear them out JAY25
Old 12-27-2001, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

contact phoung at eatricezone.com he has them in stock spoke to him last night, and see if he can fed ex you one. He has the cheapest price, but next day air shipping wont be cheap
thanks for the info. I'll send him an e-mail.
Old 12-27-2001, 02:28 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

check the hydro system

if you clutch is mushy and you cant put it into gear check the fluid level in your clutch fluid resivior(SP) if its full look around the whole system for leaks. if no leaks it might be something internal. like a throw out bearing
Old 12-27-2001, 04:24 PM

Re: check the hydro system

Thanks nismo2020.
I have to pull out my Haynes, but where is the clutch fluid resevoir?

Originally posted by nismo2020
if you clutch is mushy and you cant put it into gear check the fluid level in your clutch fluid resivior(SP) if its full look around the whole system for leaks. if no leaks it might be something internal. like a throw out bearing
Old 12-27-2001, 04:52 PM

Re: Re: check the hydro system

Originally posted by Pappa Grande
Thanks nismo2020.

OK...
Hydrolic clutch system in a nut shell... Your pedal is directly connected to your master clinder.. When you push it, it pushes in a piston the forces fluid into the line(looks like a brake line) this line has a branch midway.. to one side is a valve that is used to bleed it.. It is closed at ALL other times.. So leaving only one path for the fluid to go... That is to the slave cylinder.. Which you guessed is a piston as well.. But this piston exstends out and pushes on your fork.. This action releases the pressure on the clutch disk hence disconnecting your tranny from the engine which allows you to shift..

Now.. 99% of the time the system fails you will be left fluidless..
http://www.motorvate.ca/ has a write-up on what to do.. Chech it out.. Pictures are worth 1000 words..
Old 12-28-2001, 04:36 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: check the hydro system

Thanks nismo2020.

as you open the hood it is down and to the right of the brake resevoir, looks just like the one for the brakes.
Old 12-28-2001, 07:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: check the hydro system

Thanks guys.
I'll be tackling this today and will report back my results later.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:34 AM

Re: Re: Re: check the hydro system

Thanks cbr2 and Nismo2020.

I've checked the whole system but can't identify and leaks. The Clutch resevoir was completely empty. I added brake fluid and bled the system. It took a while but it seems my cluth is almost back to normal. Motorvate.cc was VERY helpful. I would have never found the Slave cylinder without it.

Anyway I may go ahead and change the master and slave AND replace some of the rubber lines.

How do you remove the "banjo" line from the Slave Cylinder - I can't figure it out - there are no clamps??

Thanks again.
Old 12-29-2001, 10:52 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: check the hydro system

I've checked the whole system but can't identify and leaks. The Clutch resevoir was completely empty. I added brake fluid and bled the system. It took a while but it seems my cluth is almost back to normal. Motorvate.cc was VERY helpful. I would have never found the Slave cylinder without it.

Anyway I may go ahead and change the master and slave AND replace some of the rubber lines.

How do you remove the "banjo" line from the Slave Cylinder - I can't figure it out - there are no clamps??

Thanks again.
When you remove the line remove the slave and it should come apart.. I don't remember but I don't recall having an issue.. But Like I said I had it off....
Old 12-29-2001, 10:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: check the hydro system

Thanks again.
Oh and if you can't find a leak check inside the car.. The master can leak into your car where the pedal meets the master also the slave can leak into your clutch and be un noticable.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Well if you clutch is "out", you might have to forgo cheapness for quick delivery. This might not be the absolute cheapest, but Got Rice has fair prices and good delivery. At this point, delivery should be just as important if the price is fair(but not rock bottom). Hell you might have to pay 20-30% more if a local shop has one in stock ready to go.

Search for gotricezone or something
eatricezone.com