4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Cattman Exhaust?

So, I had decided on getting the Cattman catback after hearing sound clips and doing my research through numerous threads on here, but I can't seem to find it and it appears that you can no longer order items off of their website...am I like 10 years late, do they even make the catback anymore or can I call Brian and get one made? Thanks, Alex
Old 06-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by apate91
So, I had decided on getting the Cattman catback after hearing sound clips and doing my research through numerous threads on here, but I can't seem to find it and it appears that you can no longer order items off of their website...am I like 10 years late, do they even make the catback anymore or can I call Brian and get one made? Thanks, Alex
Call Brian, his website is extremely outdated. Or, look in the Group Deal Forum for Brian.

Note that fitment is not dead on in one spot. It will mostly likely bang on the rear trailing arm like it does on both of my Max's, and others as well.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 PM

And thats true for both 2.5 and 3" Wiz?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by VQ'rInWLA
And thats true for both 2.5 and 3" Wiz?
Yup. More so with the 3" though.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:30 PM

What have you done to doctor it? Additional brackets/hangers? Or did you just let it ride?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Administrator

What have you done to doctor it? Additional brackets/hangers? Or did you just let it ride?
I added Nismo/stiffer hangars, but that only helped a little. Haven't come up with a Plan B yet, but it's sure getting on my nerves more and more lately..
Old 06-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Find a local mandrel bender and add a bend....I know of one in the Bellflower area.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:11 AM

i've had a pacestter cattback bangin for 3 years now and it drives me nuts!!!! at least i know im not the only one that has that annoying $hit drivin them crazy.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:19 AM

i hear ya

Originally Posted by apate91
i actually spoke to him yesterday about this. he said if 10 people make an order with him he will put into production the catback for 4th gen's. so... i wanted to make a thread about it and see if anyone will be interested, But now that Wizard chimed in about the "banging" i'm having second thoughts. has anyone had experience with megan racing 2.5 fitments?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:41 AM

problem is, the 95-96's are different from 97-99's and it seems like none of these exhaust manufacturer's( stillen, cattman, etc ) want to make it for anything but 97-99's. so im stuck with a bangin noise cause it hangs too low.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
problem is, the 95-96's are different from 97-99's and it seems like none of these exhaust manufacturer's( stillen, cattman, etc ) want to make it for anything but 97-99's. so im stuck with a bangin noise cause it hangs too low.
so it's only a 95-96 issue ?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 AM

Really with any aftermarket catback you will have maybe 95% of them bang against the trailing arm and I have a 99, I've had three setups: pacesetter, megan, and now cattman and they all have banged.
But if had to pick and choose a setup I'd definitely go with the cattman catback for better performance and sound and try to remedy the banging. What I did for that was, for the moment to experiment, put metal straps, plumbers tape, in place of the hangers to hold it up higher and gradually tighten it until it didn't bang anymore and then weld the hanger arms so they will be higher, and problem solved
Old 06-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CautiousDriver
so it's only a 95-96 issue ?
No. All years.

Originally Posted by mista0406
Really with any aftermarket catback you will have maybe 95% of them bang against the trailing arm and I have a 99, I've had three setups: pacesetter, megan, and now cattman and they all have banged.
IMHO, there's no excuse for the Cattman to bang, especially at that price we pay for the "best of the best". I have more to say, but I'll stop there for now..

There is so much room between the gas tank and trailing arm, it's ridiculous. It's extremely off center. There's really no excuse why that whole section of exhaust couldn't be 1" closer to the gas tank.

Note: it may look like it's hitting the bracket for the RSB, but it's an illusion. It's a good distance away

Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 PM

I totally agree with you Wiz but the little modification that I made is more than enough since I already have it here but I do hope with his next batch (if there is one) that this little headache gets fixed.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 AM

I have a GReddy SP and have never run into this issue. Ill be changing out soon so its good to know as a heads up so I can take preventative measures.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Thanks guys for some clarity on this.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 PM

How come it wasn't brought up to stromung during the prototyping?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM

Anyone have real dyno numbers on how much this and or other such mods help HP?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:05 AM

the only real hp gain is from the y-pipe, no more pre cat's, headers and cattback dont really do much but help with the flow/sound.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 AM

the only real hp gain is from the y-pipe, no more pre cat's, headers and cattback dont really do much but help with the flow/sound.

AAck would surely disagree with this statement..

Are there any catbacks that wont rattle? I would take the most cost effective approach and roll with the CM ebay catback.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
AAck would surely disagree with this statement..

Are there any catbacks that wont rattle? I would take the most cost effective approach and roll with the CM ebay catback.
Two things..

1) While you disagree do we have anyone who has done dyno testing or any sort of real world a to b comparison of these upgrades that are more reliable than a butt dyno? I'm not trying to be a tool about this but performance is so often at times a subjective thing and I am a big fan of objective evidence.

2) I think with most things the answers are a bit more complex than just the surface. If you just want a system that is cheap and won't rattle, the answer is to get the cheap system and then install and or mod it in such a way as that it will not rattle. If you need to meet other objectives then you are tied to asking more questions and digging more deeply.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:47 AM

My Apexi WS was banging against the rear tow hook so I slit a piece of hose and ziptied it to the tow hook and no more banging sound. If you can't feel the gains from the exhaust then just swap in a variable intake manifold, extend the rev limit and if you still can't feel that then try some camshafts.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dsycks
Two things..

1) While you disagree do we have anyone who has done dyno testing or any sort of real world a to b comparison of these upgrades that are more reliable than a butt dyno? I'm not trying to be a tool about this but performance is so often at times a subjective thing and I am a big fan of objective evidence.

2) I think with most things the answers are a bit more complex than just the surface. If you just want a system that is cheap and won't rattle, the answer is to get the cheap system and then install and or mod it in such a way as that it will not rattle. If you need to meet other objectives then you are tied to asking more questions and digging more deeply.
I wasnt referring to me man. I was talking about Aackshun, who has the 3" cattman catback exhaust. Him and the other guys who purchased these setups swear by them. Aack does have some dynos with headers. Not sure if he has dynoed with the 3" setup.

The members who have responded to this thread have all mentioned rattling issues with the setups they are currently running. The ebay catbacks are the most cost effective catbacks to buy. I wanted to know from ppl who have this setup, if they have experienced issues with them rattling.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

I wasnt referring to me man. I was talking about Aackshun, who has the 3" cattman catback exhaust. Him and the other guys who purchased these setups swear by them.
Sorry if you feel I was aiming too directly at you. My focus was on the issue and not the person.

I feel that boards like this are a GREAT wealth of information for users but can just as easily be a place where disinformation spreads with rapidity. (See VW Vortex and their love of lawnmower low stace and craptastic CAIs ten years ago!)

My hope is that I may remain somewhat skeptical about any given product or method of tuneration until it has been shown to be worth the dollar it takes to put it into play. If that helps the collective, even better.

Sorry for offending!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by dsycks
Sorry if you feel I was aiming too directly at you. My focus was on the issue and not the person.

I feel that boards like this are a GREAT wealth of information for users but can just as easily be a place where disinformation spreads with rapidity. (See VW Vortex and their love of lawnmower low stace and craptastic CAIs ten years ago!)

My hope is that I may remain somewhat skeptical about any given product or method of tuneration until it has been shown to be worth the dollar it takes to put it into play. If that helps the collective, even better.

Sorry for offending!
naw man no offense taken .

Ur new, so i kno u didnt know who Aack was. Its hard to explain over the net all the history involved with all the setups, mods, and threads.

But again, the 3" exhaust guys swear by the setup. All of them are veterans here so i take their word.

I would have gotten the setup too but it was too pricey for me.

All the Forced Induction guys here say its an absolute must to have the 3" catback.

Cattman is an exclusive max supplier. He makes quality products for the 97-99 maximas. Its good

Either way man, welcome to the org.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
wouldnt take the bait huh lol.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM

wouldnt take the bait huh lol.
cmon now, someone show me any real gains from a cattback, headers maybe with a y pipe. im no expert, i just read alot and watch build threads in here.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 PM

Its typical of a combustion engine for most breathing mods to move power curve to the right. That is all
Old 06-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Its typical of a combustion engine for most breathing mods to move power curve to the right. That is all
right meaning it takes longer to reach peak? As to the requirement of a rev extentder then?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 99greddymax
How come it wasn't brought up to stromung during the prototyping?
Stromung showed up with the B-pipe pretty much done. Pretty much all his time was spent checking and calc'ing clearances over the axle, as that seemed to be his biggest concern. This is mostly likely because he forgot how 4th gen's have quit a bit of clearance over the axle, where 5th gens are really tricky and need very precise placement. He also hung the muffler, fabbed up some piping, fabbed the tip, and looked at tip placement. Tip placement was the only thing I added my .02 cents in, as I felt it wasn't my job nor my place to get under the car, inspect his work and tell him what to do and not do. Tip placement is subjective, so I felt ok to speak up and try to imagine what I would like and the masses as well.

Overall, the "prototyping" was very short. I speculate (key word speculate) that Stromung used his jig for the 2.5" system and simply made a 3" version of the B-pipe. This would explain why the 2.5" system bangs a little bit, and the 3" system a little bit more, since after all it's 1/4 inch closer to the trailing arm.

Once a real 3" system was fabricated, I offered to go for test fitting, but Cattman felt confident that the design was solid and said no thanks to my offer. The batch of 10 systems was then made and distributed to us.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Stromung showed up with the B-pipe pretty much done. Pretty much all his time was spent checking and calc'ing clearances over the axle, as that seemed to be his biggest concern. This is mostly likely because he forgot how 4th gen's have quit a bit of clearance over the axle, where 5th gens are really tricky and need very precise placement. He also hung the muffler, fabbed up some piping, fabbed the tip, and looked at tip placement. Tip placement was the only thing I added my .02 cents in, as I felt it wasn't my job nor my place to get under the car, inspect his work and tell him what to do and not do. Tip placement is subjective, so I felt ok to speak up and try to imagine what I would like and the masses as well.

Overall, the "prototyping" was very short. I speculate (key word speculate) that Stromung used his jig for the 2.5" system and simply made a 3" version of the B-pipe. This would explain why the 2.5" system bangs a little bit, and the 3" system a little bit more, since after all it's 1/4 inch closer to the trailing arm.

Once a real 3" system was fabricated, I offered to go for test fitting, but Cattman felt confident that the design was solid and said no thanks to my offer. The batch of 10 systems was then made and distributed to us.
Thanks for the update wiz..
Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 AM

5th gen here but the pic above that the Wiz posted looks exactly how mine sits, mine bangs only over trolley or train tracks but not going to deal with it till I get my headers....On That Note Cattman Only needs 3 More People to Start if anyones interested......
Old 06-30-2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
5th gen here but the pic above that the Wiz posted looks exactly how mine sits, mine bangs only over trolley or train tracks but not going to deal with it till I get my headers....On That Note Cattman Only needs 3 More People to Start if anyones interested......
Have to call him to makemy order then
Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by CautiousDriver
Have to call him to makemy order then
I hope you do...want these by like August or September but as long as by Christmas ill be happy....
Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Lol i called him you must of meant for 5 gens, i want for 4gen
Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Aackshun came by my place last week and we did a few fun runs around my house. Aackshun has headers, a 3'' cattman, and 6 speed over my car in terms of performance. I have intake spacers over him but 2.5'' cattman.

With me driving his car granny shifting (purposely because I was driving someone else's car) and him ripping my gears.... I was able to pull pretty hard on him 50+ mph. Down low, it's pretty even till we get to the mid-range. Over 100, it's no competition.

Sound wise, with an exhaust leak contributing to a turbo-like idle, his sounds much louder, cleaner, and deeper than mine. Almost like a Z

so yeah I want headers and a 3''.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 PM

cmon now, someone show me any real gains from a cattback, headers maybe with a y pipe. im no expert, i just read alot and watch build threads in here.
Find me an UNTUNED 4th gen with just an intake and exhaust putting out over 200ft/lbs.

And if you do, watch me beat it when I re-dyno with a better intake, lightweight rims, 6spd, etc. etc....

Follow the links in my sig if you want more info on what I dyno'd with and my setup and a lot of videos.

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
With me driving his car granny shifting (purposely because I was driving someone else's car) and him ripping my gears...
You mean "doing it right, chirpin 3rd"

Last edited by aackshun; 06-30-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
Find me an UNTUNED 4th gen with just an intake and exhaust putting out over 200ft/lbs.

And if you do, watch me beat it when I re-dyno with a better intake, lightweight rims, 6spd, etc. etc....

Follow the links in my sig if you want more info on what I dyno'd with and my setup and a lot of videos.

You mean "doing it right, chirpin 3rd"
Ripping as in power-shifting. not purposely trying to **** up my gears. I know you wouldn't do that to me, lol. I'm just too paranoid with other people's car. Aaron, when my car is back up and running. Let's get a 3rd car, your GoPro and record it.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
Ripping as in power-shifting. not purposely trying to **** up my gears. I know you wouldn't do that to me, lol. I'm just too paranoid with other people's car. Aaron, when my car is back up and running. Let's get a 3rd car, your GoPro and record it.
We'd have to put the go pro on your car, unless it's on my car backwards... Just sayin lol.

Get a laptop for tomorrow, we're doing a cam session of you guys fail errr.... attempt the tranny drop.

Quick Reply: Cattman Exhaust?