4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How fast will an auto 4th Gen go?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Whats really sad is that my new frontier with 4.0 V6 is faster than my 99max

It accelerates faster and pulls MUCH better after 100mph than the max. From the factory the truck is limited to 116 and its still in 4th gear at that point. Removed the limiter and had it up to 135gps before I chickened out and it was still pulling strong with plenty of RPM left. Wish I could put that engine & 5 speed auto in a newer maxima.

Only reason I have not traded up to a newer generation maxima is because I hate the CVT. Anyone know why Nissan decided to do away with a manual option? They pretty much ruined their new generation maximas for me by only giving a CVT option.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 PM

Automatic will top out at about 135 - 137. Personal experience. Had it there for over a minute. Foot glued to the floor. revs not climbing. Flat straight road.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by kingofquartz
Whats really sad is that my new frontier with 4.0 V6 is faster than my 99max

It accelerates faster and pulls MUCH better after 100mph than the max. From the factory the truck is limited to 116 and its still in 4th gear at that point. Removed the limiter and had it up to 135gps before I chickened out and it was still pulling strong with plenty of RPM left. Wish I could put that engine & 5 speed auto in a newer maxima.

Only reason I have not traded up to a newer generation maxima is because I hate the CVT. Anyone know why Nissan decided to do away with a manual option? They pretty much ruined their new generation maximas for me by only giving a CVT option.
I hear ya there...my boss has a 2006 V6 Tacoma (4.0, 245 HP, 266 tq), and when I've driven it from time to time, I've pretty much determined that it pulls at least as good as, if not better than, my 95. Although, I'm sure I have an advantage from a stand-still, because the Tacoma has a tendency to spin on bare pavement if you step on it just a little too hard. Really nice truck, though...one of those might be my next vehicle. Apparently the manual version of that truck does 0-60 in under 7.

Last edited by jas1203; 08-13-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by jas1203
I hear ya there...my boss has a 2006 V6 Tacoma (4.0, 245 HP, 266 tq), and when I've driven it from time to time, I've pretty much determined that it pulls at least as good as, if not better than, my 95. Although, I'm sure I have an advantage from a stand-still, because the Tacoma has a tendency to spin on bare pavement if you step on it just a little too hard. Really nice truck, though...one of those might be my next vehicle. Apparently the manual version of that truck does 0-60 in under 7.
Might want to consider the frontier before the tacoma. They have 265 horses 285tq and both the manual/auto 2wd king cab models hit 60 in under 7 seconds. The 4x4 and crew cab models are a bit slower. Mine has E-LSD that helps with tire spin. The auto is 5 speed and the manual is a 6 speed. I've been very impressed with the 2005+ frontiers.. same price as the old ones but way more features like speed sensitive steering, VVT, ect, ect. I'm most impressed with the passing power.. the difference between the truck and my max is night and day. So far I have 75k hard miles on it and it hasnt missed a beat.

The auto models have a soft shift feature that limits power when the tranny changes gears. It makes for a really nice ride but keeps the truck from throwing you back in the seat. A cheap tuner will delete that feature and firm up the shifts. Not to mention remove the limiter and add a bit of power with a premium fuel map. I dont know the true top speed without the limiter but I know its way more than you should go in a pickup.

Its sad but I find myself driving the truck rather than the max even when I dont need to haul stuff. But I guess that keeps miles off the max so it will last longer. I just cant bring myself to get rid of the 4th gen no matter how dated it is. To many memories and long hours making it mine.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 AM

Back in about 2000, when my girl got rid of her 92', she got a 95' and I had that **** on a stretch of i95 in Connecticut, from West Haven all the way to Branford, I raced 2 chicks in a newer Saab and we were doing well over 150 for about a 7 mile stretch, non stop... I think back now and I was stupid, but they go man, they go. It was 3 am and all the cops had checked back in, luckily.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by 96MaXiclean
Back in about 2000, when my girl got rid of her 92', she got a 95' and I had that **** on a stretch of i95 in Connecticut, from West Haven all the way to Branford, I raced 2 chicks in a newer Saab and we were doing well over 150 for about a 7 mile stretch, non stop... I think back now and I was stupid, but they go man, they go. It was 3 am and all the cops had checked back in, luckily.

Was that 95 stock or modified... auto or manual? I find it hard to believe that a stock 4th gen would go over 150mph. Maybe if you drafted the people in the Saab for a few miles... maybe.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by 96MaXiclean
I guess I could see 150...you'd have to have a lot of room to get up there, though...120 to 132 in mine took quite a while! I think I could have done 140 with another mile or two of space, but I wasn't about to try it without knowing what was around the corner ahead of me.

It's no racecar, but they move a lot quicker than most people would expect. Had fun on the same trip showing a late 90s V6 Mustang who was quicker, too...I think he was a bit surprised to say the least! He tried to pass me about 6 times before giving up...every time I saw him move to the left a little, I punched it and he couldn't get by. He'd make it to my front doors, then I'd start pulling away from him slowly but surely.

Originally Posted by kingofquartz
Might want to consider the frontier before the tacoma. They have 265 horses 285tq and both the manual/auto 2wd king cab models hit 60 in under 7 seconds. The 4x4 and crew cab models are a bit slower. Mine has E-LSD that helps with tire spin. The auto is 5 speed and the manual is a 6 speed. I've been very impressed with the 2005+ frontiers.. same price as the old ones but way more features like speed sensitive steering, VVT, ect, ect. I'm most impressed with the passing power.. the difference between the truck and my max is night and day. So far I have 75k hard miles on it and it hasnt missed a beat.

The auto models have a soft shift feature that limits power when the tranny changes gears. It makes for a really nice ride but keeps the truck from throwing you back in the seat. A cheap tuner will delete that feature and firm up the shifts. Not to mention remove the limiter and add a bit of power with a premium fuel map. I dont know the true top speed without the limiter but I know its way more than you should go in a pickup.

Its sad but I find myself driving the truck rather than the max even when I dont need to haul stuff. But I guess that keeps miles off the max so it will last longer. I just cant bring myself to get rid of the 4th gen no matter how dated it is. To many memories and long hours making it mine.
I'll keep that in mind...the extra power would be nice, I bet! I'm also sort of looking at H-6 Outbacks. I'll hang onto my Max too, until something happens that isn't worth fixing. I'll probably use it when I need to do highway driving, since 28 MPG in a V6 is hard to beat, and it's comfortable for a long trip. I've just decided that it isn't practical in the winter here. It's better than I thought it would be, but can't hold a candle to the 97 Outback I used to drive. I'll bet that Outback would go more places with worn-out summers than my Maxima will go with studded snows.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 PM

quote taken from maxfaq/history.
Our '95 Maxima SE scampers to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds and covers the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds, reaching 91 mph. (The '92 ran 0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds, the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 91 mph.) Top speed is 135 mph, within production tolerances of the 137 mph we saw in the '92 car.
so if the car was stock the only way your getting to 150(by the way the speedometer doesnt even register 150) is if you had a very strong breeze behind you and you were going downhill.
Im in no way trying to flame anyone or get anyones panties in a twist but those are the facts.
On a side note, i have had my max to the 130-135 range on a strip of straight highway between home and work(130-135 range at about 5400rpms) and yes i have a MT SE that is NOT stock
Old 08-13-2011, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by jas1203
It's better than I thought it would be, but can't hold a candle to the 97 Outback I used to drive. I'll bet that Outback would go more places with worn-out summers than my Maxima will go with studded snows.
ummm yeah.. the outback is a AWD car that is made for non pavement terrain.
a AWD is gonna go more places then a FWD anyday of the week.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by beatdown97
ummm yeah.. the outback is a AWD car that is made for non pavement terrain.
a AWD is gonna go more places then a FWD anyday of the week.
Not necessarily always true, though...I have a friend who had not-so-great tires on his 4X4 Blazer and I had a much easier time last winter than he did. Tires can make a huge difference...those studded snows grab very well!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by beatdown97
quote taken from maxfaq/history.
Our '95 Maxima SE scampers to 60 mph in 6.7 seconds and covers the quarter-mile in 15.3 seconds, reaching 91 mph. (The '92 ran 0 to 60 in 7.0 seconds, the quarter-mile in 15.5 seconds at 91 mph.) Top speed is 135 mph, within production tolerances of the 137 mph we saw in the '92 car.
so if the car was stock the only way your getting to 150(by the way the speedometer doesnt even register 150) is if you had a very strong breeze behind you and you were going downhill.
Im in no way trying to flame anyone or get anyones panties in a twist but those are the facts.
On a side note, i have had my max to the 130-135 range on a strip of straight highway between home and work(130-135 range at about 5400rpms) and yes i have a MT SE that is NOT stock
So I guess I was very close to top-end with mine. It's amazing how much pull it loses when the auto shifts into 4th. Gets to 120 or so pretty quick, but after that forget it.