4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Aackshun's Current MPG Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by TreizeRXH
Something else a lot of people need to consider when talking about gas mileage is the size of their rims. Lot's of people are not factoring in basic physics when it comes to rim sizes and tire sizes. The larger you go and the more physical tread that has to be pushed, the lower your mpg's are gonna be. Simply saying cause I know we got many people on these forums throwing 18's and up on cars that were designed to operate on 16's.

(of course I am aware that other set-ups, i.e. headers and exhaust, may negate this a bit, but it's something to consider)
Yeah that why my mileage is kinda low....My 245/40/18 are larger and rotate less than the 225/50/17 per mile....no problem! When I'm cruisin as per the speedometer @ 75 mph, I might really be driving @ 78-80 mph!
Old 07-17-2011, 11:59 PM
ef9

Larger diameter tires will affect the total mileage that your odometer reads, as well as your speedometer.

Your speedometer/odometer will be spinning faster than your actual car is moving. OP stated to the contrary of that. I hate to say it, but you should review your physics on gear ratios.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 AM

His tires are BARELY smaller than stock, it's less off than my tires right now.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Addicted to the Org

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

POST *****
Old 07-18-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by maximized98
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

POST *****

One day they'll rename that fro smilie to aackshun, it will be a glorious day.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:34 AM

New record!!

38.2mpg

Mainly because I have the Velox rims on the rear of the car, taking off 35lbs of rolling weight really helped!!!

Left it on cruise the whole time doing like 70-75.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by aackshun
New record!!

38.2mpg

Mainly because I have the Velox rims on the rear of the car, taking off 35lbs of rolling weight really helped!!!

very nice! Why do you travel so much through my city? lol

I figure I get an average of 22mpg.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 PM

New record!!

38.2mpg

Godamn you Aaron. 6-speed, headers and smaller wheels gets you that over me! I just replaced the KS, let's see what I can get. Plus, I still need to do 02 sensors
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 PM

i havent read this thread yet, but i'm just saying...all this time i've been thinking that the more power adders you throw on your car, than the more gas your bound to spend right? is there any "smart" way to add power, BUT still be able to save some more gas? currently, on my 4th gen, i have the OBX V2 headers and a Megan 2.5 exhaust straight piped. So, if for say, i were to get a high flow cat, would that help my mpg at all? would it be noticible? and will there be anything else i can do to save some gas, cuz my car just eats that **** up...on 91....lol
Old 09-12-2011, 10:06 PM

I hate you aackshun... :jealous:

Bring that thing up here.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by pflicht
very nice! Why do you travel so much through my city? lol

I figure I get an average of 22mpg.
Your city??? I'm all over the middle U.S. so yeahhhhhhh.....

Originally Posted by kidgrave
i havent read this thread yet, but i'm just saying...all this time i've been thinking that the more power adders you throw on your car, than the more gas your bound to spend right? is there any "smart" way to add power, BUT still be able to save some more gas? currently, on my 4th gen, i have the OBX V2 headers and a Megan 2.5 exhaust straight piped. So, if for say, i were to get a high flow cat, would that help my mpg at all? would it be noticible? and will there be anything else i can do to save some gas, cuz my car just eats that **** up...on 91....lol
Eh, it's like this, make as much TQ as you can at the lowest RPM, then stay there.... Saves you gas, after another 4th genner down here got a 6MT he was seeing 36 on his road trips and I was like woahhh!! i had to try extremely hard to repeat 28-29 on my road trips so I was like efff it, I get to have LSD and good mpg? AND! The transmissions are cheap as hell? And I get to have good gear ratios to make the most out of our narrow powerband? So much win, why didn't nissan do this in the first place?!

So, in the end... Are you auto or 5mt? If you're 5mt you really can't do jack ish because of 5th gear being so short, but if you're auto I'd say get intake mani spacers, CAI (yes long tubing, even though I personally hate it, will help you increase power down low for highway trips.

You just really have to research and build your car a specific way to what you do the most often, sometimes the mods giving you the most power aren't the right ones for your situation, I took time to research and risked and got lucky on some things and this is where I ended up.

Originally Posted by Daniel1120
I hate you aackshun... :jealous:

Bring that thing up here.
I will be there next week some time.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM

New record!!

38.2mpg

Thats crazy sick Aack.

Yo what 6MT did u throw on the car?? Did u complete a writeup for it?
Old 09-13-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cashoit
Thats crazy sick Aack.

Yo what 6MT did u throw on the car?? Did u complete a writeup for it?
02 Sentra Spec-V

You must realize all 1st gen (Reverse = Down Right, not Up Left) 6mts are the same (for the most part). Only difference is the FD, 02-03 maximas had the only unique one (A final drive of 3.7, may be too long for a VQ30 not properly setup), while all the others had the 4.1 (It's rumored that there's a 4.4 around for a certain year on a Sentra).

The info needed for a 6mt is in the All-Motor section and in my swap thread in the AM section.

I need to update my blog with info too....

Last edited by aackshun; 09-13-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:15 AM

I always get confused with gears.
With a final drive at 3.7, you would a lower cruising rpm, correct?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by seanwn
This is correct, with a 3.7 final drive on a 6mt you would essentially have stock 5MT gearing with a 6th gear on top of it, which is a bit much for the VQ30 (in my opinion).

This among others is one of the reasons why I wanted to go with a shorter final drive.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 PM

Your city??? I'm all over the middle U.S. so yeahhhhhhh.....

Eh, it's like this, make as much TQ as you can at the lowest RPM, then stay there.... Saves you gas, after another 4th genner down here got a 6MT he was seeing 36 on his road trips and I was like woahhh!! i had to try extremely hard to repeat 28-29 on my road trips so I was like efff it, I get to have LSD and good mpg? AND! The transmissions are cheap as hell? And I get to have good gear ratios to make the most out of our narrow powerband? So much win, why didn't nissan do this in the first place?!

So, in the end... Are you auto or 5mt? If you're 5mt you really can't do jack ish because of 5th gear being so short, but if you're auto I'd say get intake mani spacers, CAI (yes long tubing, even though I personally hate it, will help you increase power down low for highway trips.

You just really have to research and build your car a specific way to what you do the most often, sometimes the mods giving you the most power aren't the right ones for your situation, I took time to research and risked and got lucky on some things and this is where I ended up.

I will be there next week some time.
Well i'm running a 5spd, so idk if theres anything i can do when it comes to it. I'm thinking maybe buying a hi-flow cat or something. also, i was debating a CAI or building a SRI. But i also had seen the custom CA/SR that vqwla had on his and i was considering either buying it or creating a custom one for myself. i guess i'll come up with that over time.

also, will a motor spend more gas on higher heat? just a random question...

I am totally lost with the gear final drive when it comes to this...can someone explain it to me? how does this help?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Well i'm running a 5spd, so idk if theres anything i can do when it comes to it. I'm thinking maybe buying a hi-flow cat or something. also, i was debating a CAI or building a SRI. But i also had seen the custom CA/SR that vqwla had on his and i was considering either buying it or creating a custom one for myself. i guess i'll come up with that over time.

also, will a motor spend more gas on higher heat? just a random question...

I am totally lost with the gear final drive when it comes to this...can someone explain it to me? how does this help?
You'd want shorter piping than a CAI, I have not cared enough for this motor to do the math and build an intake to give me the proper power around 3k, but it'd be something longer than mine and shorter than a fender CAI.

My high flow cat has called it quits, I'm pretty sure it's blown out now because now my car leaves exhaust marks on the bumper (from running herrra rich, unplugged O2 remember!).

Technically no, because if the ECU see's the Intake Air Temp correctly it should run leaner because the oxygen in hot air is less dense, thus less Oxygen entering your motor, making it run weaker.... But a weaker motor would need to work harder to generate the same power.... You see the dilemma?

The higher the number the shorter the gear.

Remember that.

Last edited by aackshun; 09-13-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:59 PM

Aack, what kind of speeds do you do with your highway driving?
Would you happen to know the final drive in the 4th gen 5spd?
what would your speed be at 3k rpm?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM

Aack, what kind of speeds do you do with your highway driving?
Would you happen to know the final drive in the 4th gen 5spd?
what would your speed be at 3k rpm?
Normally? Now 80 (With the 5mt 74-76mph), but this time I was purposely trying to save gas, so 75esque, whatever felt the best w/ cruise control on.

Yeah you can google it but off of the top of my head (most likely WRONG, don't go by this) 3.71, 'memmer your gears are different though.

85-86mph is 3k for me now (Instead of 74-75).

So to cruise at what I drove at, you'd have to do a highway trip at like 65mph.... Lame with a capital ELLLLLLLLL.

Went I first went 6mt I had a really hard time doing below 80 because of where the revs were, also with the lightweight flywheel it's pretty easy to accelerate at all rpms now... easy to loose track and do 85+ now

Anywho, I will be going back to San An this weekend, and Kansas the weekend after that, I will try to travel lighter to improve economy as much as I can (Had A LOT of crap in the car on this trip).
Old 09-14-2011, 01:37 PM

Hm, yea cause 3k rpm pujts me at 74ish. Right now I drive a LOT. ~162 miles/day. My cruising is usually 80-83. And I'm getting 24ish. How could I post/share my excel sheet showing my mpg?
So if I understand this right, the sentra 6spd would give the lowest possible rpm at a given speed?
I need to be researching the "all motor" section and see if I wanna do this too.

Fwiw, I have installed cattman cai, fed conve(I'm a 99 cali), fidanza, 5tth gen clutch, jwt ecu.
And waiting for install 00vi, vafcII, and cattman headers/cat/back 2.5".
I think the 6spd would be ideal for me.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Hm, yea cause 3k rpm pujts me at 74ish. Right now I drive a LOT. ~162 miles/day. My cruising is usually 80-83. And I'm getting 24ish. How could I post/share my excel sheet showing my mpg?
So if I understand this right, the sentra 6spd would give the lowest possible rpm at a given speed?
I need to be researching the "all motor" section and see if I wanna do this too.

Fwiw, I have installed cattman cai, fed conve(I'm a 99 cali), fidanza, 5tth gen clutch, jwt ecu.
And waiting for install 00vi, vafcII, and cattman headers/cat/back 2.5".
I think the 6spd would be ideal for me.
I'd say ditch the CAI and get something with a bit shorter piping... but read below....

NO! Do NOT use the Sentra FD, unless you know a bit more about 00VI dynos and tuning than me (which is easily done, I gave up on the 00VI a looong time ago).

The Maxima (2002-2003) FD gives you the lowest RPM in any gear.

From the setup you plan on getting I would keep everything and use the Maxima FD, I think your setup is restrictive in terms of peak power and top end but giving you quite the low end, also with the power of most 00VI setups I've seen, ONLY the Maxima FD will work (except for one or two dyno's I've seen but again, I did not look into 00VI's enough to notice a pattern or a trend).

Last edited by aackshun; 09-14-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Install an oil separator in you PVC line if you want more MPG. I picked up 2; from 24 to 26 with mixed driving.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...3-weeks-2.html

Start with post 46.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by ajm8127
Install an oil separator in you PVC line if you want more MPG. I picked up 2; from 24 to 26 with mixed driving.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...3-weeks-2.html

Start with post 46.
Question, did you see any oil on your intake before?

I just took mine off and it's scarily clean.

I remember awhile back (during my 6mt swap) there was a nice little trail of oil leading to the TB, I cleaned it off... Now it's just a very very tiny stream like the width of a pen tip.

I will still more than likely make one, worse comes to worse I can sell it.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:11 PM

Question, did you see any oil on your intake before?

I just took mine off and it's scarily clean.

I remember awhile back (during my 6mt swap) there was a nice little trail of oil leading to the TB, I cleaned it off... Now it's just a very very tiny stream like the width of a pen tip.

I will still more than likely make one, worse comes to worse I can sell it.
I've never noticed oil in my throttle body. I would check to make sure your PCV valve is functioning properly. The only time gases will flow from the valve cover up the tube into the resonator is when you are full throttle (low intake vacuum), or when you have excessive blow by, according to the FSM. Normally that tube pulls air into the intake.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:02 PM

Do you know if any 6MT swappers with the maxima gears/final drive/idklol have reported a similar increase in mileage?

Last edited by schmellyfart; 09-16-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Do you know if any 6MT swappers with the maxima gears/final drive/idklol have reported a similar increase in mileage?
Good point; any inpiut from any other 6spd'rs?
Also aack, I've never driven the 6spd how is it's shifting compared to the 5spd?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM

Hey aack, aren't you planning/doing a 3.5 swap?
What is the 6spd & 3.5 supposed to be for mileage?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
I don't know anyone with maxima gears... Actually there's one guy here who is gonna put in the maxima gears coming from a 5mt, I will let you know on that.

And there's another 3.5 swapped 4th gen w/ maxima gears but he swapped from an auto, but I will ask him his #'s and make him report back in here.

The other VQ30 4th gen here with the sentra FD gets the same highway #'s I do (34-36mpg)

Also aack, I've never driven the 6spd how is it's shifting compared to the 5spd?
Much better, but hxcore 5mt users will not like it because of the "detached" feeling cables give you.

Hey aack, aren't you planning/doing a 3.5 swap?
What is the 6spd & 3.5 supposed to be for mileage?
I am planning one, aint happening for awhile, i'm in the middle of a nice and lovely body work detour.

Update on my last KS trip.

My first tank averaged out to 39mpg.

My whole return tank was 34 mpg.

After some longer discussion I think I may have pinned down why my MPG is always worse coming back.

The current theory I'm running with is just elevation and my car does not make the adjustments well coming back down to earth as it is going to a higher elevation.

That's the only difference I can even begin to fathom that would affect my MPG, it has always been worse coming back, but this time around it was a bit more dramatic.

And screw having a o2 sensor, forever CEL

Last edited by aackshun; 10-14-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Just the tip.

My first tank averaged out to 39mpg.

My whole return tank was 34 mpg.

After some longer discussion I think I may have pinned down why my MPG is always worse coming back.

The current theory I'm running with is just elevation and my car does not make the adjustments well coming back down to earth as it is going to a higher elevation.

That's the only difference I can even begin to fathom that would affect my MPG, it has always been worse coming back, but this time around it was a bit more dramatic.

And screw having a o2 sensor, forever CEL
You forgot to mention that you cant get 93 octane up there.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
You forgot to mention that you cant get 93 octane up there.
Even when I got the 93 in DALLAS I did not get my 40mpg back.

Something about leaving sea level going to thinner air with 93 is the key I think...
Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Forgot to factor in north blowing winds. They are a b!tch here all the time. Wind resistance will decrease you mpg
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by pflicht
Forgot to factor in north blowing winds. They are a b!tch here all the time. Wind resistance will decrease you mpg
That big of a decrease I would feel it, and the winds in TX/OK are no where near as intense as they are in KS, if my MPG was dropping in KS I would definitely say it was the wind.

On this trip my MPG went down as soon as I hit Dallas, and went down to 36-34 once I got gas in Manhattan and after awhile worked its way back up to 36 where it held on the whole way back.

Last edited by aackshun; 10-16-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM

Interesting. Then perhaps you are right.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:29 AM

I've got an 02 6MT with Maxima FD that is going in my 4th gen as soon as the flywheel machine work gets done. I can let you know what mpg I get. I was also wondering about the 3.5/6MT into a 4th gen combo. I wonder if a smaller engine working harder will be more efficient than larger displacement working less hard. I've actually got the 3.5 sitting in the 02 parts car sitting in the garage. So I would be interested in hearing any commentary on either combination of engine/transmission.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by vw3819
I've got an 02 6MT with Maxima FD that is going in my 4th gen as soon as the flywheel machine work gets done. I can let you know what mpg I get. I was also wondering about the 3.5/6MT into a 4th gen combo. I wonder if a smaller engine working harder will be more efficient than larger displacement working less hard. I've actually got the 3.5 sitting in the 02 parts car sitting in the garage. So I would be interested in hearing any commentary on either combination of engine/transmission.
Use a lightweight flywheel and crank shaft pulley, and lighten the drivetrain up as much as possible everywhere, wheels, brakes, etc, that way the impact of the taller gearing won't be so detrimental and you'd enjoy the benefits of doing 80 @ like 2.5k

Our cars have variable ignition timing, so IF YOU'RE RUNNING PREMIUM GAS the car can advance the timing far enough to where 6th gear on the maxima 6mt-FD will feel like your 5th gear on the maxima 5mt

I'd probably have different driving habits if I had the maxima FD. With my current Sentra 4.1 FD, It depends on my planned speed... I have two shift patterns, 2-4-6 if i'm going above 45mph and 1-3-5 if i'm going below 40mph.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-01-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:59 PM

Bro, how did you do it!? im bouncing around between 17.5 and 20 mpg on my 6 speed. it has full bolt ons, obx headers, full exhaust, pnp ssim, and spacers!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
Bro, how did you do it!? im bouncing around between 17.5 and 20 mpg on my 6 speed. it has full bolt ons, obx headers, full exhaust, pnp ssim, and spacers!
Exactly what im trying to find out...i'm fully bolted with obx headers, megan exhaust straight piped and that pretty much it motor wise...its killing gas like crazy!!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 PM

Exactly what im trying to find out...i'm fully bolted with obx headers, megan exhaust straight piped and that pretty much it motor wise...its killing gas like crazy!!
From stock was getting sh1tty gas mileage popped the headers on and gained like 30 miles more to the tank now with all my mods gained like 40-50 on a tank, depending on how I drive, my girl trips out like I gained a sh1tload of power and improved my MPG....and no tune yet ...GL...

And nice Numbers Aackshun...im nowhere near there...
Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
From stock was getting sh1tty gas mileage popped the headers on and gained like 30 miles more to the tank now with all my mods gained like 40-50 on a tank, depending on how I drive, my girl trips out like I gained a sh1tload of power and improved my MPG....and no tune yet ...GL...

Damn...lucky dude....mine is horrible....idk what im doing wrong..
Old 12-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by clintb3astwood
You drive a 5.5gen I'm assuming?

This is with my stock VQ30 + 6spd transmission btw.

Your profile says you have a 4th gen... But are you 6mt?? When I was modded w/ the 5mt the best I got highway was 28mpg and 27 city, but I only had all the other mods (except the 6mt related ones) for about a month or two, not long enough to do confirmed #'s.

Also do you have a 3" catback? You're missing out on a lot of low end....

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619

What can you get total tank?

And thanks!! I miss my car and it's great MPG, I hope I get somewhere near the same w/ the 3.5L

Quick Reply: Aackshun's Current MPG Thread