4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vinyl wrapping interior panels? anyone?..

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:58 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Vinyl wrapping interior panels? anyone?..

I have some stains on my dashboard which are not removable. Looks really crappy and bothers me. I looked around for a dashboard and the price of even a used one ranges from 200-400$ plus shipping. Then I though of just painting the whole dashboard but I want to be able to return my car to stock if anything, and plus I'm kind of scared of painting it. So I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or information about vinyl wrapping interior panels, since vinyl can be removed if anything...

What kind of vinyl is best to use that will easily bend around all the curves of the dashboard and lay on well?

Any info about this is appreciated. Thank you
Old 12-27-2001, 04:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You have to use unbacked vinyl so it will stretch. Use 3M adhesive spray to make it stick. Spray both the panel and the back of the vinyl. Let the glue sit for a few minutes to tack-up. Then stretch the vinyl from one side of the panel to the other, using a roller to press wrinkles and air bubbles out. Staple around the edges, underneath where they won't be seen.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:58 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
You have to use unbacked vinyl so it will stretch. Use 3M adhesive spray to make it stick. Spray both the panel and the back of the vinyl. Let the glue sit for a few minutes to tack-up. Then stretch the vinyl from one side of the panel to the other, using a roller to press wrinkles and air bubbles out. Staple around the edges, underneath where they won't be seen.

thanks... will I be able to remove this vinyl later on? i'm ossuming there will be a lot of residue from the adhesive spray. I was thinking along the lines of vinyl with a sticky back which holds well but peels easy. I got some from ap-signworks.com from Shadow, it holds very well, has been on my door handles for months still holding great through all temperatures and weather. I just do not think it is flexible enouch to go around the curves of the dashboard. It also does not leave any residue on the surface it was applied to. Not even a sticky feeling, just peels off and you're done.

thanks for your response
Old 12-27-2001, 05:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've never tried to remove vinyl, so I don't know. The 3M adhesive would probably be too strong to remove. Maybe there's some kind of less-sticky adhesive that could be used. Find out what is on Jeff's vinyl and get some of that for the thinner stretchy vinyl.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:33 PM
Honda Convert!

yeah you will be able to take the vynal off but the 3-m adhesive is almost impossible to get off once aplied to material like the dash board, ive gotten some of that crap on my door panel and it took forever to get that sh** off but hey go for it if you want to that be a new one ive never seen before.

Bruce