4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Noise coming out of the shifter box

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 06:26 PM

Noise coming out of the shifter box

I don't know where exactly its coming from, sounds like a piece of plastic is rubbing on something in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd gear, when you let go of the gas, but not in neutral. What can it be and how much would it cost me? It has gotten worse starting yesterday, before it was just making this noise only on sharp turns in 1st or 2nd gear...Thanks for any replies!!!
Old 12-28-2001, 03:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Noise coming out of the shifter box

It is doubtful that your shifter is causing the problem. However, right below that is a heatshield, and also the CAT and end of the Y-pipe. It is fairly common for the bracket holding up the Y-pipe to hit against the metal above it, and also for the heatshield to be loose. The exhaust vibrates under throttle but also sways during cornering. My advice would be to push and prod things down there while the car is cold (so you don't burn yourself on a hot exhaust) and see if you can hear the sound and its origin. Some have bent the metal above the Y-pipe bracket...
Old 12-28-2001, 03:00 PM

Re: Re: Noise coming out of the shifter box

Originally posted by Mishmosh
It is doubtful that your shifter is causing the problem. However, right below that is a heatshield, and also the CAT and end of the Y-pipe. It is fairly common for the bracket holding up the Y-pipe to hit against the metal above it, and also for the heatshield to be loose. The exhaust vibrates under throttle but also sways during cornering. My advice would be to push and prod things down there while the car is cold (so you don't burn yourself on a hot exhaust) and see if you can hear the sound and its origin. Some have bent the metal above the Y-pipe bracket...
Thanks for the advise, it doesn't sound like a metal rubbing but like a plastic...anyway, I'll check it out. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2001, 03:16 PM

Re: Noise coming out of the shifter box

Originally posted by EuroMaxima99SE
I don't know where exactly its coming from, sounds like a piece of plastic is rubbing on something in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd gear, when you let go of the gas, but not in neutral. What can it be and how much would it cost me? It has gotten worse starting yesterday, before it was just making this noise only on sharp turns in 1st or 2nd gear...Thanks for any replies!!!
I had the same problem and today I went to get my oil changed and when the mechanic lifted the car up I noticed that my heatshield over the catalytic converter was loose and the heatshield by the y-pipe was all ripped up. So after I tighted the bolts up the rattling stopped when I shifted at lower gears but I still hear some quiet knocking from underneath when I go faster so I guess I have to get a new heatshield for the y-pipe and see if that helps.