4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bulbs, Bulbs and more bulbs - My Test

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bulbs, Bulbs and more bulbs - My Test

Well yesterday I got my package from JC Whitney. It included three types of higher wattage bulbs all 80W/100W
There was the Diamond White, Diamond Blue, and Xenon.

I have pics, but my digital camera card is giving me issues so I'll have to upload everything later.

I have pictures of all of them versus my Piaa superwhites.
And after all of this, I'm going to return all of the bulbs.

The Diamond White are the best of the three for visibility. They are as white or slightly whiter than my Piaa superwhites, but they have the ion yellow coating which sometimes shows select yellow streaks. They are definantly brighter, but the lights seems somewhat scattered, almost glaring.

The Diamond Blue and the Xenon are almost identical. They are too blue in my opinion. I have the Piaa xtreme's in my fogs and they look slightly blue compared to my piaa headlights. These bulbs look very blue compared to my piaa xtreme. After looking at them for a while, they do look very cool, almost HID like. But the visibility wasn't any better than my piaa's. Actually it seems like most of the visible light was cast directly ahead, but off of center it wasn't as bright see. These would be good bulbs for people who want a nice look, but not for the people who want improved visibility.

I'll get the pictures posted soon so that everyone can make their own decision.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I am so glad you did this test before I did. I'm currently running the Diamond Blues and the PIAA H3 Extremes. The setup is the best HID look-a-like there is I think. So the Diamond White's aren't all that??? I was thinking of switching over to them. I have no problems with visibility with the Diamond Blues, much better then any other HID look-a-like blue Zenon crap I've tested. Still not great in the rain but not overly poor.

You don't think they match the PIAA H3 Extremes?? They compliment each other nicely I think. I also run the PIAA bulbs in the corners at 27 Watts. Platinum series I think there called?? Anyhow, guess I'll stick with the Diamond Blues for a while. Might go back to just a regular 9004 halogen bulb at 80/100 Wattage next time I'm due for a change.