4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fuse keeps blowing every time I use turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM

Fuse keeps blowing every time I use turn signal?

This issue has been pretty onerous... almost going through a pack of 7.5 fuses trying to diagnose the problem. I've had all the other usual Max problems, but nothing like this. The fuses blow only when I use the RIGHT turn signal. Left turn signal works fine. Thought I had it working last night, but tried again this morning and it blew once again. I tried to look at the wiring under the hood, but couldn't find anything.

It's pretty dangerous driving without using turn signals so if anyone knows how to solve this or any info at all, I would appreciate it. I mentioned this in an earlier topic, but its obviously more serious now since I can't seem to fix it. Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM

theres definitely a loose connection somewhere.

Take out the fuse. Check the wiring harness to the right indicator. Try if it works.

If it fails then check the wires itself and make sure there's no open ends and if there are wrap it up with electrical tape.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 PM

Look at the socket that the bulb plugs into for signs of deterioration, corrosion or whatever. Especially the front.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Look at the socket that the bulb plugs into for signs of deterioration, corrosion or whatever. Especially the front.
This. Corrosion is probably causing a short.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Well let's think about this logically.
If the fuse is blowing you have a short to ground after the fuse before the load (signal light) right?
I would check for corrosion around the socket befor the bulb if thats all peachy check the positive wire going to the bulb

If it was a bad ground it wouldn't work at all
If it was a short to power it would be always on
Old 08-26-2011, 04:20 PM
100% chingon

Light bulbs - cheap Chinese ****e often short out internally. You're lucky the fuse went instead of it melting the lighting unit.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 PM

I checked the bulb and socket for corrosion and scraped some off, but there wasn't much. After doing that I checked to see if it worked and it did....enough for me to walk away with confidence that I fixed it, but later on I went out and IT BLEW AGAIN. I guess I will try once more and focus on the ground and positive wires like Maxed Out said. The second I click on the right turn signal it would usually blow instantly, before even showing the signal light in my dash. The most recent blow was midway through a right turn in the middle of flashing. I have to buy a second pack of fuses and attempt to settle this issue...this sucks. Thanks for all the advice so far fellaz
Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 PM

If you have not already done so try and narrow it down to RH front or RH rear turn signal. Try removing just the front or rear turn signal bulb or just remove both bulbs and see if the fuse still blows. Make sure there is no water or bare/loose wires in either front or rear RH sockets.

Did the problem just appear out of the blue? Was some work being done on the car that could have caused the problem?

Does the fuse blow when you turn on the alarm by remote and the lights flash or when you turn on the hazard lamp? Probably.

Your green with yellow stripe (front) or green with orange stripe (rear) wire is shorted to ground. Take a close look at those wires and sockets.

Do you have an ohmmeter/multimeter and know how to use it. That would save you from blowing lots of fuses.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-26-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Nopike, i just noticed that when I lock my car...the lights do not flash. I will try removing the bulbs like u said and switch the harnesses to see if those could be the problem.

This problem came out of the blue. I replaced my dash meters with LEDs a few days after it started, but that is the only thing. I took it back out to see if I screwed something up on the board or wires, but nope...everything looked clear. I will definitely check out those wires Nopike. I haven't used an ohmmeter/multimeter before but I may invest in one. U have me excited to go outside and diagnose the problem now lol...too bad irene has other plans :/...

thanks, ill keep you posted
Old 08-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Try your hazard switch, what happens? The hazard switch bypasses the turn signal switch to turn those same bulbs on. If there is an issue with the bulb wiring a 10 Amp fuse, # 11 will blow when you turn on the hazards. Check fuse #11 there is a good chance it is blown.

If you find a meter remove the RH front and rear bulbs and check for a short to ground from the Green/yellow wire and/or the Green/orange wire.

Last edited by Nopike; 08-27-2011 at 08:04 AM.