4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My A/C is warm until I start driving...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey guys,

My car has had this problem since I got it last year. When I start the car the a/c doesn't get cold until I drive, no matter how long I sit there. I replaced a dead fan motor when I got the car, so that shouldn't be the problem. Also, when I drive the a/c gets ice cold...so cold that even with my black leather and in 100+ degree Texas heat I end up having to turn the vents away from me b/c it's too cold. I know, I know...I shouldn't be whining when there are so many 4th gens with broken a/c. I just would like to be able to sit in a cool car for once. Oh...if I am driving around and stop/idle it STAYS cold, so this is only for when its first started. My car has 159k on the original compressor also...

Any ideas? A/C is not my area of expertise. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by beegeezy
Hey guys,

My car has had this problem since I got it last year. When I start the car the a/c doesn't get cold until I drive, no matter how long I sit there. I replaced a dead fan motor when I got the car, so that shouldn't be the problem. Also, when I drive the a/c gets ice cold...so cold that even with my black leather and in 100+ degree Texas heat I end up having to turn the vents away from me b/c it's too cold. I know, I know...I shouldn't be whining when there are so many 4th gens with broken a/c. I just would like to be able to sit in a cool car for once. Oh...if I am driving around and stop/idle it STAYS cold, so this is only for when its first started. My car has 159k on the original compressor also...

Needs a re-charge, or a top off, its prolly got low pressure in the system
Old 08-26-2011, 04:11 AM

When I start the car the a/c doesn't get cold until I drive, no matter how long I sit there. I replaced a dead fan motor when I got the car, so that shouldn't be the problem.
Open the hood and find out.

Are the fans ON, or not?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:58 AM

your kidding, right???
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your a/c needs time to start cooling off the interior of your car. If you start it in 100+ degree temps, everything, including the HVAC components are HOT. It's going to take a while to cool off.

If the a/c works when your moving and keeps working even at an idle thereafter, then one would conclude it's working correctly.

Make sure your condenser is clean and both cooling fans are coming on when the a/c is on. A sun shade on your front windshield helps a lot too.

You could have an a/c shop look at the high and low side pressures to verify the charge is correct.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:44 AM

your ac is fine dude, its just texas heat. its like NJ said, everything is heat-soaked. my black on black was worse than the silver on black. my white one wasnt bad at all with the grey cloth.

i will say if you want it to cool down faster while driving also, crack your windows about 3-4 inches and let all that heat escape!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Wow...all of you have a reading fail. What part of "no matter how long I sit there" do you not understand? I've let the car idle for 15 mins and it still it stays warm. I've had the car for a year, so obviously the weather changes throughout the year. The problem is there if it's 75 outside or 110...doesn't matter. I'm not retarded, I know that the car has to cool down and that it takes a little while for the a/c to start working. This isn't what I'm experiencing. The a/c stays cold if I stop and idle AFTER driving. I know there is a problem but I'm just trying to narrow it down to the compressor, refrigerant level, condenser, etc...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB123
Open the hood and find out.

Are the fans ON, or not?
Yes

I should have said "isn't" instead of shouldn't. The fans work fine now.

Last edited by beegeezy; 08-26-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 AM

I believe that this is normal. Both of my max's do this ('92 SE and '97 SE).
AC coolong doesn't really kick in effectively until a little after driving.
I honestly think it has to do with the relatively slow speed of the compressor during idle as opposed to when you're moving.
All is better after the cabin gets cooled off, then the relatively slow speed of the compressor doesn't matter when idling.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
I honestly think it has to do with the relatively slow speed of the compressor during idle as opposed to when you're moving.
All is better after the cabin gets cooled off, then the relatively slow speed of the compressor doesn't matter when idling.
I was worried that the compressor needed to be loaded for the a/c to really work well. Have you had your cars for a long time? I don't remember this problem with my low mileage '98 that I had in 2005. Maybe cleaning my condenser will help...but what do clean it with that won't damage the delicate fins?
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by sanford7575
My car does this too. It might be because of an old compressor idk. But honestly, i dont worry bout it. AC ice cold!!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:56 AM

I was worried that the compressor needed to be loaded for the a/c to really work well. Have you had your cars for a long time? I don't remember this problem with my low mileage '98 that I had in 2005. Maybe cleaning my condenser will help...but what do clean it with that won't damage the delicate fins?
Simple green and low pressure hose.

Made a big difference on my home A/C.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM

jus rev the engine to load up the compressor. thas what i do
Old 08-26-2011, 12:35 PM

I also experience the same issue of not cooling until I start driving. I don't think this is normal. On my other vehicle, when I turn the ac on, I can actually feel cool air coming out of the vents when I put my hand close, on the maxima the air is warm coming out of the vents until I start moving. It's really bad, I live in Florida.

I already hosed out my condenser, my next move is to check freon level.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Is the thermovalve on the fast idle CAM functioning? When it's over 100f my plunger won't fully slide in to line up those cold engine lines. On those hot days my plunger slides in halfway but it still starts the engine at @ 1100rpm. Starting at a low RPM will take that compressor longer to function.

During the summer I open up that IACV screw more becuase I remotely start with the AC and fans switched on. That helps cool her quicker along with remotely opening the 2 front door windows.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:27 PM

Wow...all of you have a reading fail. What part of "no matter how long I sit there" do you not understand? I've let the car idle for 15 mins and it still it stays warm. I've had the car for a year, so obviously the weather changes throughout the year. The problem is there if it's 75 outside or 110...doesn't matter. I'm not retarded, I know that the car has to cool down and that it takes a little while for the a/c to start working. This isn't what I'm experiencing. The a/c stays cold if I stop and idle AFTER driving. I know there is a problem but I'm just trying to narrow it down to the compressor, refrigerant level, condenser, etc...
I read, and i do not have a fail! my 99 and my 96 both did/do the same thing. I used to autostart the 96 with the ac full blast... car would turn off in 15 minutes, id start it again and then go out there and it would still be warm. then id haul @$$ down a couple roads and id be nice n chilly.

it is possible about he low rpm compressor thing too, maybe the clutch doesn't engage until driving... who knows, either way, seems normal to me if all my max's have done it...
Old 08-26-2011, 02:32 PM

Wow, there is nothing normal about the a/c not working while first starting a car and idling. NOTHING. However, I don't know why it does this, either. I've had several maxima's, my current one is a 96, and none have ever done this at all, IT IS NOT NORMAL because everone else's just so happens to do this all of a sudden. OP, I feel for you when you come here to get an answer and get responses such as these. There are more capable people on this board.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
jus rev the engine to load up the compressor. thas what i do
I tried that, doesn't help.

Originally Posted by jholley
Is the thermovalve on the fast idle CAM functioning? When it's over 100f my plunger won't fully slide in to line up those cold engine lines. On those hot days my plunger slides in halfway but it still starts the engine at @ 1100rpm. Starting at a low RPM will take that compressor longer to function.

During the summer I open up that IACV screw more becuase I remotely start with the AC and fans switched on. That helps cool her quicker along with remotely opening the 2 front door windows.
I'm not familiar with the thermovalve, what is that?

Originally Posted by BENMAX03
Wow, there is nothing normal about the a/c not working while first starting a car and idling. NOTHING. However, I don't know why it does this, either. I've had several maxima's, my current one is a 96, and none have ever done this at all, IT IS NOT NORMAL because everone else's just so happens to do this all of a sudden. OP, I feel for you when you come here to get an answer and get responses such as these. There are more capable people on this board.
Yeah, I'm not trying to be a d!ck...I didn't think it was normal either. I think some of the forum members just assume everyone is dumb. I replaced my clutch, I think I can figure out how to operate my air conditioning.

I appreciate the validation.

Last edited by beegeezy; 08-26-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:17 PM

My ac blows decent when at idle it cools but gets much cooler as i drive, and if i drive for a while and idle after 12 to 15 minutes of idling my ac compressor kicks off completely and wont engage again untill a minute of driving thats the weirdest thing to me but it works great if not idling in a parking lot working on my system or wireing something up. i let it sit for 10 extra mins idling and the compressor never kicked back on even after revving it up, oh and it does this everytime.

what does this sound like to you guys? its a 99 with 230k miles original compressor n all.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by TravisCadello
My ac blows decent when at idle it cools but gets much cooler as i drive, and if i drive for a while and idle after 12 to 15 minutes of idling my ac compressor kicks off completely and wont engage again untill a minute of driving thats the weirdest thing to me but it works great if not idling in a parking lot working on my system or wireing something up. i let it sit for 10 extra mins idling and the compressor never kicked back on even after revving it up, oh and it does this everytime.

what does this sound like to you guys? its a 99 with 230k miles original compressor n all.
Youre problem sounds like it may just be low on refrigerant. If its kicking off then thats generally a sign that its shutting off on low pressure. Get your refrigerant level checked, but dont just blindly start adding refrigerant in.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Just the tip.

Hey guys,

How is it when you first start the car in the morning before it gets hot outside?
Old 08-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
How is it when you first start the car in the morning before it gets hot outside?
It's about the same as outside air, maybe just a bit cooler. The compressor is definitely engaged though.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:01 PM

Best thing to do is a get a copy of the FSM and read up on AC. That is what i did. Bought a set of gauges and read the pressures. Had a buddy with al the AC equipment and he confirmed what I had already learned.

You have to know what the pressures are to diagnose the problem. If the fans work, the condensor is clean, the belt is not slipping, and it blows cold when going down the road, then it is most likey the charge or the compressor.

Mine was a weak compressor, would not blow cold when sitting still, like at a stop light. would only blow maybe 60-63 when going down the road. I replaced the compressor, the dryer, and the evap valve, cleaned the evaporator and now it blows 50 sitting still.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 97 does the same thing. We've had all the charges and belts checked, and all are fine. When the a/c is turned on for the first time after sitting for a period, say overnight, no cool will be produced until after we start moving. After that, it's as cold as ice. If the car has been sitting for a few hours, it will cool right away after starting.

It was not this way when new, a long time ago, of course, but something has changed -- and the OP seems to have the same issue.

I also understand that the compressor does not cycle on and off with this generation maxima -- once the a/c is on, the compressor and radiator fans keep operating, but the radiator fans seem to have a high and low speed.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:13 PM

High pressure rinse your condesor fan with degreaser, rocks and debris stuck in the fins will cause poor cooling. You should recharge your sytem if the low side pressure is low around 25 psi and it won't take very much freon to get it to the right pressure since your a/c is already working. Just add enough freon to where it starts working when idling and don't add any more once it gets cold or you will overdcharge the system.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:18 PM

2011 bump.