4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration/Shuddering while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Vibration/Shuddering while driving?

97 maxima GXE, not sure where to start looking for this issue.

Primarily more noticeable at higher speeds. Usually 3/4/5 gear it is more prominent.

upon acceleration, there is a slight vibration i can feel in the car, when switching gears, once i release the clutch pedal, there is a momentary shudder for about a second, and then the powerband literally resumes. While the shuddering is occuring, the car isn't really accelerating.

I'm not sure if this is directly a transmission issue or something else.

wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
Old 08-30-2011, 06:46 PM

could be a knock sensor maybe or it could be tranny issue too take your knock sensor off and check it and if its still good move on from there but thats just me knock sensor is the number 2 problem with our cars the first being a bad ground lol
Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 AM

worn clutch
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Clutch was installed last february, impossible for it to be worn.

Also, would a knock sensor ever cause this type of shudder vibration?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:19 AM

try adjusting clutch pedal engagement point where it engages a lil earlier??
Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM

So what you're thinking is that the engagement point being off in some way?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Me[kk]A
While the shuddering is occuring, the car isn't really accelerating.
Sounds like a misfire.

Check:
Fuel Pressure
Fuel Injectors
Spark Plugs
Coil Packs

CEL on? If so pull the codes. You can use a scan tool to see if there might be any pending codes even if the light isn't on.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:08 PM

the engine at no point stumbles, everything is running smoothly. It's not like the engine hiccups and catches up.

If I were to pop the car in neutral, the shudder vanishes.

Car has no codes as well.

Last edited by Me[kk]A; 08-31-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 PM

So what you're thinking is that the engagement point being off in some way?
Im thinking that the egagement point may be a lil high, causing a brief stutter, until the clutch has completely engaged. Lowering the engagement point will ensure the clutch is catchin or engaging earlier
Old 08-31-2011, 01:35 PM

stupid question, but where do I look to adjust this?
Old 08-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by beatdown97
could be a knock sensor maybe or it could be tranny issue too take your knock sensor off and check it and if its still good move on from there but thats just me knock sensor is the number 2 problem with our cars the first being a bad ground lol
Knock sensor does not affect driveability at all. You lose some power and MPG due to ECU backing off timing, but there is no hickup, stutter, or shake. Sounds like coil(s). Could also be fuel related.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Clutch was installed last february, impossible for it to be worn.

Also, would a knock sensor ever cause this type of shudder vibration?
Not impossible - if someone drives the car and rides the clurtch, it will wear prematurely.

Also, when clutch was replaced, was the flywheel resurfaced or replaced? a warped flywheel can and does cause this kind of vibration...
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM

hmmmm, well I'm not a clutch rider for one, and when the clutch was installed i had also had a tranny rebuild done as well.

The guy was recommended and pretty thorough.

is there any way to further diagnose this without dropping the tranny? lol
Old 08-31-2011, 07:35 PM

does it only happen when accelerating?

is there any way to further diagnose this without dropping the tranny? lol[/QUOTE]

if it goes away when you put the clutch in then no. the only way to really diagnose your tranny or clutch is to look at them.

leaking any fluid? gear oil has a very specific smell to it
Old 08-31-2011, 07:45 PM

no leaks whatsoever, and vibration only upon acceleration. If i were to stay in a gear, lets say 4th or 5th, and on an on or offramp where there is an angle/incline, the vibrations gets more prominent.

The shudder is specifically related to shifting gears, and most pronounced at higher speeds. aka merging onto the highway, 3/4/5 transition.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:23 PM

no leaks whatsoever, and vibration only upon acceleration. If i were to stay in a gear, lets say 4th or 5th, and on an on or offramp where there is an angle/incline, the vibrations gets more prominent.

The shudder is specifically related to shifting gears, and most pronounced at higher speeds. aka merging onto the highway, 3/4/5 transition.
Don't pull your transmission. You likely have a bad coil. The misfire will be worse under heavy load, such as higher gears and accelerating. with the motor running unplug the coils one at a time. The coil that doesn't cause a drop in RPM is your dead one.

You might also have a fuel pressure problem, that would also be more prominent under load.

I just don't think this sounds like a transmission issue. Maybe if you were automatic, but your not.

Search for bad coil threads, and see if it doesn't sound the same as your problem.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:41 AM

I'll give it a go, wouldn't a coil in this case pull a misfire code and trigger a CEL though?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:35 AM

stupid question, but where do I look to adjust this?
the clutch master cylinder has a plunger rod that connects to the clutch pedal.

The rod has a nut on it where it mounts to the pedel. Loosenin and tightening that nut adjusts engagement point.

When u turn the nut, a lil turn affects will change the engagement point a lot. So half turn it until it feels better or lower.

I think i have a thread on this. Do a SEARCH for it.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:39 AM

Another thing man, u have to describe what u mean by shudder? Do u mean the tranny is engaging sloppily or the engine is misfiring or rpms jumping around? Does it seem like its coming from one side of the car? Does it feel suspension related?

Shudder is jus too general a term to really grasp whats happening with the car.

EDIT:

Cuz i drive a stick too. if i engage 3/4/5, the car transitions smoothly into each gear as long as i am in the correct power band for the gear

Now, if i am in too high of a gear for the speed at which im going, the engine does feel underpowered or "shudders" until im in the correct power band, but thats why your supposed to downshift.

Is THIS what u describing is happening with your car? If so, its normal man.

Last edited by cashoit; 09-01-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM

So I checked all of my coils, the engine sputtered on each one I unplugged.

Thank you for the help cashoit. I will look into that today as well.

As for the shudder, imagine the process of changing from 3rd to 4th gear. everything is fine as i max out 3rd gear. I press the clutch pedal down, switch to 4th, and release the clutch pedal.

the minute i release the clutch pedal, there is a shaking feeling occurring. The reason i call it a shudder vs a vibration is that it is quite a slow shudder for the speed i'm going. the power response of the car during that shudder period stays the same as if i was still at the end of 3rd gear. Once the shudder stops, then the power band of the next gear kicks in.

at no point during this shudder does the engine feel or sound impaired in anyway. That is what boggles me about it.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:45 AM

So I checked all of my coils, the engine sputtered on each one I unplugged.

Thank you for the help cashoit. I will look into that today as well.

As for the shudder, imagine the process of changing from 3rd to 4th gear. everything is fine as i max out 3rd gear. I press the clutch pedal down, switch to 4th, and release the clutch pedal.

the minute i release the clutch pedal, there is a shaking feeling occurring. The reason i call it a shudder vs a vibration is that it is quite a slow shudder for the speed i'm going. the power response of the car during that shudder period stays the same as if i was still at the end of 3rd gear. Once the shudder stops, then the power band of the next gear kicks in.

at no point during this shudder does the engine feel or sound impaired in anyway. That is what boggles me about it.
keeping with this scenario switch from 3rd to 4th...

u sayin, after engaging 4th gear and letting off the clutch, the car is slow to engage 4th? It should be a quick smooth transition

or does the car feel slow to engage as if u was downshifting to 2nd, and it takes a split second to catch 2nd gear cuz the car is tryin to get the correct RPMs?

Sounds like clutch chatter to me. Try adjusting the pedal man. See if a lower engagement point helps.

o damn man i forgot to ask...what clutch u running? OEM or Aftermarket? Thats prolly the first question we shd have asked lol
Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by cashoit
keeping with this scenario switch from 3rd to 4th...

u sayin, after engaging 4th gear and letting off the clutch, the car is slow to engage 4th? It should be a quick smooth transition

or does the car feel slow to engage as if u was downshifting to 2nd, and it takes a split second to catch 2nd gear cuz the car is tryin to get the correct RPMs?

Sounds like clutch chatter to me. Try adjusting the pedal man. See if a lower engagement point helps.

o damn man i forgot to ask...what clutch u running? OEM or Aftermarket? Thats prolly the first question we shd have asked lol
There is no feeling related to downshifting in this scenario. this feels like its independent of the rpms though. however, ill go for a drive and watch the rpms as the shudder happens.

the clutch is a stage 1 bully
Old 09-01-2011, 03:07 PM

so the shudder isnt rpm dependant, the rpms did respond to the gear shifts, but did not shudder along with the shuddering when it occurred.