4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

diagnosing code p1320-0201 intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 07:59 PM

diagnosing code p1320-0201 intermittent

Hi all-
I didnt want to start a thread and I know there is much here regarding this error code p1320-0201 related to ignition coil or resistor problems but the symptoms I have are a bit different in that most of the time this car runs fine. It is smooth, doesnt have a miss in the engine or anything that spells trouble, but every now and then and a little more lately, it will just start shaking and turning rough suddenly and act up for just a minute or 2 and then it straightens itself back out again and starts running fine again. When it acts up during that short time, the CEL comes on and it stays on until I read/clear it. It ran fine with no problem for the last three days but the engine light is on since I didnt clear it the last time it acted up. I tried a can of Seafoam injector cleaner and thought that might have been the problem but it had a spell after that so I don't know.
The only other code coming up with it is what I think is unrelated PO325-0304, the knock sensor which has come up before but when I cleared it the light would stay off. Not the case since this code p1320 appeared.
I've changed all of the coil packs a year or so ago and the engine idle has been good so far since then. Its just these occasional hiccups that come and then go away on their own ( so far) that is causing problems.

Any advice on what this particular problem may be..? Chances are tomorrow I will get in it and it will run just fine ( but probably not since I just said that !)
Thanks, O wise Maxima experts.....
Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 AM

This almost seems related to my thread with the coils fine and all, however, you're getting a code so I would think that fixing the hardware of the symptoms would be a first. Secondly, I assume that you have a 99 and I've heard nothing but nightmares on failing injectors with only the 99s

If you have the knock sensor, does it come and go? Do you lack power when you're accelerating? If so, check te knock sensor to see if it's cracked to determine if it's good. I'm also second guessing my diagnosis with my car as well, that it could be it. But who knows.

How does it shake? More specifically under what conditions?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:03 AM

its not the injectors.

ITs a 99, its the coils.

First question...where did u get the replacement coils? New or used?

Check the coils per Fsm. Replace if necessary. Check the coils arent slightly damaged.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM

My bad. I meant to say coils to him
Old 09-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Well, the thing is, I replaced the coils I guess its been two years ago now in groups of three a couple months apart. I did the back three and then the front three. They were new but the brand Autozone sells. They weren't OE but they were brand new. I thought for any individual coils it would show a misfire in that cylinder on the scan?

The shaking seems to happen as it is going into coasting up to a red light. It seems as though acceleration seems to bring it back around again and then it straightens out again, but at that point, if the engine light isn't on, it will come on then and stay on.
I've gotten the knock sensor code for awhile now and I would always clear it and it would stay out. I probably should give some blood and get the thing out.
Is it common for those to be visually damaged or cracked etc..
Indeed, it is a 99 and I've had it since 2002 and it only had 40K miles on it so its safe to say it has its original injectors in it, but here again, if one was faulty shouldnt I get that in a scan and wouldnt it remain rough ideling all of the time? I think thats why I'm baffled by it, the fact that it is a "now you see it, now you don't " problem.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:59 PM

...And BTW, thanks you guys for your input, I appreciate it much from those who seem to know the Max the best...you guys.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 AM

I know ya'all have been losing sleep over this one.. JK...but it turns out that indeed, it was coil # 4 front and center of all things right in front of my face. Replaced it with another original Nissan coil and it straightened out and all codes (even the knock sensor) went away.
SO-- indeed a failing coil can work sometimes and sometimes not as it didnt always do it.