4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need help troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Need help troubleshooting

OK i have two problems one of which I know was/is a problem and one of which i'm not sure of.

One of the safety tabs on the plug that connects to my coil pack was broken and was fixed with some silicon. How best can I repair this to make sure it does not become a problem again? E.G. can I replace the whole wire or should i just replace the plug?

2nd I think i may have a clogged cat. It sputters at idle and doesn't seem to have the same get up and go it used to , but the fuel economy remains about the same. I also hear a hissing sound coming from under the car?
Does this sound about right for a clogged front cat? No codes thrown.

Car is a 1998 maxima GLE 3.0

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM

To fix the connector for the coil pack may be more that you bargained for. If you are talking about the part that plugs into the coil pack, that's expensive. If you go to Nissan, they will tell you that you have to buy the the entire wire harness! Can you say the words "thousand dollars" without passing out? You cannot buy the connectors by themselves. Your choices are to go to the junkyard and cut the connector off a wire harness and splice it onto your car. An even better solution would be to plug in the connector as is and put a dab of silicone on it and call it a day.

The catalytic converter could be plugged or becomming plugged. The catalytic converter will not cause a check engine light. Usually there is an odor similiar to rotten eggs that comes from a plugged catalytic converter, but not always. Why don't you take the car to a muffler shop and have them diagnose it. Most places it's no charge to look at it.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:15 PM

For the connector you can also go to a Nissan dealer, walk into the shop area find the least ****head looking technician and ask him for one, if he doesn't know where the magical box of Nissan pigtails are then move on to the next technician lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:21 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

parts

Originally Posted by cockymax
OK i have two problems one of which I know was/is a problem and one of which i'm not sure of.

One of the safety tabs on the plug that connects to my coil pack was broken and was fixed with some silicon. How best can I repair this to make sure it does not become a problem again? E.G. can I replace the whole wire or should i just replace the plug?

2nd I think i may have a clogged cat. It sputters at idle and doesn't seem to have the same get up and go it used to , but the fuel economy remains about the same. I also hear a hissing sound coming from under the car?
Does this sound about right for a clogged front cat? No codes thrown.

Car is a 1998 maxima GLE 3.0

Thanks in advance for any help.
i have an extra wire harness and a few coil packs PM me if you need anything